Severe Issue w/Major Beardie Leg Injury

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kristubs

Original Poster
Hey guys. It's been a week since I've taken Brock to the vet. I took him back for a follow up today and the vet had said that she think the yellow was worsening. I have some new photos which won't do that statement any justice because they removed the yellow to send in for samples to test for yellow fungus. Upon trying to take samples the necrotic (dead) part of his leg had fallen off. (GOOD!) However new complications have risen. A good 80% of his tail is now black :? I really hope that we don't have to remove his tail and I just can't understand how poorly he was cared for prior to me purchasing him. I don't want to publicly bash anyone but I will say that I personally will not be purchasing anything from http://www.backwaterreptiles.com/ again. He has now been prescribed a topical ointment called Silver Sulfadiazine Cream 1% (to be applied twice a day).

I'll attach some images of his leg (after having the yellow removed to be sent for samples) and his blackened tail:

AB7bYpR.jpg

GY5FIGE.jpg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi Kris...the leg looks much better ! Good for you and your baby. :) The tail just looks like it's going in to a shed and is turning dark. Too bad you didn't look up reviews for that company before hand, they do not have a good rep !

Kristubs

Original Poster
The purchase of this little guy was a complete impulse so I didn't do much research on the company. I'm really hoping that it is just a tail shedding....with the possibility of having to remove the leg, I don't want anymore surprise amputations springing itself onto my lap. I think I forgot to mention that I've learned how to orally administer his medicine (although he squirms around a lot), at least I can get his medicine in his system daily.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Wow, his leg is looking so much better! :D
I agree, his tail looks like it is going to shed, but not tail necrosis. So, don't worry, he wont have to get a tail amputation. He sure is a cutie pie, too.
Is he eating well also?

Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Any updates for us? I hope he is still improving by leaps & bounds for you. :D

Tracie

Kristubs

Original Poster
Hey Everyone! So I do have a few updates...we got the results back for the yellow fungus test and it was negative...No yellow fungus! Although the yellow discoloration has spread further onto his belly the vet said she's not worried about that. She was worried about his bone in his stumpy leg. She was worried that there may be an infection in the bone itself and that it could spread to other bones. Upon looking at the xrays it appears that the only effected area is his leg. So there isn't any spreading of any type of bone disease. I've been prescribed "Clindamycin Aquadrops" to help with his bone. We are going to schedule a recheck in 4 weeks and I am hoping for the best!

On another note, his tail does look better as well, not as black (although no shedding has occurred).

Thank you all for your continued support through this time! :)

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is great news he is improving so much now & that it isn't yellow fungus either! :D
Is he eating a lot now for you & growing?
Are you still using an antifungal cream on the affected areas to help just so it wont spread further.
The bone hopefully hasn't been affected further than what it was initially. The Clindamycin drops should be helpful for him.
Be sure to give probiotics also to help while he is on medication.
You are doing great, keep us posted on him!

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thuexedulichthailan
Top Bottom