Saphira being weird

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wish this was one of my cute little stories but I'm actually having issues that I don't know how to deal with. My buddy has been opening his mouth at me a lot. Even if I'm just talking to him in his cage. He won't hardly let me hold him and when I do it's only for a minute at most before he runs back into his cage. This is a major concern for me because his cage is far too small for him. I know this and that's why I try to keep him out of it as much as I can. (Even building a bigger cage is too expensive it seems. Tax returns) I know they go through puberty and he is starting his shedding discoloration on one front leg and the soft scales on the back of his neck. I'm really missing my buddy. The whole "don't touch me thing" isn't just a random thing now. I can't even pet him hardly. He is eating, pooing, and has no stress marks. He is about a year old. I'm trying to figure out a way to keep him warm so I can put him in the windowsill so he can look outside to see if that cheers him up. Any ideas on that would be greatly appreciated.It was 24 degrees today. He is in the warmest room in the house. I don't know what to do. :( :( :(

Taralachelle

Hatchling Member
He could be starting to brumate due to the weather change, or he's moody due to the shedding. My guy is a little over a year and has recently started acting more moody as well

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
When you say the cage is too small, how small is it? Its important he has room to move around and thermoregulate. Gotta remember an enclosure is a home...not jail.
Also give him a body check to see if maybe the behavior isn't caused by something painful.

Minimum3

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Rankins":39y6llj7 said:
When you say the cage is too small, how small is it? Its important he has room to move around and thermoregulate. Gotta remember an enclosure is a home...not jail.
Also give him a body check to see if maybe the behavior isn't caused by something painful.

I've done the body check he didn't flinch or move. He wasn't happy about it. He's cage is 20 gallons reptile encloser. (I know I know I know!)One of the fancy ones. When I rescued him he was in a ten gallon and I was told he wasn't going to get much bigger. (I knew nothing andI mean nothing about lizards. I was going to adopt him out and the cage was going to be part of the incentive). But even building him a proper encloser is not financially visible at the moment. And before negitive thoughts run through people's heads, Christmas isn't financially viable either. It's a wide foot print and low ceiling. He's not glass dancing and DOES NOT want out. I've read and researched and all I can find is a puberty reference

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
Since your low on cash you could make do with a large plastic clear bin. You can make a screen top stapled to a wooded frame and screw it to the lid. Then put your mercury bulb on top.
Its not the best enclosure in the world, but much better than a 20 gallon tank.

Minimum3

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
SpacialCoogs":3fnp2efd said:
Is he sleeping a lot? It may be hormones as opposed to brumation.
no. He is actually more active. But he is being super picky about his food as well. It seems carrots and crickets at all he'll eat.

SpacialCoogs

Sub-Adult Member
It could be hormonal and a start of some breeding behaviour.

Can you let him run around the house supervised and then when he starts to get tired and go to sleep scoop him up for cuddles?

Minimum3

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
SpacialCoogs":2vvqalca said:
It could be hormonal and a start of some breeding behaviour.

Can you let him run around the house supervised and then when he starts to get tired and go to sleep scoop him up for cuddles?
That's normally what I do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DarthPenumbra
Top Bottom