She hasn't eaten in 5 days!! Is this normal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sherri81

My beardies mated 3 1/2 weeks ago and she is showing signs of wanting to lay. She was digging in her tank and acted like she wanted out really bad so I put her in a lay box. She has been there for 3 days now and has been working on a hole the entire time. I know she is supposed to lose her appetite but she hasn't eaten in 5 days. Is this normal? Also she has gotten fatter but she's not lumpy feeling. Is it possible that I won't be able to feel the eggs? This is a first breeding for myself and both dragons so I will take any advise I can get. Thanks.

midnight_962002

Sub-Adult Member
Sherri,

it is possible that you won't be able to feel the eggs, especially on the larger girls. They do typically go off of food when they lay. Much longer and I would be thinking about a vet appointment because it may mean that the eggs are stuck. Don't panic yet. Make sure that they bin isn't is dark below the soil. Meaning that if you have her in a clear plastic bin you wrap the outside so the light isn't showing in the hole she dug.

Ernie

Sherri81

Original Poster
Thanks. The bin I have her in is dark grey with about 8 inches of soil. I have a lid over one end and her heat lamp on the other. She will only dig in the corner under her heat. She digs to the bottom then fills part of it back up and starts again...

midnight_962002

Sub-Adult Member
Sherri,

It sounds like she isn't happy with the lay box. She won't lay until she finds it suitable. I make my lay boxes so the soil is on a 45 degree angle from one end to the other. Then I set the heat up on the high end. When the girls start digging they usually pick the middle of the grade and dig down into a corner. My girls have cleaned out the entire bottom half and laid. It makes for a pain to undig the eggs but, I usually try grabbing the girl before she finishes packing down the soil.

PS. I have used just dirt and water to make mud. This year I am going to experiment with mostly sand or something because my girls come out filthy and muddy and they stay that way until they shed.

Ernie

Sherri81

Original Poster
I know what you mean...I am using soil and she is still dirty after bathing her (which I am doing daily to keep her hydrated). I will try putting the bin on an angle and see how she does. Thanks for the advice.

Sherri81

Original Poster
Thanks for the tip about putting the bin on an angle. It worked. She laid 19 eggs today and all of them look good.

midnight_962002

Sub-Adult Member
I am glad that worked for you. No just make sure to give her a couple of warm baths and extra food/calcium. Some animals can be picky and some don't really care. It sounds like yours was a little picky. At least the eggs are out.

Ernie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meljorogers
Top Bottom