Should worms be gutloaded and given supplements like cricket

Status
Not open for further replies.

herpfreak

Gray-bearded Member
I'm planning on feeding my adult BD (which I'm getting this month!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D ) crix every other day plus a couple worms along with the crix. I am going to gutload the crix with BD pellets (has all kinds of nutritional stuff in it), feed them veggies and fruits, and sprinkle them with Rep-Cal Calcium/D3 and Rep-Cal Herptivite.

Do I need to do the same things for worms I use? (I believe I will mostly be using silks and pheonyx-es (sp?)) What should I feed the worms? Can I keep the worms in any old plastic 10 gallon? Do they need anything else?

Catalyst

BD.org Addict
Silkworms need to eat a specialized food and I don't beleive pheonix worms are fed by you while you have them, so neither really requires gutloading on your part. The living environments for both differ - silkworms are usually kept in a plastic tub on top of platic grating that allows the frass (silk and poop) to fall through so that the worms don't get all gunked down in their own mess. Pheonix worms are generally kept in the container they're sent to you in (as far as I know - I've only dealt with them once). Pheonix worms don't need to be dusted with calcium (they're already naturally high in it), but otherwise worms should be dusted just like crickets.

Another option for an adult dragon would be superworms, they're very easy to keep, don't require any special food, and you can breed them yourself if you're so inclined.

Just a note, adult dragon's don't require a lot of live food - their diet should consist mostly of their daily salad with only 25-50 live bugs a week depending on which bugs you use.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tlpowell718
Top Bottom