Size question

Status
Not open for further replies.

NBGwen

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Carl
Hey everyone - soo....when I bought Charlie, he was sold as a 'fancy' beardie at petsmart (lol yeah ok). Anyway. He was tiny, we figured 6 to 8 weeks. He was 31g and about 8 to 9 inches long. That was Feb 27th. I weighed him on Friday - 2 months since I got him. He is now 15 inches long and 199 g...and is only about 4 months old. I mentioned it to one of my Petsmart peeps that I know has them herself (and tries to change the way the shop keeps them), she wondered if maybe he had some German Giant in him - which could explain why he is growing so big.

Thoughts? I mean, I know have read that once the bloodlines are diluted 2 to 4 generations that they are basically just normal beardies, but he is already almost as big as some adults I have read about. It's crazy. It's kind of funny too - he's of course in a huge shed and I keep getting the stink eye cause he's so grumpy :lol:

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
I don't know what your feeding schedule is but, at his age 2 to 3 bug meals a day (as many as he can eat in a 10 minute period) is what they need for good steady growth rates.

NBGwen

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Carl
I feed him twice a day (I work full time, so 6:30 am and 6:30 pm) about 15 to 20 large crickets and a few times a week he gets butterworms for a treat and once a week he gets a hornworm treat, and he has veggies to pick at all day. I basically feed him till he stops (usually after 5 to 10 min), I I see he looks hungry still but not chasing crickets, that's when I give him his 'treat' :)

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
NBGwen":hsdfiiar said:
I feed him twice a day (I work full time, so 6:30 am and 6:30 pm) about 15 to 20 large crickets and a few times a week he gets butterworms for a treat and once a week he gets a hornworm treat, and he has veggies to pick at all day. I basically feed him till he stops (usually after 5 to 10 min), I I see he looks hungry still but not chasing crickets, that's when I give him his 'treat' :)
You are doing well, "Grasshopper" :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom