Shedding Question (Pics)

Status
Not open for further replies.

stormwolfe

Good Morning,

I did a search, but came up empty.

I think Forty is about to shed. This morning, he has a bit of something extruding from one nostril. It appears dry and his other nostril is clear. What I could find doing a search here is that it's likely the start of shedding the skin inside his nose.

Could someone take a look at the pics below and let me know if that's the case or if I need to be rushing him to the vet? He is not wheezing, coughing or making noise as he breathes. He is doing a gulping motion and doing it more often than normal this morning.

If the plug is just shedding skin, should I try to gently pull it out?

Image #1: Clear nostril
zTCSvMh.jpg

Image #2: Blocked nostril
tUgqOq9.jpg

Image #3: Blocked nostril
Jqwl6ae.jpg

Any info at all is appreciated.

Thank you and Best Regards,

Stormwolfe

jducky18

Hatchling Member
It looks like it's just shedding. Give him baths every day to help keep him hydrated and just watch very closely. Don't try to pull off the skin because that can damage the scales underneath and really hurt (think of a peeling sunburn, it really hurts when you pull at the skin) Keep a close eye on that nostril and basically make sure he keeps breathing, I've never seen shedding like that, so maybe someone else can help you too.

daner923

Gray-bearded Member
Hey SW! It's just a nose plug from shed. If it is free and just kinda sitting there, you can very GENTLY help Forty out with it by gently rubbing it to one side. If it's ready, it should just pop out. He's breathing like that because he's trying to essentially "snot rocket" it out of there.

stormwolfe

Original Poster
Thank you both!

That's what I was hoping, Daner. The back of his head has two really white patches that I'm hoping is a prelim to shedding. His back skin is still rather pale and gets wrinkles in it, but doesn't seem to be indicative of dehydration. He's been getting baths every other day, but will up them to daily...which he'll hate.

I'm also hoping the uneven appetite is due to an upcoming shed. He eats a bit but not as much as I feel he should be. On the other hand, he does have a bowel movement at least every other day and it's quite a healthy one!

Re: the nose plug, it seems he dislodged that on his own!

Thanks again for the information!

~ SW

daner923

Gray-bearded Member
Yup, shedding can really mess with their appetites and moods. If you put a washcloth in the bath under him, it might make him feel more comfortable.

stormwolfe

Original Poster
Update...

YAY! It was just shedding. He lost two HUGE patches in and around his head. I gave him a good soaking bath and used an ultra-soft toothbrush to gently brush away some of the left over skin.

Next...looks like his back is getting ready to shed now.

He gulped several Phoenix worms right after I put him back in his habitat.

Oh...PS...changed out his Exo-Terra basking light for a ReptiSun - same wattage - and he seems to be loving it.

Thanks again!

SW

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom