Shedding skin. Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan88

Boris is about 10 weeks old and I've noticed he's started shedding his skin, his head is done and it looks amazing, he's really active and running around, eating and pooing.

But I've noticed he scratches a lot and drags his belly across the logs when he's climbing, is this normal? I imagine losing your skin is very itchy :)

nycmedic

It's normal he's trying to get it off of him. o hel the process soak him in a warm bath for about 15 20 mins and spray him thru the day to help it come off.

Dan88

Original Poster
Thank you,

He loves baths, I bath him every day with warm water but after nearly 10 mins he's wanting to get out.

Should I spray him with warm water or room temperature water?

zabeardie

Hatchling Member
I usually spray with room temperature water, but I don't think it really matters. Both of them will help them shed. Just contributing, Jacob

snazzyglasses

Sub-Adult Member
My big guy drags his belly across everything when it's shedding too! Then he kinda gives me the evil eye when I walk over to see what he's doing, like "hey lady, quit staring and help me get this off!!" :lol: He's on his own as far as peeling goes though; peeling off skin before it's ready can damage the sensitive new scales underneath the old ones.
If Boris seems to be having any "trouble spots" despite bathing and misting and keeping him hydrated, you can use a bit of olive oil or cocoa butter or aloe to help soften up the old stuff :)

I personally use warm water when giving my beardie a bath or when misting him because they are so sensitive to cold obviously that I feel even room temperature might be a bit chilly for them. Just a personal preference though, I'm sure if you are just misting him you can use room temperature, but if giving a bath you should use warm water definitely.

Dan88

Original Poster
Thanks for the help, been misting and bathing and he's starting to shed really well now, he's a nice yellow underneath

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tlpowell718
Top Bottom