sand

Status
Not open for further replies.

dougtrav1

I just got sand for my bearded dragon and it said on the bag it does not cause impaction and it has lots of calcium etc so when i put it in i thought well this will be good and my bearded dragon rex after a few minutes started eating it and he had like 5 bites of it and then i thought its ok it proably cant hurt but in the morning he kept eating it and when i got back from work he was under his log and closing his eyes and he might be sick so what should i do? :(

jeritta

Sub-Adult Member
Get rid of all the sand ASAP then get some sweetpotatoe babyfood or some plain canned pumpkin and add a couple of drops of olive oil to it and feed it to your baby. Put the mixture on his/her nose and let him lick it off and keep an eye on him/her. you also need to give warm baths and gently massage the belly and try to work the sand impaction out so your baby can poop out the sand.

The makers market the sand as safe but it clumps up it the beardies bellies and causes impactions. It is better to have a substrate such as paper towels, tile, etc... no loose substrate.

coastergirl946

Hatchling Member
Please get him to the vet immediately.

And remove all of the sand before you put him back in his enclosure. I cannot stress this enough. The sand is by no means digestible, and the sooner you get him veterinary help, the better his chances will be of making it.

I have seen for myself what trying to pass a calci-sand impaction does to beardies.. it hurts them badly and causes them a severe amount of stress.. it is NOT something you want to witness. :(

dougtrav1

Original Poster
he is getting better and he pooped today and ate vegtables but he still is under his log and i might take him to vet and i will get rid of sand

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaiuytinco1
Top Bottom