Sick Beardie, please help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReefLuvR

First off I'll admit, I don't know as much as I should to help him. My first step is to ask here. I hope you won't "flame" me too bad. I want to help him best I can.

My beardie is only about 4 months old. He's in a ten gallon tank with a heat lamp and UV bulb. Both bulbs are only about a month old. I'm measuring the temp & humidity with round stick-on dials. The temp at the top near the heat is 110 and the cool end is 80. I had sand in the tank, but couldn't keep up the humidity, so now I put in some wood-chip substrate suggested by the local pet shop. The humidity peaks about 60% after I mist the tank, and then stays around 45%. I have a large (8" square) container with water that I change daily. He was eating mostly mealworms, with the occasional wax worm (leftovers from fishing). I also put in mustard greens and collard greens daily, but I've never seen him eat any of those.

Here's the problem. I haven't seen him eat in nearly a month. After the first couple of days of not seeing any worms missing, I started also feeding the canned baby beardie fruit mix. He must be eating some of this, though I haven't seen him eat. The problem seemed to start about the time of his last shed. He hasn't opened his eyes, so I think maybe the skin didn't come off them. I've been bathing him for 10-15 minutes every day in warm water. I used to have snakes, and when their eye-scales don't shed, you use scotch-tape to peel them off. Can I try this? What should I do?

Embee

Gray-bearded Member
ReefLuvR":22a51 said:
First off I'll admit, I don't know as much as I should to help him. My first step is to ask here. I hope you won't "flame" me too bad. I want to help him best I can.

I'm glad you found us. Welcome. I give you a "no flames" guarantee! :mrgreen:

My beardie is only about 4 months old.

What size is your beardie, inches tip of nose to tip of tail?

He's in a ten gallon tank with a heat lamp and UV bulb. Both bulbs are only about a month old.

What type (coil, compact, tube?) and brand (ReptiGlo, Zilla, ReptiSun, other?) of UVB are you using?

I'm measuring the temp & humidity with round stick-on dials. The temp at the top near the heat is 110 and the cool end is 80. I had sand in the tank, but couldn't keep up the humidity, so now I put in some wood-chip substrate suggested by the local pet shop. The humidity peaks about 60% after I mist the tank, and then stays around 45%. I have a large (8" square) container with water that I change daily.

For a beardie, you need to be able to gauge three key parts of the tank, the basking, the ambient, and cool side. Stick on dials have been known to be up to 20 degrees off, and most importantly, because you cannot place a stick on dial directly on the basking spot, you can't know for sure what the exact basking temps are... which for a baby/juvie should be 105-110. Ambient, 85-90, cool side, about 80. To properly gauge temps you will need a digital thermometer WITH probe. With this device you can place the probe directly onto where beardie basks (leave for 45 minutes), and know the exact basking temps. VERY important.

As to humidty, you want it to be between 30-50%. Water dishes are rather optional with beardies as many do not drink from a dish. Great that you are bathing him, as beardies take in the bulk of their hydration from the vent (where they poop). This will keep him very well hydrated so if you're having humidity issues within the tank, you can remove the water dish as a help to that. That said, you want to refrain from any further misting of the tank. Beardies need a very dry environment, and misting can cause unnecessary humidity which can lead to serious respiratory issues.

There is an inexpensive thermometer/hygrometer with probe available at WalMart, for around $12. It's made by "accurite." Highly recommend.

He was eating mostly mealworms, with the occasional wax worm (leftovers from fishing). I also put in mustard greens and collard greens daily, but I've never seen him eat any of those.

Mealworms do not offer good nutrition for a beardie. They are also too fatty to be fed as a staple, and because of their hard shells, are an impaction risk. Better feeders for young beardies are crickets, phoenix worms, etc. Also, live feeders should never be larger than the space between beardie's eyes. Here is an excellent resource in feeding beardie: http://www.beautifuldragons.503xtreme.com/Nutrition.html

Here's the problem. I haven't seen him eat in nearly a month. After the first couple of days of not seeing any worms missing, I started also feeding the canned baby beardie fruit mix. He must be eating some of this, though I haven't seen him eat. The problem seemed to start about the time of his last shed. He hasn't opened his eyes, so I think maybe the skin didn't come off them. I've been bathing him for 10-15 minutes every day in warm water. I used to have snakes, and when their eye-scales don't shed, you use scotch-tape to peel them off. Can I try this? What should I do?

