Sick beardie - not sure what the problem is

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gab122

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Wow! Thank you so much! I'm touched that you all are "working the problem" with me! Jenna I have to admit I thought you were nuts to suggest it was YF when so many others said it was a burn... But the more I thought about it the more I thought maybe she's right. :) you may be the answer to my prayers!

It's been a strange couple days... We decided to move our two dragons to the finished basement area because in the event of a power outage it would stay warmer there and honestly they share a divided tank but soon enough they are going to each need their own tank and it was the best place for two 50 gallon tanks. - even has sink etc in laundry area nearby.

So I moved them and must have broken the night heat light but didn't realize it until about 11 pm. I would have checked on them earlier but I had sliced my finger deeply unloading the dishwasher and was trying to get bleeding to stop! Thought I might need stitches as it continued to bleed whenever I checked it for over an hour. I finally got it bandaged and went to check dragons... I had purchased some hand warmers for just such an occasion only a few days earlier - set them up and read online that this brand averages 140 degrees! So I rewrapped them in more towels to the point that you couldn't really feel any heat :( then dawned on me we had a portable heater in the breezeway so I lugged that down to the basement (which set off my finger bleeding again!) but got that set up- got rid of the handwarmers and soon it read 70' in tank. Phew!

Then today I went out and bought a che unit to heat them at night. I shoot for 80' while they are still ill and position it above the divider then test each side. So I get home about 5 pm with that only to discover one of my power suns is not working! So I go back out and get a power sun before the store closes at 6.

My finger still kept bleeding thru bandages when I used it or bumped it - thought I might have to get stitches but no time today for dr visit. I built a splint with craft sticks and that has protected it enough no further bleeding. :)

So the new power sun went on hermies side and it's super bright! :) she looked like she was smiling as she basked! Also I treated her w/antifungal cream today on chest wound and left bandages off. It looks like it's drying out in the right way. Btw - She only looked in pain when I was treating area in past not when she lies on it. When she basks her chest wound is mostly raised off everything.

I love the idea you came up with tho and will try it out if wound needs protection. Right now I'm trying to give all her skin as much air as possible.

I've more to write - spoke to dr. Daughter is trying to stay up til midnight and wants some attention right now :)

Will post more later.
Feeling like we may have found solution!!
Thank you all!!
Happy New Year!
Gabrielle

Gab122

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Hi all,
Check previous page for recent post too. :)

Jenna- Forgot to add to last post I'm one of the 10 people in America not on Facebook or Instagram :) guess I'll have to join when my daughter gets older and wants an acct - so I can see what's going on. :)

Hermie happily basking :)

Nammer doing great

My homemade splint - I'll save you all from seeing the gory picture (it actually wasn't that gory) - lifting food chopper blade out of dishwasher - skin worn thin from excessive hand washing and sanitizing after dragons.

So vet wants to look into this lab - gave her your link to website Tracie - wants to test before oral anti fungal. Appt on Friday set up.

She wants me to do the following daily:

Morning:
Chlorhexadine soak then apply Anti-fungal cream then add Silver cream on top of it.

Late afternoon -
Betadine soak then cover in Vetericyn

I think that's the order she said. Will confirm on Friday.
Thoughts?

She also said it would be greats to get uvb light on her chest area by we couldn't think of effective way to do that.

Esther, I'll toss her the idea of putting pics on reptile vet board... Great idea! Thk you!!

Gnight all
- G

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Gabrielle,

Brilliant, Jenna for the bandage idea. :D That should work well!
Great, so you gave your vet the website for www.vetdna.com for the testing, right?
I am sure Ernie will help out as quickly as possible!
She looks great, basking! So she loves the Powersun?
Nammer is looking fantastic, as well!

I am not on Facebook, either, so you are not the only one. LOL

Tracie

Gab122

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Hi all,
Time for an update. :)

I started treating Hermie's wound as a fungal area last wed/thurs and it seemed to start drying out more. Scab fell off fri - saw vet fri - we both thought skin underneath was looking improved. Less raw... Some evidence of healing perhaps. :)

Photo of area on Fri after scab fell off.

Vet took swab and scab to test for fungus herself. Her in-office test will tell us yes/no if it's fungal but won't tell us what kind of fungal. Looking back I'm not sure what the benefit was of doing it this way. If it's positive for fungal I'm going to ask to use Tracie's recommended lab.

Dropped off poop from both dragons but haven't recd results of coccidia levels yet. Both were at 3+ right before christmas.

Per vets recommendations I'm treating Hermie this way:
Morning chlorhexidine bath and then applying lotrimin and silver cream. She wears bandage about 40-50% of daytime hours. Then in afternoon betadine bath followed by vetericyn cream and bandage. Let me know if any of this is a concern.

I tried Jenna's idea for donut style support (open near wound) but Hermie wasn't into it because wound covers so much of her belly that bandage thickness got too close to her limbs for comfortable walking. If her wound was smaller it would have been perfect.

Fri Hermie pooped and a bunch of clear fluid came out with it. ??? Does this indicate something?

I give Hermie serrepeptase for pain and bee pollen and spirulina in her carn care.

Her eating isn't the best but she's gaining a little weight. Sadly she's not interested in greens, Phoenix worms or even wax worms! :( she only eats carn care but I do add other baby food to it like prunes, green beans, peas or applesauce.

Nammer on the other hand is eating like a piggy and gaining weight and shedding to prove it.

They were both about 14 grams mid October and now Hermie is 36 and Nammer is 45! Nammers toes look great too.

This morning hermies wound:

Later today the top of the scab started to come off. Her scab sure does come off frequently. :(

Falling asleep. Will add more soon.
Gnight
Gab

Lskool

That hammock could be a tie problem. I have a soft one from Amazon. I feel bad you are having all the crazy problems. The shed on their toes and tails needs to be watched bc it can cause lack of circulation if it does not all come off. Don't buy from a pet store EVER again. Those poor animals look sick when I see them. Good Luck with them and keep them separate.

-Lizette's Mom

Jenna8359

Hatchling Member
I'm sure it is fungal. Look at the next wound starting to develop on the bottom! Oh lord. Get her to give you answers quick. I am posting an update to my yellow fungus dragom. The medicine has saved her life!

Jenna8359

Hatchling Member
I'm sure it is fungal. Look at the next wound starting to develop on the bottom! Oh lord. Get her to give you answers quick. I am posting an update to my yellow fungus dragom. The medicine has saved her life!

Gab122

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Wow! What a difference!! Dragon looks great Jenna!!
:)

Scab did fall off today :(

Coccidia Lab results in.
Nammer is at 2+ and Hermie 3+ still. :(

Hopefully improvent is around the corner...

Esther19

BD.org Addict
It looks to me like whatever it is is healing. I've been watching all along. There's still a ways to go, but it looks like we're heading in the right direction, for sure.

Gab122

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thank you Esther! Sometimes I feel pretty discouraged... So hopefully we'll have good results in the end. I know that once we get fungus and parasites resolved expenses will significantly drop. Yay!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Gabrielle,

You are doing great! I am so proud of you, hanging in with them both.
It is looking better, slowly. I am sure that the anti-fungal cream & silver will help Miss Herman.
How long will it take for her to get results?
As soon as the fungus clears more the coccidia levels should fall!
I am happy to hear Nammer's doing so well now. He is really gaining weight, too.

Tracie

Gab122

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
love these dragons

Hermie

Nammer's toe is improving!
Before and After photos

Nammer's other foot - before and after

sorry after photo out of focus -

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hseith
Top Bottom