Scales on head come off during shed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

OOPSY

Just before her head started to shed i noticed a red spot on her head but decided to wait till she went through her process. After about a week or so of this one spot not wanting to come off on it’s own, i soaked her in her bath today and decided to see if it would budge at all. I could tell immediately something wasn’t right but this whole piece came off with the scales and the other side looks the same so i’m afraid to touch it any further.

Attachments

• E74BEF75-E351-4740-846E-D9A6B5761034.jpeg
    E74BEF75-E351-4740-846E-D9A6B5761034.jpeg
    72.2 KB · Views: 139
  • D601B310-AB60-4C54-986B-10C87472FC15.jpeg
    D601B310-AB60-4C54-986B-10C87472FC15.jpeg
    157.3 KB · Views: 101

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Just before her head started to shed i noticed a red spot on her head but decided to wait till she went through her process. After about a week or so of this one spot not wanting to come off on it’s own, i soaked her in her bath today and decided to see if it would budge at all. I could tell immediately something wasn’t right but this whole piece came off with the scales and the other side looks the same so i’m afraid to touch it any further.
Ok so the basking bulb is where in the tank nothing closer than 6" I recommend nothing closer than 8" -- please get some raw unpasteurized honey on it right away - its going to promote healing - please do not leave any crickets in the tank -- they will go straight for the head I want someone else to take a look at the wound -- also what kind of UVB are you using please tube or a coil?
@AHBD
@Drache613

OOPSY

Original Poster
Ok so the basking bulb is where in the tank nothing closer than 6" I recommend nothing closer than 8" -- please get some raw unpasteurized honey on it right away - its going to promote healing - please do not leave any crickets in the tank -- they will go straight for the head I want someone else to take a look at the wound -- also what kind of UVB are you using please tube or a coil?
@AHBD
@Drache613
Ok so she’s easily 8” away i had to run out quick so i cant measure for sure. But the tank is 18” tall and there’s nothing on the bottom of the tank that lets her get any higher than 2” off the ground under the heat lamp anyway. I’ve had her in the same set up for 2 years with no issue so maybe the bulb is to strong now? Also i use 10.0 reptisun tube.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok so she’s easily 8” away i had to run out quick so i cant measure for sure. But the tank is 18” tall and there’s nothing on the bottom of the tank that lets her get any higher than 2” off the ground under the heat lamp anyway. I’ve had her in the same set up for 2 years with no issue so maybe the bulb is to strong now? Also i use 10.0 reptisun tube.
Is it the T 8 or the T 5? Where in the tank is it? What is the basking temps? How are you getting them? NO stick ons please -- you want a surface temp

OOPSY

Original Poster
Is it the T 8 or the T 5? Where in the tank is it? What is the basking temps? How are you getting them? NO stick ons please -- you want a surface temp
It’s a T8 I believe i will admit it’s in a goofy spot but she can get to it easily and the temps at the uvb light are 100f her basking spot is 96f and her cold side is usually 80-85 i use a temp gun to check all my temps.

OOPSY

Original Poster
Also not sure if i should grab some shed ez and try to get that other side off or if i should continue to leave it?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Also not sure if i should grab some shed ez and try to get that other side off or if i should continue to leave it?
Shed ez does not work -- let the shed do its thing ---- your T 8 should be 6-8 inches directly above the basking decor - NO clear plastic covers over the bulb please you want the bulb exposed and if its 6 months or older please replace it they expire in 6 months I recommend 5-- I have flagged your post to the vet tech on here and another experienced person on the board

OOPSY

Original Poster
Shed ez does not work -- let the shed do its thing ---- your T 8 should be 6-8 inches directly above the basking decor - NO clear plastic covers over the bulb please you want the bulb exposed and if its 6 months or older please replace it they expire in 6 months I recommend 5-- I have flagged your post to the vet tech on here and another experienced person on the board
No clear plastic covers and bulb is only 2-3 months old not sure when i put it in but i know the back up bulb i have has march wrote on it for 6 months replacement but i can start doing 5. I’ve also picked up some raw unpasteurized honey but unsure of how much to use? Also she is on sand i know some people don’t recommend but she loves digging so I didn’t want to ruin that for her but i’m guessing i’ll have to put her back on paper towels again for this right?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
No clear plastic covers and bulb is only 2-3 months old not sure when i put it in but i know the back up bulb i have has march wrote on it for 6 months replacement but i can start doing 5. I’ve also picked up some raw unpasteurized honey but unsure of how much to use? Also she is on sand i know some people don’t recommend but she loves digging so I didn’t want to ruin that for her but i’m guessing i’ll have to put her back on paper towels again for this right?
I would get her off the sand- some textured NON adhesive shelf liner cut to the size of the tank is good you can get it at Walmart or your local home improvement store --- dab the honey on there a couple times per day -- NO crickets in the tank - make sure distance for UVB is 6-8 inches that is going to help w/ the healing -- you can use a dig box in the tank -- play sand mixed w/ some non fertilizer dirt --

