Sigh...lost my second juvie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Siren

Juvie Member
I got a beardie from a friend of mine who just started breeding beardies. I am not new to beardies and have had 5 total for the past 10 years. I have rescued some of them. Getting three with MBD and under my care they got better. Even getting use of limbs again, not perfect, but so much better. So I got two juvies a few months ago They were one-two months apart in age. One from Petsmart where I work and one from her. They got the same food, same temps, lighting, etc. Reptisun 10. Calcium dusting. Phoenix worms, as well as crickets, fresh green, squash, etc. No mealworms. At first the baby from my friend was doing ok. But very quickly I noticed a change in behavior, weight, eating, and activity level. I took it to the vet and she was given liquid calcium. The vet was thinking MBD. Later that night, she died. My friend was as sad as me and brought me a new one. I visited her home a week later to get some superworms (for my adult beardie and daughter's blue tongue skink). I saw her adult beardies and they looked fine, but when I went into the "nursery", I was taken aback. The baby beardies were being housed all together, not uncommon. But many had tail/toe nips, some were missing entire limbs. One of the ones who had limbs bitten off died later, she told me. I think they were being fed lettuce. And I know they fed a lot of mealworms, not much crickets. The tanks could use a cleaning. It was disheartening honestly. She breeds ball pythons and has for a while now and they looked in great shape and care. These were her first beardie clutches and I think she was very overwhelmed the amount of care and difference of care between them and ball pythons. I bred balls too, I found them to be pretty easy to breed. Never bred beardies, because it seemed like a lot more work which I felt I didn't have the time for. She told me she won't be breeding anymore and sold all the adults. I felt for her because I knew she was in over her head and knew it too. And last night, my second beardie from her, passed. Same thing, MBD. The vet and I agree, we think it may have started early on. From hatching.

RIP Nox
995750_10201508179128247_1826907441_n.jpg

RIP Ivy
1234613_10201702898356106_826453406_n.jpg

My Petsmart beardie, total fat arse. VERY active, but calm when holding. Eats like a champ. Sticking with one juvie. Won't be "replacing" Ivy.
This is Harley
1469951_10202490224118758_142063755_n.jpg

brittani299

Extreme Poster
I am sorry :( Breeding beardies is a lot of money, time, and commitment. Most of the time you loss money of them.

DeweysMom

Sub-Adult Member
So sorry you've lost those babies. :(

How old were they when they passed? They look young in those photos. I would think if it MBD it wouldn't happened so quickly. I could be wrong though.

Either way, my condolences. :(

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The two who died both look like pretty extreme translucents. Were both the parents trans?

Obviously one of the parents had the trans gene, but if both did that would explain the deaths.

I agree with above^ Based on how old they look, I don't think MBD is the cause of death.

-Brandon

Goonie

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
I am so sorry this had happened to you :(

I agree with Mandy and Brandon in that neither Ivy nor Nox looked like they had a case of MBD.

Having gone through mysterious deaths with babies last year (Digi and Pookie's babies), many things could've happened: the parents' were too closely related, the eggs weren't properly incubated (temps were too high), improper temps/lighting in the babies tanks, or poor nutrition. The first two were possibilities for why the majority of Digi and Pookie's babies didn't make it.

Seeing that both Ivy and Nox were trans, it could very well be that the parents were too closely related.

Regardless of the reason, I am very sorry for your loss.

TheWolfmanTom

Extreme Poster
To be honest without knowing the full background on the breeding parents, a necropsy on the babies, or a full genetic screen these are all best guesses. However they are right in line with what everyone is suggesting. I have never bred trans to trans, but I have seen the results. I have had poor luck with clutches working with hypo genes. Those dragons seem to not do as well as my plain everyday normals.

Siren

Juvie Member
Original Poster
That all makes more sense than MBD. They were pretty small and though I don't remember if both parents were trans, I do know they had a few trans.

The first dragon, I beat myself up horribly for. Felt so broken that after seeing the vet it didn't work and I still lost Nox. I was thankful to get Ivy but I also got Harley within days of eachother. And to see Harley thriving and Ivy not, and then Ivy passed, I feel I couldn't have changed much to get a different result. Maybe it was genetic. I did no necropsy on them. I buried them in the backyard. :?

So putting all my focus on my rescued senior beardie Demona and my healthy juvie Harley. Waiting for my tax refund to buy them both some bigger enclosures and get them out of the tanks :)

Thank you all for some insight and support

wilddragons16

Hatchling Member
"So putting all my focus on my rescued senior beardie Demona and my healthy juvie Harley. Waiting for my tax refund to buy them both some bigger enclosures and get them out of the tanks :)"

Siren

Juvie Member
Original Poster
wilddragons16":fkuuoo63 said:
"So putting all my focus on my rescued senior beardie Demona and my healthy juvie Harley. Waiting for my tax refund to buy them both some bigger enclosures and get them out of the tanks :)"

I'm confused...you quoted me but didn't say anything in reply lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunalane827
Top Bottom