Sluggish beardie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Dragons can definitely brumate at less than a year like yours is especially of they are large or close to full grown already.

I would've went right back at the vet and asked the who told her 95 was the max temp they should be exposed to. Maybe she is thinking of a different species?

Anyways, your temps are fine. Tried and true. Thousands upon thousands of owners have used those temps for decades with great success.

It's when we hear of owners using such low basking temps that we actually see health issues. The dragon can always move slightly further from the bulb to pick a cooler spot. But they cant magically make it hotter if it's not their preferred temp.

-Brandon

hellabombskies

Original Poster
KarrieRee":1tyyli7d said:
You can set up a gradient for basking temps- get a piece of decor that she has different places to sit-- there are decor pieces at PetSmart it's called a all living things knarled wood - something like that - it will give her a choice of where to sit-- if she wants lower heat she will find that spot or more heat etc...you don't want to have her only option of 90 or so- you will find if the basking spot is not hot enough she may not be able to digest her food properly
Karrie

She has various levels on her log to bask, and she sits on them in different spots... that is not my issue. The issue is that my vet is claiming that my temps are WAY too hot. It bothers me when the vet tells me that i am going to cause kidney issues for my beardie. Guess i am looking for validation that my temps are okay and i am not cooking my girl in there.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Your not--- if she is too hot she will move--- that is also why they gape--
Karrie

hellabombskies

Original Poster
KarrieRee":3c1zwlfq said:
Your not--- if she is too hot she will move--- that is also why they gape--
Karrie

So i spoke with the vet that my reptile shop recommends and they put me at ease. She promised that my temps are fine (that other vet sucks), and asked what the temps drop down to at night. I checked her thermometer and it dropped down to 64F. She claimed that that’s too cold and that i may want to put a heater for at night on the tank. So my question....what temps do you have your scaley children on at night? I was told that 72 is too high by a friend. So any input would be great.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
70's is good - 64 isnt bad -- it is up to you--- I have a CHE on my two tanks that are 120 gallon---- you can if you want it is up to you to get a CHE -- the tanks I have my room in is a warm room -- it is my computer room and I live in MN so we are cold here in Jan etc.......... I use a 100 watt bulb in the winter time and they usually are on 24/ 7 --- the cool side of the tank during the day is 80's or so and at nite they are around 72 -75 depending on how cold the nite is -- if its below zero they will drop to 70---
Karrie

hellabombskies

Original Poster
KarrieRee":38u7aznt said:
70's is good - 64 isnt bad -- it is up to you--- I have a CHE on my two tanks that are 120 gallon---- you can if you want it is up to you to get a CHE -- the tanks I have my room in is a warm room -- it is my computer room and I live in MN so we are cold here in Jan etc.......... I use a 100 watt bulb in the winter time and they usually are on 24/ 7 --- the cool side of the tank during the day is 80's or so and at nite they are around 72 -75 depending on how cold the nite is -- if its below zero they will drop to 70---
Karrie
My tank already has a 100 watt bulb basking light during the day. It’s a 40 gal tank. I will try a heater and see if it helps. She’s never been so sluggish

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
So for lighting you need your basking bulb that keeps temps 105-110 for a baby- 95-110 for an adult a good UVB NO COIL -- it is up to you if you want your tank warmer at nite -- a CHE they have no light just heat-- you don't want your tank warmer than 80 at nite--- cool like 70's is good-- how are taking temps-- stickons- are inaccurate-- you need a digital probe or infrared heat gun
Karrie

hellabombskies

Original Poster
KarrieRee":2okltid1 said:
So for lighting you need your basking bulb that keeps temps 105-110 for a baby- 95-110 for an adult a good UVB NO COIL -- it is up to you if you want your tank warmer at nite -- a CHE they have no light just heat-- you don't want your tank warmer than 80 at nite--- cool like 70's is good-- how are taking temps-- stickons- are inaccurate-- you need a digital probe or infrared heat gun
Karrie

I have both a probe thermometer and a temp gun and am going off of those temps. Okay so the basking light is perfect. I just see so many people talk about using 75watt basking bulbs in a 40 gal or larger and wonder how they do it and get the right temps.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
It depends on the room they are in how cold and warm --- depends on the tank if its glass or wood -- many factors ---
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunalane827
Top Bottom