OOPSY

Original Poster
Alright and yes i moved her one decor piece up a little higher so she can get closer to the uvb light thanks for your help much appreciated i’ll keep a look out for anymore suggestions as well.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Oh wow, I've never seen that before. I agree that raw unpasteurized honey is the best thing to put on it , just apply it over the area like a lotion in a thin layer. You should have an experienced reptile vet see it. Can you post pics of the tank as it is or was at the time this trauma developed ? If the tank is only 18" high that might mean she's getting too close to the heat lamp. Post pics of the set up and also the heat lamp to show what kind it is and how many watts.

OOPSY

Original Poster
This is her set-up atm i know it’s a little dirty atm i was waiting for her shed to finish up before i went through it. Also are pictures of her bulbs i live in Canada and have found i need to use extra heat especially at night when her light goes off or in the summer time with the ac so i also have a CHE i use. I work 12 hours but have tomorrow off so i’m going through her whole tank and replacing the sand with a non adhesive shelf liner so i can start with the honey. Idk if they are good at hiding pain but she doesn’t seem stressed by it.

Attachments

• 25C92614-7F9D-4A28-9524-9A508938E4E0.jpeg
    25C92614-7F9D-4A28-9524-9A508938E4E0.jpeg
    210.1 KB · Views: 94
  • 7D131566-7D64-48D9-B818-7DB84911E2A1.jpeg
    7D131566-7D64-48D9-B818-7DB84911E2A1.jpeg
    248.9 KB · Views: 63
  • 47B5AB76-92F7-44F9-8331-BFE9E233DB53.jpeg
    47B5AB76-92F7-44F9-8331-BFE9E233DB53.jpeg
    197.2 KB · Views: 76
  • 9AEA1816-6CAA-4340-B6AD-A2E2549446F6.jpeg
    9AEA1816-6CAA-4340-B6AD-A2E2549446F6.jpeg
    165.6 KB · Views: 80

OOPSY

Original Poster
Here also is better pictures of the two areas i thought i had pictures of the red area that started before her shed but i cant find any. I will also add it was a bright red at first and then went real dark almost black once she started her shed.

Attachments

• 6F241610-5E7D-424D-A5F8-9CCA8701C3B4.jpeg
    6F241610-5E7D-424D-A5F8-9CCA8701C3B4.jpeg
    179.6 KB · Views: 90
  • 692339BA-8133-446B-9834-2B2DDC0C0BE4.jpeg
    692339BA-8133-446B-9834-2B2DDC0C0BE4.jpeg
    122.5 KB · Views: 82

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
This is her set-up atm i know it’s a little dirty atm i was waiting for her shed to finish up before i went through it. Also are pictures of her bulbs i live in Canada and have found i need to use extra heat especially at night when her light goes off or in the summer time with the ac so i also have a CHE i use. I work 12 hours but have tomorrow off so i’m going through her whole tank and replacing the sand with a non adhesive shelf liner so i can start with the honey. Idk if they are good at hiding pain but she doesn’t seem stressed by it.
The slate rock what is the surface temp? Those get really hot but the top of her head is a mystery to me-- hopefully ahbd has more ideas- does she climb on the decor thing in the corner?

OOPSY

Original Poster
The slate rock what is the surface temp? Those get really hot but the top of her head is a mystery to me-- hopefully ahbd has more ideas- does she climb on the decor thing in the corner?
The rock is her basking spot usually sits around 95 was 96 yesterday when i looked but is 92 today it’s a little colder today and yeah she jumps up there from the rock usually and the highest temp on that today is 95. Highest temp i’ve ever had in months is like 102 i believe i used to use a 150w bulb but switched that out long ago because i knew she didn’t need those temps anymore being she’s over 2 years old now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
milosmom
Top Bottom