Seizures! Need quick advice please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RobbinRN

I've read a lot about seizures on this forum and it seems most of the time they end up okay with a few husbandry changes; however, when I checked on Little Man this morning I felt frantic and unprepared for how I found him. He was awake and breathing, but not on his basking rock and not moving. He seemed very dark in color and was lying in a very flat, splayed position. When I picked him up he threw his head back and was twitching. I held him calmly until he began to move around again and then I placed him in his tank under his lights. He had another episode and ended up on his back.

I immediately called the vet for an appointment and we are going at 1:45. In the meantime, can someone please give me some ideas to keep him comfortable and safe? Is he going to get through this? Does it just have to work itself out? Should I just leave him alone or should I offer a soak?

Here's the recent history to help y'all get a clearer picture of his situation. He was born in January. I have had him three weeks. He has been eating his vegies and his tiny crickets. He is in a 10g with screen top. I use a Reptisun 10.0 and his basking bulb is 50 watts. The basking spot is about 105 (I use a temp gun) and he regulates normally by moving around the edges of the rock or completely off to cool himself. He takes water readily when I spray it either on his head, on his rock around him and on his vegies. He poops every day. His lights are on a timer that comes on at 9:00 am and off at 10:00 pm. He gets his meals dusted with Repicalcium and Herptivite for about 75% of his meals per week.

I tried mealworms on him a few days ago and he took a couple of those. I tried to pick out the tiniest ones. I got home late from work last night, so my husband had fed him earlier and stated he only ate about 4 crickets, so I decided to offer him some mealworms. He took them from me one by one and ended up eating about 6 or 7! A couple of them may have been just slightly wider than his forehead but they were skinner and he chewed them up really good. Since it was so late, his lights went off shortly after that feeding and he went right to sleep. Is is possible, in addition to the amount of food, that he didn't have enough "warm/light" time to digest his meal properly? I feel responsible and I am hoping I can nurse him back to normal.

Thank goodness I'm off work today and can just sit here and watch him when he flips onto his back. He's having another seizure now. I hope someone's on the boards this morning and has something reassuring to say.

Thanks in advance...Robbin

RobbinRN

Original Poster
I just got out my Bearded Dragon book and reread some of the sections. There it was in black and white to NEVER feed mealworms to dragons less than 5 months old! How could I have forgotten or overlooked that sentence? Now I feel just horrible :cry:

Is this a death sentence or can he pull through? What can I do?

Robbin

GoFast

Gray-bearded Member
it's possible for him to pull out of it. you jsut need to get his digestive system going again. make him poop! olive oil or unsweetened applesause are the normal methods followed by a nice warm bath with a massage under the right armpit working your towards the vent

gulfbrzdawn

BD.org Addict
Hello,

I saw your post and honestly I don't know anything about seizures. I did a search because I know you are frantic right now. The quickest thing I could come up with was someone who had a beardie with a seizure. I have pm'd them . Hopefully they can help you through this.

I'm so sorry....Good luck

Dawn

chancellor91

Juvie Member
yes high im at school right now, and your beardie will be fine, you need to get him to a VET ASAP he might be dehydated and they have give him a salen shot, and other things, NEVER deed meal worms they are just bAD, also i would try to get some pedi-lite down her in the mean time, she probably got to close to her lighting source and is way to dehydrated, THE VET you must go to the VET it is imparative to her health, it isnt a death sentance if you can get her there, and it is always a good idea to get a check up, i will be right back i have to go check in in my other class and i will come back to try and answer your questions im so sorry

please update me i will be right back

best of luck

chancellor

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I just wanted to check to make sure you have a Reptisun 10 flourescent tube & not a compact or coil light? How far away is the UVB light & how fine is the screen that it sits on top of?
If you feel it is impaction, the above advise is good. You will need to follow that daily. In addition to the olive oil & unsweetened applesauce, you can also use pumpkin along with that & squash babyfood too. Do not feed any sold foods until he has passed several normal stools to ensure that the impaction has passed through thoroughly.
Increase the oral fluids as well, to help him out as well as bathing him daily will give him some exercise too.

Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

chancellor91

Juvie Member
make sure you watching him in the bath, because mine had her seizures in the bath, and it can be very dangrous if your not pay 100% attention, never leave her un attented, but it seems almost like impaction, like tracie and i were saying, and the normal questions like temp, lighting, substrate, feeder? all those should be answered helps us a alot

hope she okay

chancellor

RobbinRN

Original Poster
Thank you all so much for the advice and reassurance so far. I feel better already, but he sure is a sad little fellow and it's breaking my heart. I will do all I can to help him.