His eyes are closed, and he won't eat. What about poop? When was the last time? It's hard to say right now what the issue is. I think I'll have a better picture of things when you answer the above questions. In particular, about lighting. I do not believe you're dealing with a shed issue with the eyes, but I can't say for sure. If beardies have problems with eye shedding, they usually simply bulge out their eyes and get rid of the excess skin. Do NOT attempt the tape removal. Does he also close his eyes OUTSIDE of the tank, or just in? Did it happen quickly, or was it more progressive.

Also, about the substrate. I'm sorry you were steered in the wrong direction. Good that you got rid of the sand, but for the most part, loose substrates of any kind are not recommended for beardies (another impaction risk). Better and safer are repti-carpet, tile, slate, shelf liner, or just plain old paper towel.

*sigh* Ok, that's a lot to take in I know. I've been there! Please take a moment to answer my questions, and I (or someone else here) will see what we can do to help!

The best,
Em

ReefLuvR

Original Poster
Ok, here we go...

He is 9.5" nose to tip of tail.

The UVB is a coil type bulb, but it's hot right now, and I can't read it. I'll have to pull it out when the light goes out later tonight as I don't remember what I bought. :(

Ok, the humidity thing is good to know. I'm doing ok there, but will discontinue the spraying of he tank. I will, however, continue the baths. :)

I'll go back to crickets and skip the mealworms. I've never heard of phoenix worms. I'll have to research where to get them. Thanks for the food link. I'll spend some time there tonight.

He hasn't pooped in weeks. He's very lethargic, too. I forgot to mention that before.

I won't do anything about the eyes. Thanks for that info, too. He keeps them closed all the time now. It's been a gradual thing.

I'll also get rid of the wood chips. Boy, it sure would be nice to get good info at the pet store!! :angry5:

Thank you for all of your help Em. I hope you, or someone else chimes in with some more advice. He's just pathetic!

Jennifer

beardie parents

BD.org Sicko
Turn off your coil uvb. That is the problem with his eyes. Leave it off for a while to let his eyes heal. The coil uvb's do this to beardies. Take him outside to get some real sun if it's warm enough where you are.

chancellor91

Juvie Member
also sounds like your poor guy is impacted, could take him to the vet, can you rub his right side and feel bumps? or anything like that, try feeding some sugar-less apple sauce with a few drops of mineral oil or olive oil, i prefer mineral because thats what the doctor gave mine and she poo-ed next day, we need to know when she last pooped to

The suggestion I've been giving (and was given by a vet years ago) is to go to the store and buy vanilla ensure caloric supplement and some baby food like squash, garden vegetables, or fruit (not spinach, it binds calcium), and mix them to a somewhat runny consistency. I would also mix some calcium powder in there twice a week. For a little guy, a runnier consistency would probably be easier to feed, and better for hydration. The tough part for you will be to find a small syringe, they don't always have them in a one cc size (or should i say never) at grocery or pet stores. But find the smallest you can and feed him by trying to get him to taste the mixture by putting it on the tip of his nose until he licks it, then let him start lapping it up from the syringe, they like the flavor. From there, medical attention is recommended, but in the meantime, it's important to get some fluid and electrolytes in him before any solid foods I would think. Sorry to hear the little guy (or gal, who knows) isn't feeling so hot.

Hmmm, I'll add onto that, if he is impacted, you have to be very careful with the amount you feed. If it is impaction, syringe feeding is the only way to go to keep him at least hydrated until seeing a vet, like, for his size, no more then one to two ccs. I don't know that you should try to diagnose impaction though, if you feel something in their intestinal area (middle left, bottom right), don't pursue touching it, they hurt, and rupturing it is possible.

Embee

Gray-bearded Member
Hi Jennifer,

Thank you for answering my questions. I'm sorry your dragon is feeling poorly and not eating. The following are my suggestions.

He is 9.5" nose to tip of tail. The UVB is a coil type bulb, but it's hot right now, and I can't read it. I'll have to pull it out when the light goes out later tonight as I don't remember what I bought.

