Self Sufficient for Feeders

Status
Not open for further replies.

AllanonsWrath

Sub-Adult Member
So, I know alot of people out there would like to save some money on feeders. I know I do! My buddy and I are starting a new project. I have a cricket colony started right now. My buddy has a good start on a cricket and dubia colony as well. We are both going to start a project using the biopod to breed black soldier fly larvae soon. (phoenix worms) I will be posting results as well as some pictures to this thread as soon as I get started making the enclosure/composter. I am also looking into the Turk roaches to round it out. As far as greens, we will be planting out own in the spring. I am trying to get a small greenhouse going, so the organic fertilizer from the compost will be great. I will post some updates later this week when I have my materials ready to make the composter itself.

Valerie

Sub-Adult Member
I would love to hear things turn out for you.
I tried the cricket thing. I did well until the crix were born and needed more moisture. I would lightly spray with water but by doing so I would drown them.

keep us posted
Valerie

jewl495

Juvie Member
I would love yo hear how this ones as well. Do you think this is a spring summer type thing or year round?

AllanonsWrath

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Once I get a good colony going of the worms I *should* be able to do it year round by seperating them into breeding and feeding tanks. The crickets will breed year round if their heat requirements are met. And we all know roaches breed like... well roaches. So, we're really anticipating year round breeding of the bugs. I'm trying to research the greens and see if I might be able to grow year round in a greenhouse environment. I don't really know much about growing veggies out of season, so I don't know if its possible or not.

jewl495

Juvie Member
Does is snow where you are? If it snows then yes you have to grow in a green house but if not then you should be able to grow year round outside. I guess it depends how cold it gets there but greens can endure quite a bit of cold weather. The best time for planting winter greens is Aug.

jewl495

Juvie Member
It's about the same here in CA where I live and we grow greens all year here. Temps range anywhere in the 40-60's here. Winter seems to be the best time to grow greens because they aren't bothered by pest.

I found this list a while back and I think I'm going to try and grow these weeds this summer for my dragon and some for myself :wink:

I have compiled a list of weeds, wild plants and garden plants that Bearded dragons can safely eat. It has taken some time to cross reference them with those found in Australia, and weeds that are poisonous and those that can be found easily in any area. If anyone is interested in trying their dragon on this diet and needs a picture to identify any weeds I will do my best to help. Also if there is any weed you are not sure of, take a photo and I will try and tell you if it is the correct plant.

Cleavers. Known as Sticky weed
Mallow, leaves and flowers
Knapweed
Blackberry
Dogrose
Bindweed
Honey suckle flower
Ox eye Daisy
Sow thistle
Dahlia
Pineapple weed
Chickweed
Gazinea
Verbena (garden only, not shrub type)
Saxifrage
White clover
Red clover
Alslike clover
Crimson Clover
Chicory
Hedge mustard
Garlic mustard
Evening primrose (not primula)
Plantain, ribwort and slender
Lemon Myrtle
Nasturtium
Nettle
Smooth sow thistle
There are many more edible plants but these are the ones that are found in Australia. I have not tried all of them on Cosmo but I have tried many of them. I also feed these to my tortoise and so do many other people. If you would like to try growing your own weeds you can buy organic seeds on ebay. If you grow them in a mix of topsoil and limestone flour they will be calcium enriched. It is recommended that all weeds fed to any animal should be grown in compost free soil and if collected wild they should not be from an area that could have been sprayed for weeds or pests. The best part of growing or feeding weeds is it is more natural and cheaper too. There are less oxalate's in the weeds. Oxalate's are found in greens, rocket etc and this binds to calcium and inhibits the body from using it.
If you want to try a more natural diet for your beardie I would suggest you try one weed at a time until he gets used to it. A good one to start with would be smooth sow thistle, Cosmo loves it and so do most tortoises.

jewl495

Juvie Member
Oh the reptiworms lol. I'm just curious how this all works! I don't think I would breed them because my bearded dragon doesn't like them much. He will eat 30 at the most a week.

AllanonsWrath

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Im reading alot on here http://blacksoldierflyblog.com/

I think I am going to take the design and modify it for keeping the flies inside as well. Then will keep some larvae from each harvest and move them into another bin and let them grow into flies and live out their life and breed in the other bin. Then just do the same thing in reverse. It's going to be some trial and error I am sure. But, I will figure something out here :p I live in Alabama, so it won't be hard to attract new ones anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J.sobrero
Top Bottom