Sleepy time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

beardie osk

Extreme Poster
Rukia1988":qjakiomf said:
Yeah he isn't even eating the hornworms anymore. All he wants to do is bask and sleep. I am going to get his poo tested again in a week or two. Hopefully he will be all better.

I think that's a good idea, testing his poop..........but he also may be feeling better and wanting to brumate now, especially being 2 yrs. old, so the test results will give you the answer.

Rukia1988

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Well thats all and well but I can feel his hip bones and his back bone. He is super skinny since he has only ate for me 3 times in the past 3 weeks. I am just worried that he might not make it through brumation...I don't know what else to do for him I tried forever to get him to eat today and I even tried to make him made so I could throw the worm in his angry mouth. I'd rather have an angry bearded dragon than a skinny dieing one. Any suggestions? I have offered him supers, hornworms, crickets, dubias....nothing works.

beardie osk

Extreme Poster
Rukia1988":df14kpsc said:
Well thats all and well but I can feel his hip bones and his back bone. He is super skinny since he has only ate for me 3 times in the past 3 weeks. I am just worried that he might not make it through brumation...I don't know what else to do for him I tried forever to get him to eat today and I even tried to make him made so I could throw the worm in his angry mouth. I'd rather have an angry bearded dragon than a skinny dieing one. Any suggestions? I have offered him supers, hornworms, crickets, dubias....nothing works.

I'm sorry to hear this, so has the medication stopped? And have you had a fecal done on Lenny again? Are you still giving him the Reptaid? And last but not least, have you tried to give him some babyfood squash in a syringe by gently pulling down his lower lip, then sliding the syringe toward the front of his mouth until he opens and you can then slowly push a little of the squash in a little at a time.

Rukia1988

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I was posting this huge reply a few hours ago and computer deleted the window and just made me angry. Lenny went to the vet today and a few days ago for some shots. She gave me dog food and told me to force feed him that to get things going. It was a special dog food with lots of vitamin A and D. She said he looked low on both of those things. About and hour ago I as giving him a bath to clear the impaction and he went limp on me and floated to the bottom of the water and I was devastated....then he sparked back but only to suffer for 45 more minutes gulping for air and then he died....I feel awful and I just wanna cry. I did all I could....spent so much money but he just couldn't get better....

beardie osk

Extreme Poster
Rukia1988":1louqh6y said:
I was posting this huge reply a few hours ago and computer deleted the window and just made me angry. Lenny went to the vet today and a few days ago for some shots. She gave me dog food and told me to force feed him that to get things going. It was a special dog food with lots of vitamin A and D. She said he looked low on both of those things. About and hour ago I as giving him a bath to clear the impaction and he went limp on me and floated to the bottom of the water and I was devastated....then he sparked back but only to suffer for 45 more minutes gulping for air and then he died....I feel awful and I just wanna cry. I did all I could....spent so much money but he just couldn't get better....

Oh this is just awful, I am so sorry, :cry: I am heartbroken for you and yet there is a part of me that is angry. I hope you will contact the breeder who sold you Lenny, and demand your money back or get another beardie free. I know that's the furthest thing from your mind now, and I'm sorry to write all this now, at the time of your loss, but I think they should know all the money and time you spent, and how he never seemed to pick up and eat like the breeder said he had always done before. (I'm sorry for venting, forgive me)
You were so good to him, especially at this time of his life, you gave him a good home in his final hours..........we are here for you, I'm so sorry.........cyber (((((((HUGS)))))))

Rukia1988

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I literally contacted him when he died and said that it wasn't right and asked them what they were going to do about it. I told them I will tell all my friends and fellow herp lovers that they sell damaged beardies....and I know a lot of people....haha I can voice it on here and I can say it to all my friends from the Windy City Reptiles group. The vet wants to autopsy him to see what exactly killed him. She also offered a few places where I could get another one for possibly free and I said that I don't know if I want to get another one at this time. Its so sad I mean he suffered greatly....and it made me just want to do it myself....

beardie osk

Extreme Poster
Rukia1988":6hfa36zq said:
I literally contacted him when he died and said that it wasn't right and asked them what they were going to do about it. I told them I will tell all my friends and fellow herp lovers that they sell damaged beardies....and I know a lot of people....haha I can voice it on here and I can say it to all my friends from the Windy City Reptiles group. The vet wants to autopsy him to see what exactly killed him. She also offered a few places where I could get another one for possibly free and I said that I don't know if I want to get another one at this time. Its so sad I mean he suffered greatly....and it made me just want to do it myself....

I know you are sad and I'm sure anyone who reads about this is heartbroken as well, I'm glad you have Pip and Zippy to keep you company, I know it doesn't take the place of Lenny, but it helps to cuddle and heal the wound. Try to get the fact that he suffered so out of your mind, and keep in your heart that he knew he was loved and you did all you could for him. (I know this is hard)
Will the vet be paying for the autopsy, hopefully, it would be good to know.
I would keep on this breeder, be kind but firm, and let him know you mean business, if he's at all reputable, he'll follow through.

Now how are those little scaly dogs, Pip and Zippy?

Rukia1988

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Oh gosh Pip and Zip are doing great. Zippy comes out every few days to eat a few worms and then he goes back to the back of his cage to take naps. He is only 6 months old but I think he is already an old man lol. Pip eats so much and has the fatest tummy....She is actually giving me the stink eye right now because I didn't feed her today....I thought my sister would have since I was at work but now it is too late and the lights go off in a few minutes.

