Sleeping: how long? (not brumation.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sirenique

Hatchling Member
My beardie Bones is about 2 years old. My fiancee and I are his caretakers: we are both college students, him in undergrad, myself a grad student. Lately, due to summer classes, we have been keeping earlier schedules.

I've been waking Bones up at 7am and leaving him a delicious, wormy salad. I'm home around 3pm, and he usually wants to go to bed around 5pm (sometimes earlier, but I just put him back under his lamp if he's trying to go to bed early, and he gives in and basks til 5pm). Is this long enough to be awake, for his age? I ask because when he was 6mo-18mo old, he would usually stay awake for about 3-4 hours longer than he typically does now.

Is this just one of those things that change with age? After all, I can no longer make it through the day on 4 hours of sleep like I used to in high school ;) is he sleeping too much, or is he perfectly fine? He is in excellent health, and when he is awake, he spends most of his time basking or exploring, so I'm not really seeing a change in good behavior due to this. I have no reason to suspect this could be him wanting to brumate, especially since he goes on walks in the park almost every day, and it's lovely out.

Luthien

Juvie Member
This is perfectly natural, all in all your beardie is awake for 10 hours. Any less then that and you might want to look into it. A beardie should be awake anywhere from 10-14 hours a day and even then some beardies have naps during the day.

bayoupig5

Sub-Adult Member
Emmalee seriously naps all day long, not heavy mind you, she still opens one eye if she hears or see something, but mostly she's a napper.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivannam17
Top Bottom