Sleep~ New owner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well for one I got my Beardie from Petsmart some of the workers there are informative while others arent and therefore I am left Slightly uninformed Ive been waiting a while for the book to come in to help me some...I was unaware he was supposed to be getting atleast 12 hrs asleep he has been usually only getting 8 at the most maybe 9 well he isnt seeming like he wants to sleep now and its only been 5 hrs and idk if its because I am up with the light on or what it says on most sites from what ive read that they usually sleep though the night so I was jw if it was normal if he decided not to be so tired or what......

w0554096

Juvie Member
Their lighs should be on for 12-14 hours.
They usually do not sleep if it's enough dark enough, unless they're really exhausted.
I have the same problem with my dragons, as their lights go off at 9 and I'm usually still up for a few hours..
SO, we put blankets in their tanks, and when the lights go off (and sometimes before) they will go burrow under their blankets.
Not all dragons do this..my old one didn't, so what I did with him was;
I'd shut his lights off, and about 20 minutes later he'd be getting pretty sleepy and I'd go in and cover him with a blanket. He usually stayed under it until morning. That way they get to sleep in complete darkness, undisturbed.

FlowerChile88

Original Poster
ty that was most helpful once I turned off the lights he did sleep more so I was happy of that I usually leave his black light on him while he is sleeping so Idk how the Blanket would work but if I see he isnt sleeping with them off I will turn off his light and give it a try :) Ty

sweetpea1981

Juvie Member
you shouldn't use a night light for the tank as long as the temps don't go below 65 degrees you don't need anything if it does go below 65 degrees you need a ceramic heat emitter that gives off heat but no light. Beardies like it dark to sleep.

FlowerChile88

Original Poster
ook ty like I said the petsmart didnt give me that much info as I would of liked the lady who sold him didnt know anything about Beardies all the research I did on my own and the one lady who I finally got a hold of who wrks there does own one so I am always askin her if I cant find it

sweetpea1981

Juvie Member
yeah, most pet store employees give out wrong info, cause they are trying to sell their prods. this is the best place to do your research and to ask any questions, the people on here are amazing!!!

FlowerChile88

Original Poster
well ty both yall will prob see loads of me asking all kinds of questions lol being a new owner u get curious for sure

sweetpea1981

Juvie Member
here if you want to go over your whole setup to make sure everything else is right you could answer these questions, then we'll know if everything else is right.

How old is your dragon?
How long have you had your dragon?
How long is your dragon?
What is the sex of your dragon?
What size enclosure do you have your dragon in?
What type substrate do you have on the bottom of your tank?
Do you use UVB lights?
If so, Is it a coil, compact, fluorescent tube, or Mercury Vapor bulb?
What is the brand name and number of your bulb? Wattage (if MVB)?
How old is your UVB bulb?
How close can your dragon get to the UVB, and where is the UVB bulb located?
Do you use a separate basking bulb? What kind and what is the wattage? Is it a white or colored bulb?
Di you have any type of night time heat source (ceramic heat emitter, colored bulb, etc)?
How long are lights on each day?
What are the basking temps?
What is the cool side temp?
What is the night time temp?
Do you take the temps with a stick on thermometer, a digital thermometer with a wire and a probe end or a temp gun?
Where exactly are you taking your basking temps?
Do you use a heat rock or heat pad?
What do you feed your dragon? Please be specific.
How often do you feed and what time do you feed (morning, afternoon, night)?
How many live feeders do you offer at time?
Do you gutload (feed) your crickets, worms, etc?
Do you use vitamin or calcium supplements? What brand(s)? How many days a week do you use each of them?
Is your dragon having regular bowel movements (poops)?
Do you bathe your dragon? How often?
Do you mist your dragon or offer water other than in the bath?
Have you gotten a vet check and fecal done?
Does your dragon share an enclosure with another dragon?

