Should I get a new vet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, so- Stripes has only been eating at most a few nibbles of Mustard greens, a bite or two of turnip greens, and maybe having a few small pieces of grape or apple (no skin). SO, i've been continuing to feed her through a syringe with this stuff my vet gave me.

A fecal test provided no information- everything was "normal."

I asked about these red-ish pouches that are between the urates and the poop and the vet called for another fecal. Again, no results... but the red still continues. I've touched the stuff, and it feels grainy between my fingers. The only description of it I can provide is that it looks like a pouch sometimes- sometimes it just looks almost like illustrations of magnified muscle tissue you would see in a science book...

My vet says nothing is wrong, but this ... scary thing still happens... Should i worry? should I get a new vet?

RioReptiles

Sub-Adult Member
I get the same stuff with a reddish or pinkish tint in the urates. Sometimes it happens more often than others. I've seen it in the forum here and there and seems to be normal. Something with calcium & hydration I think.

pscaulkins

Extreme Poster
Does the red look like blood? How are the urates? Hard? Soft? I think I would get another vet's opinion. Grainy could be kidney stones or caused by dehydration. You may want to have a bloodwork done to check for kidney function.

JailBirdStripes

Original Poster
pscaulkins":062bb said:
Does the red look like blood? How are the urates? Hard? Soft? I think I would get another vet's opinion. Grainy could be kidney stones or caused by dehydration. You may want to have a bloodwork done to check for kidney function.

Urates is the same as it's been since we brought her home- white, and breaks up like... compacted flour (for lack of a better description). The pouch that follows is grainy and red- and literally a pouch- sometimes more pouched than others (i.e. sometimes the pouch seems broken open, others it seems mostly intact) Her poop, depending on how much and what she's eaten only changes in total size, but is moist, spongy, and doesn't stink terribly. I'll try to get a pic of a poop sometime.

She gets a bath 2-3 times in a week, on top of about 4 tbsp of water a day from a syringe- PLUS a water dish in her viv that she will drink from occasionally.

She's still under a year old, and I haven't found her a hubby yet- could she just be passing eggs? What would/should they look like if she were, in fact passing eggs?

pscaulkins

Extreme Poster
The urates should be soft with no grainy/flourly texture. I have no experience with eggs though. How much calcium are you giving her? I sounds like she is hydrated by the amounts of fluids you are giving her. Sometimes, to much calcium causes the grainy/flourly urates.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunalane827
Top Bottom