Slugs? a good choice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beanie42

Juvie Member
I was talking to my friend some months ago about weird bearded dragon facts and good foods to give them...Such as bearded dragons possession venom glands that are useless.(cause I'm sad and love learning this stuff)

any way He mentioned that slugs or de-shelled snails are a good possible food source for bearded dragons as they are high in protein and low in fat (dragons not so good with fat).

Just wondering what your guys views are to this?

obv I wouldn't just pick them outta the garden as they are full or parasites and good knows what else.

Cheer in advanced

Beanie.

Beardednoob

BD.org Addict
I guess it could be fed, it maybe hard for a dragon to actually get the slug in it's mouth due to the mucus and some of the slugs anti predator defenses. I wouldn't ever feed anything from outside, you might have to find a breeder. I am unsure of any. The mucus of the slug has a horrible taste that may not be pleasant to bearded dragons.

There are natural predators of slugs and lizards are not one of them.
Frogs, toads, snakes, hedgehogs, Salamanders, eastern box turtles, rats, Caecilians and also some birds and beetles are slug predators.

Also found out that my ferret may eat these too, lol gross. i wouldn't feed them to him though, so he will never know. :wink:

Gail

BD.org Addict
I wouldn't feed slugs, their slime can coat the inside of the mouth and just about choke them. The blue tongue skink forum I used to visit had bad stories about slugs. Stick to crunchy bugs for dragons.

Jpiroden

Hatchling Member
as im sure other people have said, Slugs may suffocate your beardie from all of its mucus. Unless you can find a breeder that uses slugs or knows of using slugs as a feeder, i wouldn't do it

Beardednoob

BD.org Addict
Gail":12kszhku said:
I wouldn't feed slugs, their slime can coat the inside of the mouth and just about choke them. The blue tongue skink forum I used to visit had bad stories about slugs. Stick to crunchy bugs for dragons.

This I did not find anywhere while I was searching. Hmm didn't even think of it. I learned something new today... :wink:

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
A few years back, one of my females licked a slug once and the side of her mouth turned bright orangish-red. You could tell that she hated the taste of it and had trouble getting the slime off her tongue. I was able to wash most of it off and she never licked another one. So, I would say that it is certainly not a good feeder.

Beardednoob

BD.org Addict
diamc":2rin0x13 said:
A few years back, one of my females licked a slug once and the side of her mouth turned bright orangish-red. You could tell that she hated the taste of it and had trouble getting the slime off her tongue. I was able to wash most of it off and she never licked another one. So, I would say that it is certainly not a good feeder.

You know other then the mucus the slug is actually a decent meal. Too bad you can't just wash it off. :wink:

While I was searching for the OP in this topic I found a ferret forum. Someone had made a post that their 2 ferrets loved eating slugs. :shock:

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Well, after watching Sabrina's reaction after just licking it, I would certainly not recommend feeding them. Her tongue was going crazy trying to get the slime off and she kept swallowing hard like she felt nauseous. I can't imagine how she would have reacted (and don't want to) if she had eaten one.

Beardednoob

BD.org Addict
diamc":3jmioz05 said:
Well, after watching Sabrina's reaction after just licking it, I would certainly not recommend feeding them. Her tongue was going crazy trying to get the slime off and she kept swallowing hard like she felt nauseous. I can't imagine how she would have reacted (and don't want to) if she had eaten one.
LOL :shock:

Mistyck

Extreme Poster
diamc":ugbdo4t2 said:

I can just imagine the look she was giving you, like, "You didn't stop me from doing that Mom! How rude of you! You're supposed to know what I'm going to do and stop me before I do it!" lol Silly girl. :)

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yes Brandi, she must have expected me to stop her, she did it so quickly. Boy, I miss my inquisitive girl! :(

Carnivorouszoo

Sub-Adult Member
It might but it could ruin a pan and destroy nutrients in the process. I'm not sure on the ruining the pan part, but why risk it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunalane827
Top Bottom