Seizures! Need quick advice please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

chancellor91

Juvie Member
hi, yes that should do fine, and you are going to have to feed him the squash through a dropper, he wont eat it out of dish, and i dont no i think i read that you were misting your tank earlier? dont do that, because it can cause uper respratory infections or w.e its called, so pedilite or water, with some squash should be good till he gets better, and no beardies dont normally have side effects from the seizures, mine is fine and she had a couple of them, and ONE was in her bath and she rolled up-side down so thats what i have to say

hope your lil guy is doing better

chancellor

RobbinRN

Original Poster
Thanks Chancellor for all your support and advice. Not to worry...I don't mist his tank. I put a few "dew drops" onto his vegies and I occasional squirt some drops onto his snout so he can lick it off.

Robbin

tyryce

Hatchling Member
Hello Robbin.

I thought I would post this pic of the set up I made when my little one was having seizures. I was using a Reptisun 10 tube bulb and this way he could get his UVB but also did not have anything to fall off of which he did frequently with his previous set up. We just built a platform and covered it with a couple sheets of cardboard then put the shelf liner over top of the cardboard. It is pretty plain I know but at that time we weren't concerned about anything fancy...just wanted to get him well. He will really need his UVB right now so that he can absorb his calcium properly. Hope this helps. Yes if you are having trouble feeding him (He probably has trouble getting at his feeders?) try the butternut squash babyfood with a syringe so that at least he is getting something. Keep working with him and he'll pull through.

Also...at first when mine was having seizures I had thought it was because I had fed him mealworms also (found out later not to do this). At this time he was pretty young...like only 1 month old. I was lucky that he did not get an impaction from it. His seizures ended up being from the calcium deficiency. Maybe he hasn't pooped because he is not eating well right now? Just keep an eye on the poop situation...if he looks bloated (mine does when he hasn't pooped for a while) you might have to try and get him to poop with a bath and a gentle belly massage. If his calcium levels are low he maybe having trouble pooping. Please keep us posted.

Danielle

100_0758.jpg

RobbinRN

Original Poster
Danielle, that looks so cool! I just returned from the pet store and have gotten a few things with which to modify his tank and help him get closer to his light in all areas. I was thinking that even though I dust his feeders (and gut load them) that it was more than likely a light proximity problem because his highest area is directly under his basking light and only the very corner of his UV light fits there as well. The majority of his UV spans the rest of the tank with nothing really to climb on to get closer to it. I'm hoping my modifications will help him get the most benefit from the light.

And BTW...for those of you who get as excited about this as I do...he pooped again ~ second time in one day ~ yay! The last of his skin is just about off too. I'm hoping he'll take a few little crickets this afternoon. I'm putting the rest of the mealworms (my vet called them french fries) out for the birds!

Robbin

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

It sounds like things are going pretty well now. Good you have been able to modify the lighting to where he can get closer to the UVB light that should help alot.
Great that he is going to the bathroom more often now too. Let us know how everything is going for him. Thanks for the updates.

Tracie

RobbinRN

Original Poster
Dawn,

He's doing awesome! I think he really likes the new setup with more choices on which level to climb to. He never did eat any crickets yesterday, but ate a lot of his vegetables. I think he got a good night's sleep (the night before the light had been left on all night per the vet's instructions) and he ate a few crickets this morning. He's got fresh vegies for the day in there and some water (wish he would learn to drink it from the dish). I was planning on some more real sunlight time but it's stormy here today.

I think Little Man is going to be fine, with no lasting adverse effects, and I am so thankful for all the advice and positive encouragement I got from everyone here. I'll try to post pics sometime soon!

Robbin

chancellor91

Juvie Member
im very glad to have helped your bd and you through this, i told you he would be fine, just gotta keep positive
give him about a week, mine only took 4 days, but to go back to normal munching and everything, he also
will be very tierd from seizures so dont be surprised if he sleeping a lot

best of wishes

chancellor

gulfbrzdawn

BD.org Addict
I am so happy that your beardie is doing better....you tell him he had us all worried there for a while :wink:

As Chancellor said, it will probably take him a little while to get back to eating and behaving as normal. His poor little body went through an awful lot of stress and he's gonna need some down time.

How are you doing? I'm sure this has been extremely stressful on you on as well.

Take care of your little man and do post pics when you get a chance. We want to see the little booger :lol:

Dawn

RobbinRN

Original Poster
Dawn ~

Let's see...how am I doing? Well...I have eaten a LOT of chocolate in the last three days!

Robbin

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Great he is doing much better now! :blob8:
Let us know if you need anything, you know where to find us!

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jamiegates
Top Bottom