Ok, given your description of the circumstances, I was fairly sure that this is what we were dealing with but didn't want to assume. Sadly, it's all too familiar scene. :( Your beardie is in a bad way, and you want to act fast. DO TURN OFF THE COIL BULB, and discontinue any further use of it. Here is a link for more information: [ Invalid URL Removed / p= t=65424 f=1 ]

Certain coils tend to follow an eerily similar pattern of beardie decline: eyes closing (to shield from the UVB), and appetite waning to point of entire loss of appetite, beardie slowly shuts down. *sigh*

In the meantime, you'll want to get a quality UVB source. A ReptiSUN (not glo) 10.0 tube. Here is a link to the tube, at a great price: http://www.petmountain.com/product/reptile-fluorescent-bulbs/504983/zoo-med-reptisun-10.0-uvb-bulb.html You will need a strip fixture for it, which you can find at a pet store, however you'll likely find a cheaper one at your local hardware store. When on the tank, you want the strip and the basking bulb to align as follows:

_______tube
0 basking

...so that beardie has benefit of both bulbs while basking.

It's fine to have NO UVB for a few days, if you need to wait for the new tube. In fact, while your beardie is recovering from the coil, it is preferred to have no UVB for a few days, or even up to a week.

Ok, the humidity thing is good to know. I'm doing ok there, but will discontinue the spraying of he tank. I will, however, continue the baths.

Perfect.

I'll go back to crickets and skip the mealworms. I've never heard of phoenix worms. I'll have to research where to get them. Thanks for the food link. I'll spend some time there tonight.

That sounds good. Indeed, crickets will work fine, over the meal worms, certainly. I realize it's a bit of a "moot" point, as your dragon isn't eating, but previously, were you dusting with calcium and vites? For future reference, it should be 5 meals per week with calcium WITH D3, 1-2 meal per week with vites. If you need links to a good calcium and vitamin products at a good price, just let me know. Phoenix worms can be found here: http://www.phoenixworms.com They are an excellent natural source of calcium for your dragon, and tend to help stimulate appetite as most dragons love them. They are small, and I would say for your 9.5 dragon, to start with the mediums if you decide to go this route. They have a good protein/fat ratio, and can be fed as a staple if you like. Because of their high calcium, they do not need to be dusted with the calcium, but can be dusted with vites (1-2 time per week).

He hasn't pooped in weeks. He's very lethargic, too. I forgot to mention that before

Ok, I'm not surprised, this is fairly typical for this scenario. Your beardie is in a bad way. I would suggest having a fecal done, but it sounds as if you don't have a sample with which to work. The reason I inquired is when they experience this type of "poisoning" from the coil, is compromises their immune system, and makes it it more difficult for their bodies to manage parasites. Impaction is also a possibility (the mealworms, the loose substrate), but given that he hasn't eaten in a month, not pooping could be easily attributed to that as well. You've already received some good advice as to treating impaction, so I would try that along with the other suggestions.

I won't do anything about the eyes. Thanks for that info, too. He keeps them closed all the time now. It's been a gradual thing.

Turning off the coil light should help here, but again, it's been awhile since he started declining so I can't say exactly how well he will bounce back.

I'll also get rid of the wood chips. Boy, it sure would be nice to get good info at the pet store!!

*sigh* I hear you. I do. I've both been there, and done that. In fact, many of us here found this place because of pet store ignorance (and arrogance).

Thank you for all of your help Em. I hope you, or someone else chimes in with some more advice. He's just pathetic!

You're welcome. For now, as he is in a bad way (I would say critical), along with turning off the coil, you want to keep him warm, even at night. A CHE for nighttime if you have it. If not, a portable heat pack (like the the kind you put in your pocket on the ski slopes), wrapped in a towel and placed next to beardie. If you can't find that, you can fill a sock with rice, and warm it for a few minutes in the microwave, and again use a towel between it and beardie, so as not to burn his skin.

For getting food in, you can get some jarred chicken baby food, mix with a little water and place some on the end of his nose, see if he will lick it. If not, you might need to use a syringe.

As I mentioned in my above post, the correct temps (along with quality UVB) are crucial to beardie's health. I do recommend getting a digital with probe as soon as you can manage, so that you can know the exact temp of the basking area, in particular. With that, what is the size is your tank, and also, what is the wattage of your basking bulb?

