Sick beardie - not sure what the problem is

Status
Not open for further replies.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Not the best looking poop but it's better than nothing!

The vet sounds promising. I look forward to hearing about how it goes!

Gab122

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thanks CooperDragon :)
We call Nammer our Super pooper :)

Tracie, wondering what your thoughts are about this product Tegaderm to cover Hermies wound. I'll ask vet Thurs also. Wrote more comprehensive update earlier today (one page back)

78760-7928639147.jpg

Edit -pic added
78760-1321982653.jpg

On another note Hermie didn't drink much water today and ate even less than yesterday. :(

Gab

Gab122

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Hi All,
Well Hermie ate a bit more than yesterday and drank more as well. :)

Tomorrow we go see new vet. Fingers crossed!
Gab

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Gabrielle,

I think that would be ok, it would certainly help keep that wound covered & protected so it could try to heal up. As she heals from the inside out, the skin will heal from underneath & grow up to shed.
Definitely let us know how the vet visit goes on thursday!
At least Hermie ate & drank a bit more today.
Keep up the great work & let us know how they are doing.

Tracie

Gab122

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I have to reschedule vet appt. More snow and lots of accidents on route. :( hubby doesn't want me to go today.
I think I shouldn't also. I have new tires but other drivers may not.

Edit - rescheduled for This Sat... :)
Hermie seems good this morning… :)

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Gabrielle,

OH too bad the weather isn't cooperating!
At least Hermies is doing so well today. I hope you are able to get to the vets
on Saturday then.
Try to stay warm. Let us know how her day goes.

Tracie

Gab122

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
To give you an idea of the snow here...

This photo was taken this morning in the parking lot of the store where I buy dragon food...

That's my honda Pilot in the photo and the snowbank is taller than my car! at my home the snow on the side of my driveway probably averages 4 ft! I'm ready to be done but there is already snow in the forecast again. ~ Gab

78760-6146848178.jpg

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Gabrielle,

Oh that is quite a bit of snow for sure! :D I hope your car doesn't get buried. LOL
Nammer looks quite content sunbathing.

Tracie

Gab122

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I just love that pic of Nammer - she looks so perfectly content! She had a belly full at the time too. :)

So my appt is tomorrow early afternoon. Snow isn't coming in til evening so I'll have time to get home before it. 12-18" expected in storm b/n sat night and tues morn.

Hermie's been doing really well lately. I don't force feed anything. I give meds and food on nose and she licks it. She's eating enough I think cuz she's still alert and curious. Her poop was much better formed today tho small. Her color on her head and part of her tail is a pretty citrus. Her back is still not shedding. I leave the bandage on about 50% of the time. I don't put anything on the wound. Just the bandage. No meds. The scab is still on! It's pretty hard too. I put anti fungal cream on the other dark marks on her belly and she's taking voriconazole as well. I think those dark marks are improving. :) :) :) I'll post a pic of her belly / wound tomorrow.

I'll update again tomorrow after my appt.
Gnight all,
Gab

Gab122

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Hi All,
So we had our appt today and I have a lot to tell and questions to ask.

First, my little dragons waiting for their appt. So cute!

78760-9290158180.jpg
78760-3206812041.jpg

All in all I'm not sure what to think of my appt today... What to think of this practice. The main/ lead vet was on vaca and he's the one who sees most beardies. :(
The vet I saw seemed a little young. They started off by checking fecal specimens for parasites and Nammer was clean but Hermie still has coccidia. Unfortunately they didn't "count" so couldn't give me a number but said there was a lot.
Nammer was 84 grams and was in good shape. She didn't know what to make of the dark spot on her arm. It's improving with fungal cream so she said to continue. It's almost gone.
Hermie was only 42 grams down from 50. She had an X-ray and tho the resolution wasn't great, the vet said it looked like her jaw was broken in the front (not left or right side) I think she said it was broken at a synapse? Or some word that made me think there was a joint or something right in the front of the lower jaw?? Anyone know about beardie jaw structure? She said she could glue pins on the outside but they could fall off and/or come off with shed and then we'd need to come back to do it again. Thoughts on that? She said it could take a year to heal. :(. She said I need to add calcium to hermies carn care mixture to help in healing. She couldn't tell me how much to add exactly. Anyone know? I have flukers calc/phos. Do I need calc with D?
She gave me something that attaches to a syringe and has a very narrow tube to insert in hermies mouth to feed her more. I tried it and it works great! She didn't fight it at all. It slipped in her mouth very easily. The food has to be pretty watery but that will give her more fluids. :)

