sick baby beardie

Status
Not open for further replies.
he started out eating just being lathargic for about a week but he was still shedding and stuff so i figured he was just growing so he slowed down a little but now his eating has slown and yesterday i found some vomitted up crikets in the tank i was very upset... like he seems ok some times like after you put him back in the tank he will run but the he finds one of his faverate spots and just lays there flat on his tummy or he will push his uper body up the corner so only his back feet adn tail are on the groud, his warm end i 100 and the cool end about 78 i started him on reptiuaid today adn when i picked him up his stomache just felt sunkin so i know its not impaction im ust scarded he is very lethargick and not really eating i give him crickets mealworms dusted in dragon dust... romain letuce carrots bannas zuccini mangos occasionaly, he has a 100 wat basking light and a 5.0 uvb repti glo he is in a 20l tank and he is on calci sand please help
rachel

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How old is your baby, & how long is he?
What are you measuring the temperatures with in the tank, a stick on thermometer, a digital probe or a temp gun?
I would take your baby off of the calcisand, he is too young to be on sand, especially the calcisand. That particular sand, when ingested, clumps like hard cement making a terrible impaction. Try using paper towels or non adhesive shelf liner instead & they are much safer right now.
The Reptiglo 5 UVB is that a flourescent or a compact or coil light? That is a very poor quality UVB light, so, unfortunately, you are going to have to get a stronger bulb. Try getting the Reptisun 10 flourescent tube bulb. You can get it from here for a great price, around $20.
http://www.petmountain.com

What sized crickets are you using, are they smaller than the space between the eyes? If not, that can cause poor digestion & impaction too. I would cut out the mealies, as they are way too fatty for babies & very hard to digest due to the hard outer shell, chitin. They can really upset their tummies & cause them to throw up sometimes.
How late in the day do you feed him? He needs at least 2 hours prior to lights out, for his last meal to be digested.

Tracie

frostygirl102506

Original Poster
it is the flourencent bulb i was told to get that one because the coiled bulb has a much smaller range on it and this runs almost the entire tank, and the crickets are a little smaller than the space between his eyes, he seems to be more active since i gave him the reptiaid about an hr ago, i bought some of that terrium turf because thats what i originaly h ad him on but i changed it because it seemed like his claws would get stuck on it occasionaly. he approximatly 13 inches maybe biger he was born around the fist week of january
rachel

chadwick757

Hatchling Member
could try a few things, bath method, baby food, also how close can he get to that uv? Just enter these things in the search box in the upper right....when is the last time he pooped?
Is he still on Calci-sand?
Can you post any pictures of the enclosure/beardie?

frostygirl102506

Original Poster
yesterDAY I BOUGHT THE REPTISUN 10 HE CAN GET WITH 4 INCHES WHEN BASKING AND IS REGULARLY ONLY ABOUT 12 INCHES FROM IT ON THE BOTTOM OF THE ENCLOSURE.. I AM WORKING ON PUTTING HIM ON TILE BUT SINCE THE NEW LIGHT AND REPTI-AID HE SEEMS MUCH BETTER BUT I WAS WOUNDERING HOW LONG IT WILL TAKE FOR HIM TO BE BACK 100 % HE IS BACK BASKING AND IS MOVING AROUND NOT JUST LAYING THERE

frostygirl102506

Original Poster
hello,
he seems to be a little better today he took the repti-aid like a good little dragon.. i think he knows he needs it. still not very active but he is definatly coming around he actualy got into he strike stance wich i havent seen in weeks i have a picture of him
but i keep hoping that he is on his way to being the same valentino he was a few weeks ago
thank you all

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunalane827
Top Bottom