Scared Baby Dragon

Status
Not open for further replies.

zasdarq

I've only had my baby dragon a couple days, but I'm concerned about how poorly she's settling into the environment. Specifically, she is absolutely terrified of me (or anyone else). I'm happy to be patient while she comes around and realizes I'm not a threat, but her cage is in my home office and I need to work. If I'm in the room, she hides away, not coming out to bask or eat. I have a camera set up to watch her when I leave the room, so I know she’s otherwise happy to explore, bask, and eat food left out for her.

I'd really appreciate suggestions for getting her used to my presence? My only idea at this point is to cover up her line of sight with a blanket so she's more comfortable being out even if I'm around. But I'm also concerned I'll be putting off getting her acclimated, instead of working towards a solution.

Few notes on her setup in case it's relevant: She’s got recommended temperatures (100 – 110 for basking, 90’s elsewhere in the cage, low 80’s on the cool end), maintained by a thermostat. She has an Arcadia 14% UVB bulb placed in an appropriate position, using an Solarmeter 6.5 to check UVI levels. And the basking branches / bark are placed for lots of options for where to bask for different temperatures and UV levels, which she takes advantage of when left alone.

Thanks for the help!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
The 14% bulb is in what size tank? You dont want her any closer than 17" to the bulb - it is a good strong bulb recommended for 24" tanks -- basking decor needs to be directly underneath
She will acclimate to the surroundings as she settles in - I would start working w/ her hand taming by hand feeding / putting your hands in the tank as much as possible - she will get used to you working the room -- you can put a piece of clothing or fleece blanket in her hide so she gets used to your smell - hand feed her BSFL a few every morning before service her brkfst --- you can also use greens but worms usually works the best --- it may take a while but she will get used to her surroundings patience is key here ---
Karrie

zasdarq

Original Poster
Thanks for the suggestions! Hand feeding is not really an option, as she won't even eat from a dish unless I'm completely out of the room. But as I make progress with her I did intend to try that.

As for the 14% bulb + distance, I was actually just writing up another post dedicated to that question: viewtopic.php?f=34&t=256837&p=1949709#p1949709 Any thoughts there would be appreciated as well.

Hallo! She sounds like a sweetheart besides the little issue, She may just need to settle in, a big move to a new environment is really stressful for little babies like her, My baby Rex took about 3 weeks to become comfortable with his cage and it took longer for him to understand that I wouldn't hurt the little guy, I suggest staying near her tank, try not to hold her just yet as she is just getting to know you, let her know that even if you come over to her tank it doesn't mean your going to pick her up, one thing that worked great for me was just keeping my hand in Rex's tank but not doing anything, or using a fabric that smells like you is also great!

If her tank is in your office, reading and working near her always helps so that she can be comfortable with you, don't change her surroundings and just give her some time, Rex is still scared of everything but he adjusted pretty fast and I'm sure she'll get comfortable with you :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mikeb
Top Bottom