Slow growing...

Status
Not open for further replies.

SammieLee

Hatchling Member
We got our beardie Oct. 6th. We knew he was very young when we got him...now it's been 2 months and he is still very little. I keep Reading all these stories about how much babies eat and I keep waiting for that but no luck yet. We are lucky if he Red eat 30 Phoenix worms a day and that is a good day....it is usally closer to 20. I leave worms in his tank all day and I feed him in the mornings. He is a little under 6in. He can eat all he wants.... How can I get him to grow? We feed Phoenix worms because he wouldn't eat crickets. I keep thinking about trying roaches and see if he likes them better. I would like to get a dozen and see if he likes them before I buy a bunch as I need up with 500 crickets he wouldn't eat after we got him. But I can't find anybody local that has some I can try. Any ideas?

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
It could be the set up, what type of UVB bulb or tube are you using and what are his basking temps. These are both crucial to get beardies to absorb their food & get their appetite back. Once we get that sorted we can figure out what else might be wrong. He's really little for 2 mo old.

SammieLee

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
sweetiepie9":36ce5axp said:
It could be the set up, what type of UVB bulb or tube are you using and what are his basking temps. These are both crucial to get beardies to absorb their food & get their appetite back. Once we get that sorted we can figure out what else might be wrong. He's really little for 2 mo old.

Setup is all correct... Reptisun UVB tube and Temp on the highest point is about 115 (he can pick the temp he wants to be at). I know he is really little but He is just a light eater. Any ideas on how to get him to eat better? He gets all the food he wants.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
You need to get that temp down, like I said 108F at the highest at the hottest spot, nothing higher. That's why he's getting upset.

SammieLee

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
sweetiepie9":1xrwvhcb said:
You need to get that temp down, like I said 108F at the highest at the hottest spot, nothing higher. That's why he's getting upset.

Everything I have read says 110 and the people I have talked to it can go higher as long as they can pick there own temp.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Even 110F is ok, but I still think it's too high. Try 108 & see what happens, you might have a happier beardie who will bask longer & eat more. Just saying, as that's what I did for my dragons when they were little. Rubio was only 24g when I got him, he's 22" long with a tail nip & 800g & he didn't like it any hotter than 106F, so just saying...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunalane827
Top Bottom