She is going to do the autopsy for free because she wants to know what happened so she can document the signs and become familar with the issue that happened so next time someone comes in with those symptoms then they will be able to take care of it. I am sad to think he might get all chopped up but then again he would be helping her out.

On a lighter note I got my first colony of dubias today and I have no idea how to take care of them....it came with water crystals and food. 55 females 55 males....tons of babies and I have no idea what temp they need to have and all that....my sister bought it at the expo and I was like we have no idea how to take care of these things....let alone know how to get them to breed....I know I needed to get started with them because I someday want to breed bearded dragons but ugh I feel kinda overwhelmed and like she made a mistake....

beardie osk

Extreme Poster
I'm glad Pip and Zippy are doing well, and I'm sure little Lloyd is doing well.

I'm glad your vet is taking care of the autopsy bill, and I hope she shares the info with you, and it's true, Lenny will be helping others.

As far as the dubia care goes: they breed best in warm climate, if you use a glass tank put a human heating pad or the reptile heat pad under the tank, the room air at 80 degrees is best for breeding but the pads will help. Stack egg crates, or papertowel/toilet paper rolls on one side of the tank, for them to hide in and lay their young, preferably the side with the heating pads. They are shy so don't be alarmed if they scurry when you go to the tank. On the other side put the water crystals in a shallow cover, grind up some high quality cat food in another dish, I can't remember what else they eat, (veggies I think) but google Dubia care and it should fill you in. Dubia's don't smell, or climb and are quiet so they're a good choice, but make sure you always have crystals available for fluids. The nymphs (babies) are small and they like to hide, but if the conditions are right, the Dubias will multiply quickly. Then you decide what size you feed your beardies.

Rukia1988

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I forgot to mention this but lloyd died as well on Friday...she kept him for observation because he had a really soft tummy and just really lethargic as well respritory infection he just couldn't get over. Its been a sad fe

w days in my house. I still have lenny in his blanket in his cage....I see his tail poking out and it makes me tear up...oh well I'm taking him to the vet on Monday so she can diagnos why he died.

Yeah we have them in a rubermaid tub with crystals food and egg crates. Ther are also two cobs in there as well. They are quiet little things. So a heat pad should do it then? I was just thinking our house gets in the 75 degrees at night so that's a little too cold for them. Ill check out dubia care in the morning. I was angry when I found out my sister spent almost 100 dollars on this....I was like seriously? When we could have started one for way cheaper....live and learn huh? Hopefully we can keep the reproducing going.

We have all different sized beardies to feed so we have our pick.

beardie osk

Extreme Poster
Rukia1988":cyz7kde2 said:
I forgot to mention this but lloyd died as well on Friday...she kept him for observation because he had a really soft tummy and just really lethargic as well respritory infection he just couldn't get over. Its been a sad fe

w days in my house. I still have lenny in his blanket in his cage....I see his tail poking out and it makes me tear up...oh well I'm taking him to the vet on Monday so she can diagnos why he died.

Yeah we have them in a rubermaid tub with crystals food and egg crates. Ther are also two cobs in there as well. They are quiet little things. So a heat pad should do it then? I was just thinking our house gets in the 75 degrees at night so that's a little too cold for them. Ill check out dubia care in the morning. I was angry when I found out my sister spent almost 100 dollars on this....I was like seriously? When we could have started one for way cheaper....live and learn huh? Hopefully we can keep the reproducing going.

We have all different sized beardies to feed so we have our pick.

This is almost too much for me to bare, and I'm not even living in your house, I'm so sorry, poor little Lloyd...........I'll say, it's been a sad few days for you and the household. I'm surpirse that the vet didn't say to put Lenny in the frig till she did the autopsy, (horrible thought isn't it?) :cry:
Yes, I'd look into the heat warmer for the dubias, they'll breed better.
I'm praying that you'll have a better next few weeks, (((()))HUGS)))((((

Rukia1988

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Yeah she didn't say to should I? That seems weird I could stick him in there for the night....thats just makes me feel terrible that thought....Ugh

beardie osk

Extreme Poster
Ya, I don't blame you, that would be hard for me to do as well, that's the nursing in me, knowing that those who have passed and are getting an autopsy need to be in the cool. Such a morbid subject, I'd just keep him in his tank.........I'm sorry, it's so sad. :cry:

Rukia1988

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Yeah I mean its only until tomorrow evening that I will be taking him to the vet for the autopsy. Little lloyd is already there and I think I will just let them dispose of the bodies. I would rather them do that then me getting him back all open. In other news I am now looking for two new exceptional bearded dragons to add to my collection. I have a german giant on hold I am so excited....wanted that one before lenny died...but its hard to talk about replacing him...even though I only had him for a month and he was sick the entire time. Life goes on things happen, things die. Life lessons learned. He was a sweet snuggler and I can only hope I find another one just as good as him. He had the coolest eyes and the smoothest back, because he was a lemon colored leatherback. *sigh* I think I am getting over it.

beardie osk

Extreme Poster
Wow, 2 beardies? That's great, where are you getting your german giant from? What do you mean, on hold? Do you have pics of him/her, and how old? Do you already know what your other beardie is going to be? Any update from Lenny's breeder?
I know it's hard to think about a new baby with Lenny now gone, but it does help to fill the heartbreak a little. And as far as the cuddling is concerned, if your new babies don't like cuddling, you can train them too, so don't worry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chriziz
Top Bottom