Should I get a leatherback or normal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mudskipper

Juvie Member
Hello all,

I'm looking to get my first bearded dragon. He will also be only bearded dragon. I know that I want a citrus, but I don't know if I should get a leatherback or a normal. :D

What are the differences? Do leatherbacks require special care? I have leopard geckos and actually have never held a bearded dragon before. Are the spikes on the normal sharp? :shock: LOL

BeardieMommy3991

Sub-Adult Member
Regular dragons aren't "sharp". They look prickly, but I can snuggle with mine no problem- his nails are another issue! Haha. Leatherbacks will show color more, as they have "reduced spines" that wont get in the way of pattern and color.

I don't beleive they need any extra treatment- but I have never owned one. Hopefully someone will chime in. :)

BotanicalStig

Juvie Member
Nah care is the same. It's more of a matter of what you think looks better, or which dragon you just fall in love with. I wasn't planning on getting a leatherback. No particular reason, though. I told the breeders I talked to that I wanted normal scales, but when I saw moose it didn't matter :)

You should really hold one before you get one. leathers definitely have smoother backs... But I mean they aren't actually "leathery" or anything... Still prickly if you go against the grain- kind of similar to their underside, I guess.

I would say look at both types of dragons and see which one you fall in love with, my dragon was a little dull coloured but as soon as I saw him I knew I had to have him because of his personality, and now he has turned a lovely citrus/pastel colour :D

mudskipper

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I followed the advice and went to the local reptile store to hold their one-year old beardie for a few minutes. I definitely should worry more about the nails. LOL.. but I guess those can be trimmed. The reptile store didn't have a leatherback, but I guess a leatherback would just feel like the back of a leopard gecko?

mudskipper

Juvie Member
Original Poster
SpitFyre":1lffxsoi said:
Kinda... did you rub the underside of the dragon? It's kind of like that.

I didn't rub it, but I could feel her soft belly on my skin. I'm going to get a leatherback then :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mysticsalten
Top Bottom