She's driving me crazy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jettum

My dragon went into her tissue box "cave" today and she's scratching at the end of the box every 10 to 30 seconds. (She's been quasi-brumating for over a month but hasn't really gone to sleep there yet so I was very excited at first.
I cut out one end, so she walks into it, and just keeps digging into the other end. I put some ppr towel bedding in there, which she has pushed mostly out the back, but it's covered so there is no light coming through.
The sound is like nails on a chalkboard and she won't stop! I'm going nutso. Is there something else I should put in there? Should I put more bedding over the top of her?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Usually when they start clawing and digging I suggest either building a dig box or cutting up scraps of fleece for them to dig around in. In this case I'd try putting a bunch of fleece scraps into the box and let her dig around in those. Nice and soft, no loops to get nails caught in, and much quieter =)

Jettum

Original Poster
Whelp, the felt strips worked for about a half hour. But now I can hear her scratching against the box again from the opposite side of my house.
Should I take her out of it? Are u thinking she's going to lay eggs? Doesn't their appetite go up when they're about to do that? If that is the case will she lay them in felt or do I need to make the dig box for that?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Egg laying is a possibility I suppose. From what I've read, they eat a lot and then go off food when they are ready to lay eggs. You'll probably want to make a moist sand and organic topsoil mix dig box and start a cave for her if you suspect she's ready to lay eggs. It's a messy option but the one I hear about the most.

Jettum

Original Poster
I added more strips. And about an hour later she came out of the box.
So.. She's abt 14 months old. She's not eating but she's not sleeping either, I don't feel anything in her stomach (I read that you can feel the eggs?). She's not losing weight, she's cool w/ being handled (not grumpy), and she drinks water during her weekly baths. There are no parasites in her fecal matter either.
Problem is, it's been two months since she ate normally. Since she isn't losing weight and looks healthy, I've tried not to be worried, since I know this is part of normal brumation. But when should I start worrying abt her eating habits? How much longer should I let her be before I intercede?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J.sobrero
Top Bottom