Slate: Any advice using slate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fubardad

I do appreciate all the advice... here is the next "check" from friendly advice:
102544-7195552122.jpg
Thoughts and questions:
#1... I didnt realize hw fragile the damn thing was.
#2... Some parts are a little wobbly but I think I fixed it by putting slivers on the bottom so it will not wobble.
#3... While the edges are not totally even and there is a little bit of space between some of the tiles... (almost less than a millimeter) should I use a filler of something or thats just the way it is?
@4... Any other advice from slate users?

In regards to my upgrades to my tank... I did change from a dual dome and two (2) 150w basking lamps to see if I can get the temps I need.[EDIT: I have the right temps with 2 150w zoo med bulbs.] Im hoping that will help and I ordered a sunblaster reflector that will come shortly so I will have an "inside-the-cage" UVB with either a reptisun t5 ho 10.0 or if I can find an Arcadia D3+ at the reptile store, then I will just buy one there instead of shipping one.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I have put paper towels under the tiles to catch the runny / watery poop- make sure when you pull the tiles when you clean to spray the bottom of the tile too cuz it can soak in and still smell - I use water/ vinegar in a spray bottle w/ a little heavier on the vinegar!
Karrie

fubardad

Original Poster
KarrieRee":2wiotvxz said:
I have put paper towels under the tiles to catch the runny / watery poop- make sure when you pull the tiles when you clean to spray the bottom of the tile too cuz it can soak in and still smell - I use water/ vinegar in a spray bottle w/ a little heavier on the vinegar!
Karrie
Shoot... good point. Thanks again for awesome advice.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
My last post did not post-- are you taking temps w/ a IR temp gun --- it seems two 150 watt basking lamps are going to cook your dragon! I only have 1 Exo Terro 100 watt basking lamp in the back of tank w/ heat emitter sitting in front of it- that side of tank is warm --- basking rock is 105 or so ---
Karrie

fubardad

Original Poster
KarrieRee":udbg058b said:
My last post did not post-- are you taking temps w/ a IR temp gun --- it seems two 150 watt basking lamps are going to cook your dragon! I only have 1 Exo Terro 100 watt basking lamp in the back of tank w/ heat emitter sitting in front of it- that side of tank is warm --- basking rock is 105 or so ---
Karrie
That is the part that I do not understand... you mentioned that before and I really dont comprehend the difference since we have a very similar setup. I put the temps that I read with an IR temp gun. I think the only one I am concerned with is the basking spot in the middle of the branch of 115 and the front-left-corner tile of 105. The 89 on the back right is actually right behind the 2nd tile on the back where that little piece of the tree sticks up...
102544-5301245865.jpg
I guess I could try putting a heater or maybe 2 100w bulbs and see what it comes out? That would be a cheaper dual dome at least... but right now, dont those numbers look good? But, Im curious if the temps will get hotter once I put the UVB bulb inside the cage and change the bulb to a T5 HO or an Arcadia 12%? Because right now, the bulb is outside on top of the mesh and is only a 5.0 that came with the dome. But that will be replaced very soon!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
You want that UVB inside the tank - approx 12" from basking area -- and you could use the 2 100 watt but those 150 seem like over kill-- I would be afraid I would cook the dragon-- 115 is too hot-- do you need to use the branch as the basking area or can you use a rock or platform - the platform would raise the area you are trying to heat - Hiccup sits on his rock and its been running 105-107- so hes been doing the gaping thing- you can always raise the branch as well closer to the lamp------ just a suggestion-
Karrie

fubardad

Original Poster
KarrieRee":1rqxlosn said:
Karrie
Karrie... just to understand, you are using a 100w basking with a CHE during the daytime? And you keep both of those on to keep the proper temps? Do you use your CHE at night too?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Yes --- in the winter I keep the heat emitter on 24 /7 -- in the summer it goes off- I live in MN so its cold here - I take the temps w/ a IR gun every other day or so I am checking - the rock that sits under the basking area is not that high -- so its warm enough -- I just find it so hard to believe that your tank is not heating up w/ a 100 watt bulb- have your tried moving the branch or platform up to get the temp up?
Karrie

fubardad

Original Poster
KarrieRee":3kvfcw9t said:
Yes --- in the winter I keep the heat emitter on 24 /7 -- in the summer it goes off- I live in MN so its cold here - I take the temps w/ a IR gun every other day or so I am checking - the rock that sits under the basking area is not that high -- so its warm enough -- I just find it so hard to believe that your tank is not heating up w/ a 100 watt bulb- have your tried moving the branch or platform up to get the temp up?
Karrie
Ya, I tried elevating it with the other branch I had and using a single 150w and I couldnt get it past 100f. But even then if I do that, and put the hood/reflector on the inside of tank, the uvb would be less than 6" away from the middle of the branch. So, I think that would not be a good scenario. Right now, where it said 115 it is 111 but that is because I shifted the dual dome a bit and moved it more to the middle.

Im about to go to the store and by a couple of 100w bulbs and give them a try just to experiment and find out what I get. Worse case is that I just have to return some stuff and I find the right combination of bulbs that fits my temps for me. But, I didnt try using a 100w bulb with a CHE at the same time so I will also try that too.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
i wasnt sure what my temps were gonna be after I got rid of the 50 gal glass tank so I ended up w / the same bulb for the new tank even tho it was a lot higher- they said the bamboo holds heat better- and so far I havent had any issues w/ it not being hot enough and sometimes I wonder if its too hot-- my basking bulb is on top of the screen-- and is shining directly onto his rock-- i have found out his salad does not dry out as quickly in this tank as the glass tank - but I think its because the heat emitter is directly on his fake log-- try what you can - you will just haft to experiment w / it

Karrie

Shidohari

Hatchling Member
I haven't had the chance to use slate in my terrariums yet, i do know that you do have to watch the temps as has been mentioned. I have Porcelain Tile on top of repticarpet in my enclosures. It helps to cushion a bit, and catch the straggler waste issues.

Good luck with your enclosure, it looks great. I'm sure you're planning on adding more grapevine as funds allow. Keep us posted.

fubardad

Original Poster
Shidohari":d6fspqdy said:
I haven't had the chance to use slate in my terrariums yet, i do know that you do have to watch the temps as has been mentioned. I have Porcelain Tile on top of repticarpet in my enclosures. It helps to cushion a bit, and catch the straggler waste issues.

Good luck with your enclosure, it looks great. I'm sure you're planning on adding more grapevine as funds allow. Keep us posted.
Definitely will... at this point, Im just ironing things out but I will be making a "diary" thread just to keep things updated and to visually see how a beginner/noob like me started.

fubardad

Original Poster
KarrieRee":1fq49psl said:
Karrie
Karrie... What size CHE are you using?

Newest update to my heating: I am using a 100w basking bulb and a 100w CHE on and the intended basking area temps are 103 but I thought the idea temps are between 105-110?
102544-3920568437.jpg
I still kinda feel the left side should be hotter?
[Edit: Excuse the black mark in the pic... my editing skills arent that great.]

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
You are good for the basking temp--- my heat emitter is a 100 watt--

Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaineyPoo
Top Bottom