scared girl

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeus185

i went to the pet store today and they had someone bring them a 1 yr old girl. i asked to hold her and when he tried to grab her she freeked out a little. he gave her to me and she was very skitish if i moved to touch her she would try to run away from my hand.im assuming she just wasnt handled much growing up.i feel so bad for her and my question is if she is handled alot will she come around or do you think she will always be afraid to be touched. i know with other animals that weren't taken care of they are sometimes a lost cause.plz let me know what you all think. im going to pet store again friday and plan on trying to hold her again she is such a little cutie.

msmisty

Poor lilltle girl, Yeah if you hold her every day for short periods of time she will start to come around, Good luck

peera

Sub-Adult Member
It really depends. I rescued a girl at 9 months (who had been BADLY neglected, she was hardly bigger than hatchling size), and she's over 2 now, and has never gotten used to handling, although if I take her out when she's been asleep for a while, she'll put up with me for about half an hour. Other people have much better results though, I know several people who have managed to "tame" adults.

Sarah26

peera":2nj82tti said:
It really depends. I rescued a girl at 9 months (who had been BADLY neglected, she was hardly bigger than hatchling size), and she's over 2 now, and has never gotten used to handling, although if I take her out when she's been asleep for a while, she'll put up with me for about half an hour. Other people have much better results though, I know several people who have managed to "tame" adults.

Put up with you? You mean she would open her mouth at you?

Jiffy

BD.org Addict
I just adopted a 2 year old (on Saturday) who was either not handled, or handled roughly. He tries to bite me, and I am working on him. I have only had him less than a week, but I do think he is getting used to me trying to handle him. He let me touch his face today, and didnt try to bite me.
I think it is always worth a try. I think with patience, most (not all, there will always be some exceptions) will come around to at least tolerate, or not try to bite their handler.

peera

Sub-Adult Member
Priss seldom threatens me by opening her mouth (although she did do this every time I picked her up for several months after we first got her, no matter how long I gave her to get used to my hand before trying, and did actually bite me 2 or 3 times), she just makes it clear she has had her fill of me by struggling to run away. I always wait until she's calmed down for a minute before putting her back in her tank though, otherwise she assumes she's "won" and the whole thing just balls up all over again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaiuytinco1
Top Bottom