FlowerChile88

Original Poster
How old is your dragon?I believe he is 7 or 8 months now
How long have you had your dragon? three weeks
How long is your dragon? 7 inchs
What is the sex of your dragon? I believe he is male
What size enclosure do you have your dragon in? 25 maybe 30 gal tank
What type substrate do you have on the bottom of your tank? Terranium liner green said it was the best for his age
Do you use UVB lights? Yes
If so, Is it a coil, compact, fluorescent tube, or Mercury Vapor bulb? Coil repti glo compact desert bulb
What is the brand name and number of your bulb? Wattage (if MVB)? The basking light is 75 W zoo med is the name and the uvb is 10.0 for the uvb since he is so young and it is reptile glo
How old is your UVB bulb? not even 2 weeks old
How close can your dragon get to the UVB, and where is the UVB bulb located? Maybe 7 inches away from the uvb on a tall branch I bought him
Do you use a separate basking bulb? What kind and what is the wattage? Is it a white or colored bulb? Located above the watts are 75 and it is separate on the other side of his aquarium its silverish
Di you have any type of night time heat source (ceramic heat emitter, colored bulb, etc)? none at night other than the black bulb
How long are lights on each day? as of now 12 hrs a day
What are the basking temps? they get up to around 90ish never above
What is the cool side temp? around 80ish at highest
What is the night time temp? nver lower than 75
Do you take the temps with a stick on thermometer, a digital thermometer with a wire and a probe end or a temp gun? Stick thermometer with Digital on my end and a spin dial one on the other end that tells me the heat and humid
Where exactly are you taking your basking temps? on the end of his basking branch
Do you use a heat rock or heat pad? neither she said the heat pad would burn his stomach but needed to get a heat rock when I can
What do you feed your dragon? Please be specific. Crickets been feeding him no more than 4 a day he is a hungry lil guy and when I give him greens which are every other day to every other other day and I give him Mustard Greens and parsley
How often do you feed and what time do you feed (morning, afternoon, night)? afternoons to early nights when I get home
How many live feeders do you offer at time? I give him 1 at a time till I see he has completely ate the entire cricket then I give him another every min or so like I said no more than 5 but If I give him 5 I usually give him 30 mins apart in 2 and 3 increments and if he is eatting greens I give him about 3 and then wait 30 mins and then give him a small amount of his greens
Do you gutload (feed) your crickets, worms, etc? gutload? I give them the high calcium Flukers food and the calcium flukers cricket quencher as water
Do you use vitamin or calcium supplements? What brand(s)? How many days a week do you use each of them? I use the flukers gourmet style white powder I dust my crickets with before I feed him the crickets
Is your dragon having regular bowel movements (poops)? Yup Everyday they are very normal not runny about once or twice usually a day
Do you bathe your dragon? How often? I dunk him n his bowl of water atleast once a day
Do you mist your dragon or offer water other than in the bath? Both I mist him 2 to 3 times a day he loves being mist I didnt know I was supposed to bathe bathe him?
Have you gotten a vet check and fecal done? Yes thats all healthy
Does your dragon share an enclosure with another dragon? No he is the only

Hope that was pretty good enough??? Like I said havent gotten a book on him yet just going by what everyones been telling me to do

w0554096

Juvie Member
Alrighty, so there's definately a few things that you will need to change.
I'll go down according to the list.
First off, your baby should be in a minimum of a 40 gallon breeder. Larger is better, though 7 inches is quite small for a 7-8 month old beardie. Are you measuring just his body, or from his snout to the tip of his tail?

The coil reptiglo uvb lights can cause eye problems, and as of now the only UVB bulbs that are found to be safe are the ReptiSUN 10.0, Arcadia 12%, and MVB bulbs, though there are different types of those, so I'd reccomend doing a big of research if you go with that.
The black bulb really shouldn't be used, as we've already discussed above, though you don't need a nightime heat source since your tank doesn't drop below 65.
The dial thermometers can be extremely inacurate, so you'll want to pick up a digital thermometor with a probe, or an infrared temp gun. I am unclear if what you have is a digital one, as I don't know of any dial thermometers with a digital attachement. Regardless, you can get a cheap digital with probe at walmart for like 10 bucks, they work great. The dial ones can be off by up to 20 degrees in either direction.
Your temps should also be higher in the basking area. You'll want to place the probe directly on the basking spot where your dragon hangs out, and you want it to be between 105-110.
You also do not need to purchase a heat rock, as they can cause the same kind of dangers as heat pads. I'm not sure why the girl at the store wouldn't know that, if she knew about the problems of heat pads. :banghead:

Now- to feeding.
You definately need to be feeding him more. He should be getting at least 2 meals a day, and as many crickets (no bigger than the space between his eyes) as he can eat within 15 minutes or so.
You should also offer him salads daily..Even if he doesn't really seem to be eating them very much, it's good to get into the habbit now.
Mustard greens are good, but they really thrive on variety. Here's a link to an excellent list for feeding.
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutritionframeset.html
Also, I would definately reccomend doing a feeding before you leave in the morning. Just make sure that he has enough time to warm up before you feed him.
You'll need to make sure you're giving him at least 2 hours of basking after a meal before shutting the lights off for the night as well, otherwise they don't digest properly.
As for your calcium, is it the calcium with D3?
You'll also want to purchase a good vitamin supplement. Many people use Reptical. There are also some all in one supplements, which have both calcium and multivitamin together. Repashy Calcium Plus is one of them. If you don't get the all in one, you should do calcium 5x days a week, and vitamin 2x a week.
Also, you really should take the water bowl out of his tank, as it raises the humidity and most of the time they don't drink from it.
You can give him baths 2-3 times a week to keep him hydrated. They absorb water through their vents, and some of the time they will also have a nice drink while they're in there. Just make sure that the water is lukewarm, like you would for a baby, and comes up to around his shoulders.
If he's freaked out the first time you bathe him, you can try putting a towl underneth him to give him some traction.
You should also not mist him in his tank, as that too will raise the humidity, which can lead to upper respiratory infections.

