Size of light reflector dome- does it matter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm wondering if my dome fixture would be considered small. My dome size isn't technically incorrect- it is for a 100 watt bulb which is what I use. Yet, we also have a turtle in our household that we are currently babysitting who also uses a 100 watt, except this done is larger and can hold a bulb up to 160 watts. Here is a photo of the two domes in case that would be somewhat helpful to see.

Does size of the dome reflector matter? Does a bigger dome mean a better expansion of light or is the only thing that makes the real difference the wattage and not the dome?

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
The bigger dome will project a bigger patch of light and heat. The smaller done would be ok if the hot spot it makes isn't too small - you want it at least the size of your dragons body with no extra intense spots.

jarich

Juvie Member
The dome also influences how much heat is trapped around the fixture. Since all halogens are made with reflectors inside the back of the bulb itself, the dome wont make any difference to the spread of light, rather the trapping of heat. With a larger dome, the heat is trapped in a less constrained way, so you are able to have a higher wattage bulb. (the largest domes often have larger wiring also) If you tried to stick a 160 watt light in your smaller dome, you could start a fire or melt the wiring cord plastic. So its very important not to go above the recommended wattage rating.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cr0w
Top Bottom