78760-8257889365.jpg

I need to post this. Will be back to add more later tonight.
Gab

Gab122

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Appt update part 2:
Continuation from previous post.

As for Hermie's chest wound. She thought it could look fungal but wasn't sure. She said the blackish marks around her belly could be fungus as well. Since the spots are improving with topical anti fungal cream and voriconazole I shd continue both. I told her the wound tested neg for fungus at last vet and that it's kept it's scab now that I'm not applying anything to it. She wants me to put fungal cream on it and not use waterproof seal. I'm afraid the scab could fall off if I do put anti fungal cream on it. ??? Thoughts

I gave her the last scab that fell off. Kind of shriveled up. She's going to contact vetdna to find out if this sample is to old to be tested or not. Her lab would cost $100. :(

I have been very gentle around her mouth/jaw/chin area. The greenish on her beard... I think that's dried anti fungal and food/meds that is not coming off with gentle washing/scratching. ??? It seems when I put anti fungal cream on at night, it doesn't come off very easily. I forgot to point this out to the vet today. Could this be holding her back from shedding?
Btw- vet did not like how her back was dark.

Current belly and wound pics from today.

78760-7957638898.jpg
78760-8007644135.jpg
78760-1549889618.jpg

Refresher... This pic below is her belly from October.

78760-80541554.jpg

Here are some other areas where there are black marks (improving I think)

78760-7944729193.jpg
78760-6547604031.jpg
78760-612060484.jpg

This is right after a vent soak - I splashed warm water on her back... After these baths, the back and legs always have a white cloudy-ish look. ??? Still no shed. If you look closely at the photo of her back and legs, it looks like the white stuff can easily be scraped off... But it can't. ?? Same thing with green beard area on her chin, it's not coming off. ???

78760-8474008371.jpg
78760-8415803350.jpg

Edit: close up pics below of leg, chin, neck... Stuff that doesn't easily come off if I scratch at it.

78760-8729392634.jpg
78760-8039149949.jpg
78760-8252039542.jpg

Does this hand look funny? Sort of flat instead of curved fingers?

78760-4724094775.jpg

Her sweet face

78760-7385057453.jpg

She also mentioned the other head vet recommends highs of only 95 degrees for basking. I know that is not the recommended temp. I'm thinking she's mixed up and maybe he recommends 95 for adult healthy beardies??

That's all for today....
Take care
Gabrielle

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Gabrielle,

Goodness. The wound is pretty red. The vet wants you to put anti-fungal cream on it? You haven't been putting anything on it right now, correct? When did you stop using the silver cream?
She thought it was fungal too? I am pretty sure it is since the topical cream & voriconazole is working.
I think the wound still needs to be covered. How long has the scab stayed on now?
There is a scab on it now? It is pretty reddish.
How long has her skin looked whitish like that, you are sure it isn't pre-shed?
Are you putting anything on her body, cream, etc that could make it look like this? I certainly hope it isn't fungus on her entire back. It is hard to tell but the hand looks like pre-shed coloring. How long has her beard looked this way?
She looks so sweet, absolutely.
The basking really should be in a range of 95-110 for her at her age.
As far as the calcium, which one are you giving again? Since her jaw is broken, that syringe feeding needle will help greatly! Are you giving calcium 5 days per week? You could add D3 a few days to help with bone healing.

I really hope she is feeling better & had a great day!

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoseofChaos
Top Bottom