If anyone else has anything to add, jump on in. :D
I know it can seem like alot to take in, but once you get their set ups and feeding scheduals down, then it's all cuddles and fun. For the most part anyways! ^_^

sweetpea1981

Juvie Member
everything the above poster stated is great, main things are getting the right uvb (reptiSUN 10.0 long tube or the arcadia 12%) and make sure you basking bulb is a bright white bulb and make sure it is not coated in neodymium (the coating can be harmful to beardies, it will say it on the box of the bulb if it is coated)
I also agree that at 7" he would be very small for a 7-8 month old, when you measure we generally measure from tip of nose to tip of tail, if your dragon is 7" from tip of nose to tip of tail I would say about 2 months old
and definitely start feeding more. put a big salad in the tank in the morning and he needs 2-3 live feedings a day. as much as he can eat in 15 mins a feeding.
So once you can get everything w0554096 and I stated going you will have a very happy dragon

FlowerChile88

Original Poster
Yes it is quiet a bit to take it but atleast it isnt as bad as I thought I kinda had a feeling his tank should of been bigger but I blame the first lady for that she said that the snake kit should do just as well as the bearded dragon kit since they where out of those ~facepalm~ well I just got corrected on his age though maybe yall can vouch for this ive had him maybe 3 weeks how old do they usually sell there beardies at???? I read online they usually sell them @ 1 month? I thought they had to wait till they where 6 months guess I need to go bk and raise hell with these people....I will def work on the bulbs that I can do I have no idea where to find an aquarium at a decent price they are so expensive here like crazy they usually go for about $200 here but I will keep an eye out for sure.....and his diet will be increased today he is sleeping atm he went to bed a lil later than me I am gradually working on getting his hours to the same as mine I didnt wanna just throw him into a new sleep sched.

FlowerChile88

Original Poster
And how warm does it need to be before I feed him I am about to leave n a lil woke him up a lil early so I could feed him....Just greens or both crickets and greens? and yes he had d3 n that calcium supp ...How does he drink water without the spray or water dish?????

w0554096

Juvie Member
I give my dragons about half an hour after lights on before I put their salad in. I don't feed mine feeders until later on in the afternoon, but mine are adults. I'd reccomend giving him about an hour to 2 hours with lights on before giving him his feeders. That way if he's hungry right off the bat he'll eat some greens. Just leave the salad in there with him.
You can always get a timer for his lights, so if you're a busy morning person, getting ready for work etc, he'll have already been up for awhile before you go. Timer's also help if you find you're not being consistant with lights on/lights off.
They absorb the water through their vents (their butt :D), so don't worry if you don't see him drinking.
You can still mist him, just don't do it in his tank. But really, if you bathe him regularly, he doesn't realy need to be misted.
You're just wanting him to sit in the water for 15-20 minutes.

Also, take a look at your local classified ads. There's almost always some tanks on there for cheap. Sometimes there's even custom made enclosures that people don't need anymore.I also have heard that Petco does a 1$/ L sale every once in awhile, so if you have a Petco in your area (I don't) you could keep your eye out for that.

Alot of pet stores sell baby beardies too young. I *think* that the general is that they're supposed to be a minimum of 6 inches from nose to tail before they get sold, but I was just in a PJ Pets today and they had a little 4in beardie in there. :banghead:
They were also feeding them 1 inch mealworms..what are ya gonna do. :x
Anyways, the most important things right now to fix are
1. Proper UVB lighting/Heating
2. Lots more food.
3. No more water/moisture in the tank.
If you can fix that within the next week, then you can work towards getting everything else for a perfect set up, but you should notice a huge difference in him right away with just those few things.
Don't get me wrong, he definately needs to get a bigger tank, as well as the multivitamin, but since he's so small right now, you can probably get away with it for a couple more weeks if you're low on cash. I'm assuming that you probably had a hefty bill buying all the pet store reccomended stuff that now needs to be changed out. :(
But keep in mind, once you get a good UVB and start feeding him more, he's going to be growing like crazy, so definately plan on a new tank ASAP.
Also, I'm sorry that my posts are also so long! I do try to keep them short and simple, but I somehow end up writing a novels. :oops:

FlowerChile88

Original Poster
lol no yall are great the more info the better he is great now really active and I call him Hungry Hungry hippo he lovesss his groceries and I officially measured him had a short day today @ wrk he is 6.5 inches he is much bigger than when I bought him he was prob more like 5 Inches when I bought him they never told me his age or anything I got my book today yey so I should have alot of 411 in it I hope atleast .....But he isnt acting puny I am just worried being a noob owner and all and I keep getting so much different info I feel crazy :shock: But from what I can tell he is healthy - a few misunderstandings ive had with different information I get but hopefully he will grow to be quiet the healthy Fella I just need to find a bigger tank stupid pet store shoulda informed me better on that though :x

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylis342
Top Bottom