Sketches for upcoming viv - advice/opinions please

Status
Not open for further replies.

dolphinsilversea01

Juvie Member
Hey all. Sketched up a dream viv that has been gurgling in my brain for some time.
I may change a few small things here or there, the measurements are more of an approximation for now - although I would like to keep the 4 ft long x 2 ft wide.

Please read and check out my sketches (mind you I am not artsy when it comes to sketching out blue prints!) before commenting as there is ALOT (sorry) here - I want to be sure I get this right, and that Spike gets the King's Castle he deserves. I am not sure yet as to decor, or what I want to do yet other than what is in the sketches - one step at a time. I am hoping everyone can follow and get what I am trying for from my sad sketches.
I will write a bit, show sketches, and then ask some q's....

You will see that a foot(in length on left hand side) is cut off and makes a seperate room. This is mainly just a brain burst that I am hoping I can pull off. This seperate room, what I call the "jacuzzi room", is a way he will be able to go and get a soak on whenever he wants. But, the room is seperated so it won't mess up the humidity throughout the whole viv. The door way to this room will be under the ramp area from the 1rst to 2nd floor. The sketch shows just a bowl type for the "jacuzzi", but I was also considering one of those waterfall type things (pic below), so that the water is constantly flowing and filtered. I have also heard that they are more used to this type, that it is more beneficial as they drink from "falling water".
As you can see from the sketch, I have a ramp going from the water up to a ledge so he can bask in the "jacuzzi room" if he chooses. The exact construction of this, of course, may have to change depending on the type of "jacuzzi" used. The "jacuzzi room" will be aprox. 1ftL x 2ftW.
I will understand if this "jacuzzi room" just ends up not happening or feesable, but I really want to give this a shot and see if it will work, so please no "it just not gonna happen" - only help in figuring out how it can :D

The top view gives a better explanation and picture of how I want things. The left side 2nd floor will only go to ramp leading to 3rd floor, and the right side 2nd floor will extend all the way to back wall. The 3rd floor will be about 6" wide with a round balcany so my king can look over his land :D

Front / Straight on view:
2993765405_7610ff44af_o.jpg

From above view:
2993765373_a37ed1f347_o.jpg

Okay, my questions:
- How can I keep the water in "jacuzzi" warm?
- Can I use plywood and plexi glass?
- I want to make the front 2 sliding glass doors for easy in/out and cleaning. Honey is afraid roaches, crickets, and the like will be able to sneak between and out - Anyone have this trouble? Experience? Issues, etc?
- I like that now I can view him from every side, can I make whole viv from glass w/ wood frame?
- Is there a difference in which one - wood or glass - that keeps heat in better?
- If I make the whole viv from glass, what will help the secureness of all my floors and such? I want my floors secure and stable, but also considering making a few pieces removable to help with cleaning - advice?
- Ventilation: Is there a rule of thumb? If I have the enclosure being aprox. 18"H x 2ftW x 4ft L, is there a certain amount of vents I should have per foot, etc?

Okay, this is pretty much it for now. It is still going to be a couple months before I will be able to start the actual build, but I thought if I start now with ideas I will be set to build when I want to be.
Please give any advice, comments, etc. I have been checking out the DIY, viv pics only, and other sections where I have and will continually get tips and such also.

Thanks =)

nissaah

Hi
To help keep the water warm in the jacuzzi you could try heat rope or a heat mat under it, I don't know if it would be enough/too much though, you should do some tests. As for feeders escaping, I solved the problem my feeding my beardies in a separate plastic container (big tupperware storage bins). That way if anything is left over I don't mind, I put the lid on and the beardy goes back in the viv. :mrgreen: I got my adult in a glass container at first and really I liked the fact that I saw him from everywhere, but also noticed that since my lights are directly overhead it gives a reflection on every side. He keeps trying to beat himself up in the glass :lol: . So I'm building a new one and I'm going to use glass only for the door to the front. Hope my comments help. ;)

Jeremy11

Hatchling Member
You don't need to have a sauna/jacuzzi room.. they are a desert reptile and they could possibly get very sick. I sprayed my dragon when I first got him every day, and I ended up with a respiratory infection on my hands. You should make sure that you get perfect temps to ensure that doesn't happen if you go through with the idea.

If you don't try buying/making some other interesting level there instead.

How old is your beardie?

dolphinsilversea01

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I was told that he is about 2. I am not sure because I adopted him a while back.

As it is stated above - if it ends up that the jacuzzi room just can't happen then fine, but he loves to get his soak on and I feel bad because I don't usually have time to do this on a daily basis. I would still like to see if it can happen somehow. I don't want the water extrememly hot or warm, but just warm enough that he can get a nice good soak.

Thanks for your comments thus far!

Jeremy11

Hatchling Member
Just also remember that they don't have heat receptors on their bellys, a heat pad under water is just like a heat pad without it. If he likes the water so much throw him in the tub, they can actually swim there. My beardie loves it!!

dolphinsilversea01

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I don't want the soaking pool to be always hot, etc. I just surely do not want it to get too cold! Maybe somehow make it to where if it goes below a certain temp (the water) then some type of heaters kick on. I don't want this room to be humid itself - I am just calling it a jacuzzi room, well, I guess because it just sounds sweet :D. I don't really want it to be like a sauna(sp?).
I try to let him swim around the tub as much as possible, but do to time it doesn't happen very often and I know he does enjoy a good soaking - reason why I am going with the soaking room thought. I know it isn't a have to thing, I know alot will have to go into it to make it appropiate for him as for as temp, humidity, etc. This is why I am posting the idea so much in advance of actually being able to start the build.
Just please remember that I call it the "jacuzzi room" for just the name sake. I guess that does kind of give a wrong impression of what I am going for- sorry :oops:

dolphinsilversea01

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Bumping up for advice and answers to questions :help:
Now... give that advice:whip:
LOL...(that little whip dude is cool)
thanks

protiemama

Gray-bearded Member
Can't advise you on the "swim"room. Mine always poops in his water, so I could not do that. :oops: Love the levels. I'm working on a 2 level model now. We took the front off a 90 gal tall. (It's 36x24x36) We are making a wooden frame and sliding doors. The top will be screen for ventalation. I have made a "rock" wall that looks like a series of mesas. This way he won't see his reflection everywhere. :D
Hope this helps a bit.

Sandy H

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunalane827
Top Bottom