In an case like this, I am always moved to PM a moderator for some back up, which I will certainly do. Once you mentioned "coil" and lethargic" along with eyes closed and not eating, it put the picture into clearer focus. It is late however, so I imagine you won't be hearing until tomorrow sometime. In the meantime, we're all pulling for your little dragon, and so I will leave you with one last question: any way you can get him to a vet, post haste?

Lots of support to you. Please feel free to fire away more questions if you have them.

Em

Embee

Gray-bearded Member
Jennifer,

I have placed a PM to Tracie (Drache613) for you.

Best to you, and hang in there,
Em

ReefLuvR

Original Poster
Thank you all for your quick advice and support.

I have turned off the coil UVB and will order the ReptiSun today. I have a strip fixuture I can use. I will also do some calling this AM to find a herp vet. This isn't a very large town, but hopefully I'll find one that will do more good than harm.

It sounds like the poor advice I received may have killed my pet. :cry: I feel terrible, but will do everything you've all suggested to try and save him/her. First thing this morning is another bath. Then off to Walmart to get a better thermometer and some baby food.

Thank you again for everything. Keep the advice/support coming. Makes me feel better that I at least found a second opinion!

Jennifer

LJean

Extreme Poster
Big hugs to you Jennifer.
Many of us have gotten bad advice from a petstore and have been in your situation. Turning off that light and helping him poo will go a long way in helping him feel better. As will making sure the temperatures in the tank are good.
I too agree with not feeding too much food right now, especially live feeders. What goes in must come out, so that has to happen before you add more to it.
The unsweetened applesauce mixed with a few drops of olive or mineral oil and baths seem to help with this.

I hope he feels better soon for you. Keep us posted.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Thanks Em & everyone else for helping Jennifer with her dragon!
I am sorry that you got some terrible advice from the pet store, it happens very often unfortunately.
As advised, please do turn off the coil light. How long did you use it for, & how close was it placed to your dragon? Did you have your basking light directly beside it?
You can go ahead & order the Reptisun 10 flourescent tube bulb at Petmountain however, please do not put a UVB light over him for at least 2 weeks, or until his eyes are back to normal. He has been overexposed to UVC & low wavelength of UVB emissions which is very harmful. Here is a report that you can read, concerning those compact & coil lights:

http://www.uvguide.co.uk/phototherapyphosphor.htm

Is he even remotely interested in any food, at all? If not, as suggested, use chicken or turkey babyfood along with squash babyfood to try & get some food into him. I strongly suggest getting him rehydrated right now, with water & pedialyte. He is very dehydrated due to the strong UVB emissions. Think about it this way. When we are outside at peak hours of the strongest sunlight hours from 10am to 2pm, we can sustain a sunburn more easily than at other times of day when the sun is not as intense. He has experienced peak intensity of sunlight for extended periods of time which has damaged DNA & dehydrated him.
So, rehydration is very crucial right now. Probably more so than food, at the moment. So, push fluids for at least the next week. You could make a slurry with squash, chicken, pedialyte, & greens along with calcium, daily for him. Feed frequently, at least 2 times per week, so he can absorb it better.
If you feel that he would take it, you could try to get some saline solution to help his eyes & use that daily, for up to 10 days. Just regular saline solution that you use for eye drops.
You can get some bee pollen & brewer's yeast at the health food store to help boost his immune system too right now since he is not feeling well. Also, keeping his tank around 75-80 at night to help his immune system too.
Have you bathed him also? That can help with rehydration as well as for impaction too. The sugar free applesauce, a couple of drops of olive oil or mineral oil, & canned pumpkin can really help with impactions.

Please keep us posted on him.

Tracie

chancellor91

Juvie Member
ya when mine was impacted i gave her a mix of
-flavorless pedi-lite
-chicken baby food
-3 drops mineral oil
-calcium
-minerals
-blue berry soy yogurt

my beardie absolutly loved this mix, even though it sounds disgusting, she loved it, and after about 3 days on it she went poo

thanks my suggestion to get some food into her/him

i think pooping with fix a lot of things, sure did with mine =)

Embee

Gray-bearded Member
Hello Jennifer,

Just checking in with you... how is your dragon doing today?

The best,
Em

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoonBug
Top Bottom