Should I separate my lizards?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

We currently own two beardies that the pet store sold us as a pair. They are about 14 inches and about 12 inches respectively, and it looks like the smaller--Bandit--is a boy and the larger--Banzai--is a girl.

Bandit has always been smaller and skinnier. I feed them separately now because I have seen Banzai literally step on Bandit when they are fed together, and it would make Bandit stop eating. However, they are still enclosed together, in a 40-gallon with multiple basking spots.

Yesterday, I saw Banzai literally get on top of Bandit, grab his head, and force him off his perch. I am worried that maybe she has been bullying him for a while and I haven't realized (these are my first beardies). I am going to PetSmart tomorrow and burning some plastic on a second enclosure and set-up so Bandit can be king of his own little kingdom and they are out of each other's hair. I suppose what I'm looking for is reassurance that I am doing the right thing. They're not going to miss each other or something awful like that, are they?

Thank you for being patient with my insecurity.

Rampagingraptor

Sub-Adult Member
Welcome to the forums!
Yes, definitely separate them. You are definitely making the right decision.
Bearded dragons are solitary creatures, and it is very rare for them to actually get along when put in a tank together. A 40 gallon tank is nowhere near big enough for 2 bearded dragons, and is considered the bare minimum for a single adult dragon.
You are already seeing obvious signs of bullying between your dragon, then you definitely need to separate them. Bearded dragons generally should never be kept together except for as hatchlings when its kind of impossible to find individual tanks for all of them. Some people have success with it, but unless you are a professional bearded dragon keeper, I highly suggest against it.
Its best to just separate them as soon as possible before anything bad happens, as many such cases have ended with one bearded dragon being severely injured (such as missing limbs) or even death. It really isn't worth the risk.
Sorry If I came off a bit... Mean. I just like to make things clear.
If you have anymore questions, feel free to ask!

dragonmama2047

Original Poster
Thank you so much for your reply.

It's good that you were blunt--and you told me what I needed to hear. I want my dragons to be happy and safe, and they clearly need to be separate to be happy and safe. I feel approximately one-hundred times better about the decision and look forward to seeing them enjoying their own spaces. I just feel stupid for not realizing what was happening sooner.

Rampagingraptor

Sub-Adult Member
No problem, always happy to help.
Many people make the same mistake, and many other common mistakes. Bearded Dragons are supposedly beginner reptiles, but that doesn't mean that they are easy to care for or know at all. The best thing you can do is try to figure out what you can and make sure what you found is right.
O yeah, as a side note, never put your trust in what the pet stores tell you, as they tend to give major misinformation.

dragonmama2047

Original Poster
No kidding about the pet store. :banghead: At their feeding station they list mealworms as good food for beardies, when everything I've read says to stay away from them except as treats for adult dragons. And I still remember when I asked them what size their "large" crickets were--I was trying to find out if they were larger than the half-inch space between Bandit's eyes--and the clerk just looked at me like it was the stupidest question he had ever heard. I didn't say, "Excuse me, I just want to know if my beardie can eat them without getting impacted and dying," but I thought it....

Terry15

Sub-Adult Member
Petco is having the 1$ a gallon sale. Petsmart should be able to match that. If not, go to Petco.

dragonmama2047

Original Poster
We're on our way home from the big shopping trip. A whole new set-up, as close to their current one as possible in the hopes that it minimizes the relocation stress. I'm beginning to be really excited about this. I even bought two of the next size up cave for them to hide in--the current one is getting cramped. I'm sure there will be photos.

dragonmama2047

Original Poster
We've set everything up and we're waiting overnight to make sure my Bandit is moving into a properly heated and lit home. I'm so silly that I kept showing them the new furniture and the new dishes and things and talking about the move like they can actually follow what I was saying. Something about my tone must have been soothing, though, because my beautiful Banzai wanted to cuddle before bed for the first time in a while. It feels like a good sign.

Terry15

Sub-Adult Member
Sounds like you had fun getting all the new things. I'm sure your beardies were excited just listening to you. I love talking to Mystic. I think they like it too. Post some pictures when you get thier new home all set up. Have fun.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
dragonmama2047":157me9rn said:
We've set everything up and we're waiting overnight to make sure my Bandit is moving into a properly heated and lit home. I'm so silly that I kept showing them the new furniture and the new dishes and things and talking about the move like they can actually follow what I was saying. Something about my tone must have been soothing, though, because my beautiful Banzai wanted to cuddle before bed for the first time in a while. It feels like a good sign.

Put the bigger one in the new enclosure, let the smaller one keep the old one. That way it wont be set back further by relocation stress because it has been moved.

dragonmama2047

Original Poster
Well, the enclosure isn't one-hundred percent the way it will ultimately be--for one thing, they will both have a Reptisun 10.0 when the fixture arrives tomorrow. But it's close. You were right, of course, about moving the bigger lizard, and she has always been more adventurous anyway. This morning she glass-surfed until I let her go in the new enclosure, and now she's basking in there like it has always been so.
86822-6158168460.jpg

Bandit, chilling in solitary splendor. He's so relaxed he's doing the arm...
86822-4919937057.jpg

And Banzai, also in solitary splendor, doing the leg:
86822-503919912.jpg

If I didn't worry so much I'd think they were happy or something. :D

dragonmama2047

Original Poster
Oh my goodness--it's only been a day, but everyone is eating well and--best of all--Bandit's chest is almost entirely white again, with just a couple of grey streaks. If what I've read is correct, those streaks were stress marks, and it's a very good sign that they're going away now. We should have bought a second terrarium ages ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tangel256
Top Bottom