Shedding or something else?

Mr.Dragon

Beardie name(s)
Mr. Dragon
New mom here being paranoid? About a week and a half ago Mr. Dragon did some shedding. The first day he shed his arms and legs, and the second day his back and belly. A few days later just some bits and pieces from his face. But not his tail.
Now a few days ago I noticed his tail was a lot lighter than usual, very ashy colored, but I thought maybe he's just shedding his tail late? But it hasn't shed at all, there's no skin lifting up even a little bit. Then I got worried because about a week ago my significant other told me that Mr. Dragon was about to jump off the bed (about a 3ft drop) so he reached for him but caught him by the tail and pulled him back. What if he pulled too hard and damaged his little baby tail? Does it look okay? What should I do? Some before and after pics attached- (3before/3after)
-Mr. Dragon

Attachments

• 20230611_185416.jpg
    20230611_185416.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 191
  • 20230702_095429.jpg
    20230702_095429.jpg
    195.2 KB · Views: 67
  • 20230702_095422.jpg
    20230702_095422.jpg
    191.6 KB · Views: 65
  • 20230702_095150.jpg
    20230702_095150.jpg
    200.6 KB · Views: 66
  • 20230627_101539.jpg
    20230627_101539.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 66
  • 20230614_203836.jpg
    20230614_203836.jpg
    168.8 KB · Views: 64

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
New mom here being paranoid? About a week and a half ago Mr. Dragon did some shedding. The first day he shed his arms and legs, and the second day his back and belly. A few days later just some bits and pieces from his face. But not his tail.
Now a few days ago I noticed his tail was a lot lighter than usual, very ashy colored, but I thought maybe he's just shedding his tail late? But it hasn't shed at all, there's no skin lifting up even a little bit. Then I got worried because about a week ago my significant other told me that Mr. Dragon was about to jump off the bed (about a 3ft drop) so he reached for him but caught him by the tail and pulled him back. What if he pulled too hard and damaged his little baby tail? Does it look okay? What should I do? Some before and after pics attached- (3before/3after)
-Mr. Dragon
That's shed starting- do nothing let it do it's thing- I am sure he's fine- just watch his behavior- did he get a black beard after you pulled his tail?

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Their tails can take FOREVER to shed, it's normal. Turning dark in the process is normal also. The only thing to watch out for is if it's a particularly hard shed, the tip could become restrictive at the tip and limit blood flow (extremely low probability) but it is good to know it can happen. It's also a simple fix. A soak in a warm bath or a little coconut oil applied to it. It doesn't hurt to be aware and mindful just don't make yourself paranoid in the process 🙂🙂

Mr.Dragon

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Mr. Dragon
Their tails can take FOREVER to shed, it's normal. Turning dark in the process is normal also. The only thing to watch out for is if it's a particularly hard shed, the tip could become restrictive at the tip and limit blood flow (extremely low probability) but it is good to know it can happen. It's also a simple fix. A soak in a warm bath or a little coconut oil applied to it. It doesn't hurt to be aware and mindful just don't make yourself paranoid in the process 🙂🙂
Oh good, that's what I thought and was hoping for but then what my significant other reminded me he pulled his tail and maybe he hurt him is when I got paranoid hah. His body and limbs shed so quick so I didn't know his tail could take so long.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
I've seen some of mine start the next boby shed before their tails shed when they were little.

Mr.Dragon

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Mr. Dragon
UPDATE: Yesterday morning there was no change in the shedding process. His tail was still dark and wasn't lifting at all. Also his head is starting to darken too. So, I took a little bit of mineral oil and gently brushed it on his tail, and sure enough by last night his tail finally started shedding! A little bit ago I helped pull off some of his tail shed and applied a little bit more mineral oil and a just-in-case.
Im wondering if his little baby head has a hard time shedding, can I also put a little coconut oil or mineral oil on his head? Will it affect his third eye if I put it on top of the eye or should I just go around it?
-Mr. Dragon

Attachments

• 20230705_205529.jpg
    20230705_205529.jpg
    186 KB · Views: 66
  • 20230706_084454.jpg
    20230706_084454.jpg
    390.4 KB · Views: 68
  • 20230706_084500.jpg
    20230706_084500.jpg
    215.5 KB · Views: 59
  • 20230706_084558.jpg
    20230706_084558.jpg
    207.3 KB · Views: 61

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
UPDATE: Yesterday morning there was no change in the shedding process. His tail was still dark and wasn't lifting at all. Also his head is starting to darken too. So, I took a little bit of mineral oil and gently brushed it on his tail, and sure enough by last night his tail finally started shedding! A little bit ago I helped pull off some of his tail shed and applied a little bit more mineral oil and a just-in-case.
Im wondering if his little baby head has a hard time shedding, can I also put a little coconut oil or mineral oil on his head? Will it affect his third eye if I put it on top of the eye or should I just go around it?
-Mr. Dragon

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I would let the head shed do its thing- when it becomes crackly and dry you can spray his head and take a soft baby toothbrush and gently brush the loose shed off

Mr.Dragon

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Mr. Dragon
I would let the head shed do its thing- when it becomes crackly and dry you can spray his head and take a soft baby toothbrush and gently brush the loose shed off
But if its not doing its thing how can I help? Like his tail was dark for at least a week before I decided to do something to help. Of course I'm going to try and let his body do its thing first, but if it takes the same course as his tail and refuses to even crack, what can I do?
-Mr. Dragon

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
But if its not doing its thing how can I help? Like his tail was dark for at least a week before I decided to do something to help. Of course I'm going to try and let his body do its thing first, but if it takes the same course as his tail and refuses to even crack, what can I do?
-Mr. Dragon
NOTHING ---- let the shed take its coarse ---- no picking!! You can cause damage to the scales --- just let the shed do its thing -- when its dry and crackly and coming off then you can spray / mist take the soft baby toothbrush and gently brush ---

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
I agree with Karrieree, don't pull at the shed (i know the temptation is unbearable, i have to constantly get on my girlfriend for it lol). The tail and the toes are the only parts that is likely to give them trouble and even that a warm soak or a little coconut oil is about all the help they need.

Mr.Dragon

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Mr. Dragon
Well Ive read in a few different places that the only time it is appropriate to help and pull shed off is when it is a stressful shed and its obviously ready to come off. So you pull with the scales, not against, and only continue when its pulled off easily. So if you pull and it doesnt want to just pull off then stop, dont pull harder. Or if He pulls away then that also means to stop. Which is exactly what I did.
It had been a least a week and his tail wasnt even starting to crack at all.
Of course the first thing I did was to let him naturally shed but once I saw he was obviously struggling is when I decided to interfere a little bit. After I pulled off his tail shed he was a lot happier and more active.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Well Ive read in a few different places that the only time it is appropriate to help and pull shed off is when it is a stressful shed and its obviously ready to come off. So you pull with the scales, not against, and only continue when its pulled off easily. So if you pull and it doesnt want to just pull off then stop, dont pull harder. Or if He pulls away then that also means to stop. Which is exactly what I did.
It had been a least a week and his tail wasnt even starting to crack at all.
Of course the first thing I did was to let him naturally shed but once I saw he was obviously struggling is when I decided to interfere a little bit. After I pulled off his tail shed he was a lot happierles and more active.
Please never pull shed you can damage scales and cause bleeding-

Mr.Dragon

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Mr. Dragon
Please never pull shed you can damage scales and cause bleeding-
...k. Like I said I read In a couple places that its okay to help if theyre having trouble so thats why I did it. Clearly Im a first time owner and didnt know.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
syafiqmust
Top Bottom