Shedding Concern!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarianaL87

Hatchling Member
My dragon has now started to shed larger and larger portions of his skin. He first started with bits of his head, front and back legs and now tummy.

Trouble is, only NOW is he almost turning BLACK from all this. I give him soaks as often as i can and he goes back to normal. But it really worries me is how MISERABLE he looks at times. Covered in stress marks and dark dark dark all over.

Hes a young one, only about 7 inches, I feed his crickets and greens...Normal basking temp on both sides, -- No Uv bulb, still waiting for reptile uv to ship :(

Is this normal? Has anyone experienced their beardies completely miserable looking during these times?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Yes, that is actually pretty normal circumstances. Are those last areas giving him a harder time to come off? Along with bathing you could put some aloe vera gel on those areas to help with the moisture.
What is your humidity in the tank? It should be around 40% or so to help with sheds.

Tracie

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
Beardies always look miserable when shedding. But the darkness your seeing is probably due to no UVB.
How long has your beardie been without UVB and how long before your UVB will be delivered?
If there is sun in your part of the world I highly suggest getting your beardie out in it for a few hours a day if posssible. It is very important to their health and well-being.

MarianaL87

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
fresnowitte":ed77f said:
Beardies always look miserable when shedding. But the darkness your seeing is probably due to no UVB.
How long has your beardie been without UVB and how long before your UVB will be delivered?
If there is sun in your part of the world I highly suggest getting your beardie out in it for a few hours a day if posssible. It is very important to their health and well-being.

I agree that the extent of the darkness is also the handy work of the lack of uv, no doubt. But its out of my hands, the bulb i have was doing more harm than good. With it on, he wouldnt eat - with it off he manages to regain more of an apetite.
It has been at least a good 2 weeks w/o anything but the heat bulb. The company emailed me saying my order was on back order and they would ship me one as soon as possible...If i dont hear or recieve anything this upcoming week i am going to get very upset. Ive just been dusting his crickets with as much vitamin and calcium supplements as i can to try and keep things at bay until the mega ray comes in. Its been a long wait for me - and an eternity for my beardie im sure.

MarianaL87

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Oh and as for the direct sun outside - not a chance. I live i toronto canada and winter has come early. Temps outside are less than 10 degrees and cloudy, i think having him outside would probably do more harm than good at this point.

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
I'm so sorry for the luck you are having with UVB. :(
This must really suck for you not being able to do anything about the present situation. :(
I truely feel for you and hope that your order gets to you soon.

You an your baby will be in my thoughts and prayers. :wink:

renich

Juvie Member
i don't have much to add. but i am curiuos...what was your old uvb and what did you order?

MarianaL87

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
fresnowitte":e1332 said:
I'm so sorry for the luck you are having with UVB. :(
This must really suck for you not being able to do anything about the present situation. :(
I truely feel for you and hope that your order gets to you soon.

You an your baby will be in my thoughts and prayers. :wink:

Thank you! Lets just hope reptileuv feels as sorry for me and my beardie as you do! lol

MarianaL87

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
renich":59ca5 said:
i don't have much to add. but i am curiuos...what was your old uvb and what did you order?

My old one was a zilla bulb. I just ordered a mega ray bulb.

MarianaL87

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
MarianaL87":89ef0 said:
renich":89ef0 said:

My old one was a zilla bulb. I just ordered a mega ray bulb.

Hopefully your order isnt on backorder like mines was. It just got shipped TODAY. I ordered more than two weeks ago - I can only imagine how long it will take to get to my home now. I have to say im not particularly impressed with their customer service. Ive always had to be the one to inquire about the status of shipment and status of THEIR stock, when i feel they should be the one reaching out to me for explanations on their tardiness.

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
Thank God it is atleast on its way. (Wheeew!)
Hopefully it will only take a couple of days to get there. (finger's crossed for you) :)

MarianaL87

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
fresnowitte":3c02c said:
Thank God it is atleast on its way. (Wheeew!)
Hopefully it will only take a couple of days to get there. (finger's crossed for you) :)

Dont i wish! lol Im in toronto, canada...and its coming all the way from North Carolina! Brian (my beardie son) and I are bracing for another week and a half lol

MarianaL87

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
fresnowitte":0a47f said:
Yikes!
That really sucks! :banghead:

Ya, especially for my Brian.
Lately its been really sunny and warm outside, so ive been compensating with natures best uv source - our sun :D

Even if just for about an hr...Its the best i can manage for now.

renich

Juvie Member
that's awesome that you have the weather to rely on. i know the whole situaion sucks, but there isn't a light bulb that can replace the sun's natural source of uvb.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tangel256
Top Bottom