She never comes out of hiding!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbauer65

I have had my adult Beardies for about 5 days now and the Male is out and about, eating, pooping, doing what's expected of him.
The Female however won't come out of hiding. When I remove her hiding cave, she eats, poops, and everything else. Seems healthy but when I put her hiding cave back in the enclosure, she goes in and then never comes back out?

Any ideas. She's about 2 1/2 years old, around 16" long and I've checked to make sure she's not egg-bound and don't feel any "Marbles" in her abdomin. So am I just be impatient???

Thanks for anyone's insight.

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
Hi. Can you give a rundown of the set up? Temps? How you take them? Lights? Brands? Size of the enclosure? Are they housed together?

jbauer65

Original Poster
Hi Destiny,
Since I bought these two with thier enclosures I've pertty much set them up as they were with the exception of buying new Basking & UVB Bulbs. I've removed most of the climbing assessories since she never comes out anyway unless I remove her hiding 'rock'. She'll eat if I leave the hiding 'rock' out but as soon as I put it back in, she goes back into seclusion.
Here's the setup with a link to a photo. Both enclosures are almost identical and the male has no issues:

49 1/2" x 24" x 24" Enclosure
12" from new 50W Basking Bulb
107-110 @ Basking Perch
75-85 non-basking areas
New 24" Reptisun 10 UVB bulb

http://s196.photobucket.com/user/jbauer49/media/Beardies/BasicSetUp.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

Thanks,

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
Nice set up. The only thing I can think of is raising the basking spot so she is closer to the lights. 6 to 8 inches is the recommended distance. Are you taking the temps on the basking surface? That temp is more important then air temp.

jbauer65

Original Poster
I'll see about raising the basking spot, thanks!
I use a non-contact temp gun, so I take readings on several surfaces especially the Basking Spot.
Thanks again for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tangel256
Top Bottom