Chancellor...my vet appointment is in two hours. That's the first thing I did this morning was call for an appointment. I hope the trip to the vet doesn't cause too much additional stress. Oh...and I definitely will be at close attention during the bath. The threat of drowning crossed my mind.

Tracie...the light is fluorescent tube. I took the compact/coil I originally bought back after only three days. The fixture is on a screen top, which I read does filter out some UV, but I also read that the light I have is the best one to overcome that. It is 11.5 inches from the tank floor and about 7 inches from his highest basket spot.

Taking all things into consideration and his daily habits and normal behavior until this morning, I am definitely leaning towards the mealworms as the cause. I feel terrible about this mistake.

Robbin

gulfbrzdawn

BD.org Addict
Hi Robbin,

Don't beat yourself up about the mealworms. We all have made mistakes with our beardies at one time or another.

Please follow the advice that Tracie and Chancellor have given you. I wish you the best of luck with your little guy.

Please keep us posted as to how he is doing when you return from the vet.

Dawn :D

RobbinRN

Original Poster
Glass 10g tank with screen lid.
Paper towel substrate and assorted areas for basking and cooling placed at various heights.
Reptisun 10.0 fluorescent tube for UV and 50 watt basking bulb. Timer set from 0900 to 2200 (13 hours).
Temps measured with temp gun - 105 at center of basking area, 95-100 on edges, 80s on cooler side. He has been thermoregulating normally.
Tiniest crickets and vegetable mixture usual meals with Repticalcium and Herptivite powders. (Mealworms late last night).
Water on vegies, basking rock and tip of snout several times daily. Bath weekly.
Poop daily.

Have olive oil on hand. Will offer on tip of finger and bathe in SHALLOW warm water. Vet at 1:45. Haven't witnessed any seizures in almost half an hour.

If y'all need any further information, I'm checking thread every few minutes until I leave for vet about 1:25.

Thanks...Robbin

TazzysMamma

Sub-Adult Member
Im praying for your little guy!!!! Let us know how he's doing!!!

HUGS! and BTW you're not alone with mealworm mistakes.... Ive made them too.... I wont even go NEAR a mealworm where my beardies are concerned now!!!

Sandi

Freeie

Extreme Poster
Hello Robbin.

This is excatly how I found this site. We didnt know they were bad for beardies either. Chimaira ate 12 mealworms in 1 day and he became impacted he did just what you are describing your little one is doing. He did get better it took a few days of bathing and unsweetened applesause to help him poo them all out.

I wish you the best for you and your little one. I know your in good hands with the advise everyone has givin you.

*hugs*

chancellor91

Juvie Member
yes okay well i can check back with you in about another 2 or 3 hours im at lunch now, defiantly tell the vet he is dehydated, even if he not so he will get a salience injection, never hurts but could fix your problem imediatly, please let us kno how your little guy is doing im so sorry, does he drink a lot?

RobbinRN

Original Poster
I'm back from the vet, but they are keeping Little Man until they close. They wanted to keep him overnight, but I really would rather bring him home since I will be able to watch him and no one will be at the clinic.

He continued to twitch whenever he was touched, so she was unable to do a thorough physical on him. However, she immediately diagnosed him with probable calcium deficiency and gave him a fluid injection and a calcium injection. She also gave him some vitamin D and placed him in a quiet warm area for close observation. She said this is fairly common in the tiny ones and sometimes they pull through, but it could go either way.

I questioned the mealworm feeding from last night and she didn't seem to think that was the main reason. Now I'm really confused because I discovered (after the fact) that mealworms were a definite no-no and that his behavior was similar to what others had experienced with mealworms and possible impaction. Since I'm a nurse, I realize that medicine is by no means an exact science, but when it's your own family (human or animal) we always want definite answers and an easy fix.

At any rate, I am really hoping he does okay and I will keep everyone posted. Thank you for all the concern and advice.

Robbin

chancellor91

Juvie Member
ok your poor littl guy should pull through, mine did, and also do you kno if they have him a saline shot, if not ask them to give him one, and tell them you will pay for it, you really need to get him one of those, and yes watch him over night closly, and make sure nothing funny happens, not much you can do till tomarrow once you get back from vet, i hope the best

also ask them for a calcium gluconate syrup to take home and give to your little guy

sorry and best of wishes, keep us posted

chancellor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaineyPoo
Top Bottom