Should i get a male or female?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grogshla

Juvie Member
Hey there friends.

I have found a breeder of pogona henrylawsoni and plan to purchase a little male next week. Would you recommend i get a male on his own or should i get 2 females so they can keep eachother company. I don't like the idea of a male and female as i don't want to have to deal with breeding and the stress on eachother that they may cause. Alot of pictures i see though of bearded dragons and the pogona henrylawsoni tend to have a few housed together and they seem happy so i am not sure. This will be my first dragon ( i normally keep geckos) and just want the best for the little guys!
p.s I have a 50gallon tank

thanks alot
:)

Phoenix17June2009

Gray-bearded Member
ok first weather you get 2 males or 2 females or one of each they should never be housed together... you will eventually have a dominace problem.
now as far as male or female... i have both, my first was a male. It was suggested to me that because i was a new owner to start with a male because they dotn lay eggs or anything like that. he is amazing! i adore him with every bit of me!
but my female is a whole differnt world, she is a bit more "affectionate" than my male but she actually bonded more with my husband, and my male bonded with me so its weird lol! if shes on me and sees him she will run to get to him lol :D you cant go wrong either way, i wouldnt trade either of them for anything! honestly i think because me and my male are so close i would choose a male to be my first... :D

Grogshla

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Thanks alot for your advice! :)
I really appreciate it! I would never put 2 males together, i just thought 2 females might keep eachother company but i doubt i will do that as i certainly don't want any dominance problems with them.
I think i will go for a single male then :) I am very excited.
thanks a heap again.
all the best

Phoenix17June2009

Gray-bearded Member
most wouldtn put two males together but i wanted to touch on the subject just incase someone else asked a simular question they could see.... my female is a BABY and will lung and tail whip if she even sees her reflection lol!!! so i could only imagine if i put another in with her lol! :D glad i could help you! keep us informed on everything and should you have questions let us know!!

Sapphire

Sub-Adult Member
I would suggest going with a single male. I don't have experience with females, but my BD is male and he's completely awesome. Now that he's near adulthood, he's really chill (unless it's time for food, then he goes nuts). When he was a baby I was afraid to carry him around with me because he was so small, if he jumped he would either hurt himself or get somewhere and hide before I could get him. Now that he's bigger, I can carry him all around the apartment and he just sits there and looks around.

spyder79

Extreme Poster
Phoenix17June2009":2beyiybx said:
ok first weather you get 2 males or 2 females or one of each they should never be housed together... you will eventually have a dominace problem.

This is correct for Pagona Vitticeps but it is incorrect for pagona henrylawsoni (Lawsons Dragon). They are colony animals and you can house multiples together without issue. Granted you should always house lizards of equal size together. You can safely house a colony of females in a appropriate sized enclosur (3-4 together is the typical norm). If you want them to breed later on you can do a 1.2 or 1.3 group (1 male and 2-3 females) safely. They will become sexually active at around 9 months of age.

Phoenix17June2009

Gray-bearded Member
spyder79":1tx8xfkt said:
Phoenix17June2009":1tx8xfkt said:

This is correct for Pagona Vitticeps but it is incorrect for pagona henrylawsoni (Lawsons Dragon). They are colony animals and you can house multiples together without issue. Granted you should always house lizards of equal size together. You can safely house a colony of females in a appropriate sized enclosur (3-4 together is the typical norm). If you want them to breed later on you can do a 1.2 or 1.3 group (1 male and 2-3 females) safely. They will become sexually active at around 9 months of age.

oops i apologize, good catch brian!! i was reading fast so i sowwy bout the wrong info buddy! lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaiuytinco1
Top Bottom