Saw my first leatherback!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monkey

Juvie Member
Or mix I suspect, but he was almost perfectly smooth, in PETCO of all places. What's the odds for that one? I was so tempted to grab him and run!
I have almost never seen leatherbacks before and that was the first one I saw in real life. How common are they?

dmglakewood

Hatchling Member
From what I've researched they are quite rare. They have no idea what causes if. I guess some breeders are trying to figure it out but nothing yet. Even more rare then that is the silkback. It's what you get when you breed 2 leatherback beardies

silk66.jpg

They have no scales at all and resemble a salamander I think

spyder79

Extreme Poster
Um the leatherback gene is well known and well categorized and is not in the least a "rare" morph. They pop up from time to time in places like petco and pet smart due to the breeders that these companies use breed at such a high scale volume they just throw together groups of X amount of beardies and barely even look at what bloodlines they are pushing to the stores (hince you periodically seeing a accidental leather or smoothie in a chain store).

The leather gene can be co-dominant or recessive and there are two distinct lines (american smoothie, typically recessive/ and the italian leather typically much smoother than an american smoothie and typically from a co-dom line). If you breed to leathers together you will get a percentage of silks(the picture posted above). I believe there are people working to see if breeding an italian leather to a american smoothie results in silks but I do not believe that has been proven yet.

Monkey

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Ahhh Thank you for clarifying :)

I was surprised and to me they seemed rare so I was curious :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lienminhokvip
Top Bottom