skittish dragon

Status
Not open for further replies.

tbostic91

I just got my juvenile beardie Corky about 3 weeks ago, at first I could pick him up no problem, but now he runs away from me and is super skittish... He is not aggressive, does not hiss or puff his beard, and has never tried to bite me (yet). He just does not want to be touched and runs away every time I try to pick him up, I try to handle him at least 5-10 mins a day, he evens eats treats when I hand feed him. He has beautiful color, healthy fat body, poops everywhere, and is VERY active. Is this something that he will grow out of when he gets older? Because I really would like to handle him more, and want him to CALM down lol

dylanravenj

Sub-Adult Member
Baby dragons are often very skittish. One thing that I've found works is to wait till they've fallen asleep at night, wrap them in an article of your clothing, and let them sleep on you :) Try doing this as often as you can. Just keep being consisted and don't worry! Dragons who are handled often almost always tame down with age.

KarenInCA

Juvie Member
dylanravenj":3vjp3ozs said:
Baby dragons are often very skittish. One thing that I've found works is to wait till they've fallen asleep at night, wrap them in an article of your clothing, and let them sleep on you :) Try doing this as often as you can. Just keep being consisted and don't worry! Dragons who are handled often almost always tame down with age.

I can't agree with this statement more. :) The trick is to wait till he's tired, and then gently pick him up from between the two front legs, and carry him to a sitting area (I usually take him to watch TV with me. Then, put him on your shoulder/chest/neck area with a soft blanket or your shirt over his entire body, or wrap him up like a burrito, but he might move out of the blanket if you do that, so if he does, just put the item over him. Rin likes it (at least I think he likes it) when I put one of his flannel blankets over him (used to be a small throw blanket, and I cut it up into 4 squares), and then gently rub my hand over it...both up and down his body. They LOVE soft things against their skin. When he really likes it, he will scoot his butt down about 2-3 inches, and it feels kind of like he's trying to squirm away and out of the blanket from the back end, but that's actually their way of settling in to fall asleep. When he is tired and does the butt scoot while on me, I KNOW he likes what Im doing.

tbostic91

Original Poster
KarenInCA":3p015yw1 said:
dylanravenj":3p015yw1 said:

I can't agree with this statement more. :) The trick is to wait till he's tired, and then gently pick him up from between the two front legs, and carry him to a sitting area (I usually take him to watch TV with me. Then, put him on your shoulder/chest/neck area with a soft blanket or your shirt over his entire body, or wrap him up like a burrito, but he might move out of the blanket if you do that, so if he does, just put the item over him. Rin likes it (at least I think he likes it) when I put one of his flannel blankets over him (used to be a small throw blanket, and I cut it up into 4 squares), and then gently rub my hand over it...both up and down his body. They LOVE soft things against their skin. When he really likes it, he will scoot his butt down about 2-3 inches, and it feels kind of like he's trying to squirm away and out of the blanket from the back end, but that's actually their way of settling in to fall asleep. When he is tired and does the butt scoot while on me, I KNOW he likes what Im doing.

Thank you, both of u, would a sock work to start? my shirt is way to big i think, hes only about 10 inches head to tail and hes in a 20 gallon long for right now, probably putting him in a 55 gallon next month, hes growing so fast!

Stolzieren

Hatchling Member
be slow and handle often, maybe after he's a bit tired out in the afternoon so he's not so wiggly
eventually when handled enough he will likely calm and be tamer, young ones are usually pretty jumpy

Brezzy99

Sub-Adult Member
I would think a sock would work, as long as it isn't stinky. :lol: A pillowcase would work well. Has he been better about handling yet?

-Sabrina

tbostic91

Original Poster
Brezzy99":12f1nbm6 said:
I would think a sock would work, as long as it isn't stinky. :lol: A pillowcase would work well. Has he been better about handling yet?

-Sabrina

ive been trying the clothing trick, he cuddles with it lol hes getting a little better, hes getting used to my voice, what time i feed him (he basically waits for me to feed him like a dog lol) hes still very jumpy but im going to chalk that up to young age. Hes never been aggressive to me even after my attempts of handling, which is good i guess lol

Brezzy99

Sub-Adult Member
Some take longer to adjust than others. That's great he is coming around some. You should post more pictures!

Roman1958

I too have a skittish 6 month old male I got on the 19 of June. The day I went to get him I took him from the habitat he had been in with his 4 other siblings. Guess he was a little miffed...he clamped down on my finger...the only time. Since then he will tolerate a little time in my hands then try to bolt. He'll take food from my fingers and stay still while in the bath. I'm going to start wrapping him up like the other posts have said and holding him in my lap. I have a very cushy polar fleece pillow case...I think he'll like that. Thank you for the information. His name is BANJO and he's gonna be my good buddy for the next decade, or more :)

Oldrocker79

I've read through the posts and saw some great suggestions. I have a new dragon (3 weeks), and although he started out very docile he has become quite aggressive puffing out his throat, hissing, trying to bite. He is very skittish now when ever you put your hand in or try to pick him up. He has even jumped off my chest...about 5 feet off the ground...to the carpet and then run under the couch. His tank is and has always been in the living room, he has displayed the typical arm waving and is well fed with the proper lighting. I realized the concern my 18 yr old daughter has of being bit may be being picked up by him and I do not want to inadvertently hurt him during his aggressive behaviors but we want to stop the behaviors now. We have had leopard geckos for almost 10 years and they have been wonderful. We love our Drak but some suggestions on how to deal with the aggressive behavior and win him over.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaineyPoo
Top Bottom