Signs of Brumation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adriana0918

Hatchling Member
So Hemingway is 11 months old (A year on New Years :D ), Weighing 333g at a little over 17 inches and lately has been showing what I assume are signs of brumation. I could be and am most likely wrong about this since he's my first beardie and he's young so has never brumated. For the past week or so, he's been waking up in the mornings slower and going to bed earlier in the day. His appetite is also not as aggressive. He used to go absolutely crazy for his roaches and eat a whole lot of them (Medium and Large size). Now He'll eat them but he'll eat maybe around 7-9 of them. His lights are timed to go on at 5:30-ish am and go off at 6:30-ish pm. Is this too young to brumate and are the signs I explained even signs of brumation? Its also worth mentioning that we've been back and forth at the vets because about 2 and a half months ago he was diagnosed with coccidia and pinworms. I medicated him using 2 different meds (Ponazuril and Albon) but a second fecal after the meds showed a low count of pinworms. Right now he's on Panacur (took his first does last night) and will be taking it for a few weeks (4 doses, wait 10 days and then another 4 doses) and then they want to do another fecal a month after the last dose. Vet says she fears he may have a bacterial problem going on since I informed her of his poop still being not formed at all, just puddles of mess. She says after he finished his meds and gets his third fecal, we'll go from there. So if she decides to, he'll have to have a culture done. I guess I have a few questions:
1. Are these signs of brumation?
2. Is he even old enough for brumation?
3. Does the vets plan of action seem like the right one to take with all this medication and fearing of a bacterial problem?
4. If he is showing signs of wanting to go into brumation, I should stop him right?
5. Is a culture dangerous at all?
6. Could his poop being very liquidy be an effect of the pinworms?
7. Is the Panacur going to be hard on him? Is there anything extra I should do to aid him while taking the meds? I know the vet told me to keep him hydrated while on the meds but anything else?

And lastly, here's a picture of my (not so little anymore) little boy :D :
86297-2040934535.jpg
(He's a little tensed up in the picture, he saw a bird fly by the window LOL :lol: )
-Adriana

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi Adriana....it may be a combination of him getting tired of being medicated along with the slow down during this time of year. Panacur is not harsh, but every vet seems to dose it differently. Are his poos really liquidy, or just loose and smeared by the time you see them ? If you do put him on Panacur, offer a probiotic along with it. Since he's still a good eater he should be alright.

Adriana0918

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
His poops are really liquidy, like thick puddles. He doesn't smear his poop, he actually tries his hardest to avoid it. :lol:

Adriana0918

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
So today he only ate 2 roaches and has just decided to try to sleep. I gave him a bath today and he pooped (still liquidy but he's only been ob Panacur for 3 days so I don't expect results yet). Should I let him sleep ? Or should I wake him up and put him under the lights? I think tomorrow I'll offer him roaches at a few different points in the day so to make sure he's eating enough. Its still early-6:00pm

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
he looks like he's trying hard to warm up, check your temperatures and how long has his UVB light been in service, if it's over 6 months old , it's past it's UBD and needs replacing, reduced UV (A) will reduce activity levels.

How long are his lights on each day ? .... if you want to avoid brumation, esp if he's sick and under vet treatment, I'd keep the a LONG day cycle (about 15 hrs per day lights on).

Adriana0918

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Temp gradient is 77-80 on the cool side and 105-108 in basking spot. His UVB might be a little over 6 months old-maybe 7-8 months so I'll definitely order one tomorrow and it'll get here on friday. He does have two of them though, an MVB and a tube light so I'll replace both of those this week. Right now his lights are set to be on for 13 hours so I'll definitely lengthen that. Thank you! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cr0w
Top Bottom