Showcase cage....want to modify?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have the 48x24x18 showcase cage for Jericho. As you can see in the pictures below, there is a raised area for a heating pad (for snakes) and the raised area is kind of sunken in the middle. Obviously we don't use a heat pad. We have tiles down as his substrate, but because of the bump, they are uneven and it drives me crazy! I have used cotton batting for quilts to try to level it out. I'm wondering about using some kind of silicone or putty, like what they use to do tile flooring. Something I can smooth over the bottom of the cage to make it more level. There are two levels of tile now, and I don't mind that. One level all the way across would be cool, but either way it would just be nice to have a smoother surface to put the tile on. Any suggestions? Anyone have a showcase cage that they've modified?

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
There are so many things you could do, its really just a matter of what you feel like doing.

You could place plywood there to make the surface even, and silicone it in.
You could lay down some thick coats of grout until its level with the raised area. (will be heavy)
You could cut styrofoam and grout it to give the styrofoam more strength.

Endless ways to do it.
But they all lead to there basically being a filler, and something to make it more permanent.

-Brandon

jerichosmom

Original Poster
Thanks Brandon! Do you think any of those grout materials would be toxic? Like giving off fumes constantly? This area is under the basking light so it's typically pretty warm.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
No, grout should not.
Certain sealers could though so be careful in what you choose and let it thoroughly air out first.

-Brandon

Remy1187

The only modification I've done so far is installing the UV light inside the cage since it was too far away/obstructed by the mesh. With the air conditioner on this summer I've had a hard time keeping the ambient temperature up. The basking spots are ok, but everywhere else is kinda cool. Any suggestions for raising the temp overall?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunalane827
Top Bottom