Sam isnt doing to well

Status
Not open for further replies.

pinetop

Ok so ive posted about this before but its gotten worse
sam has stopped eating since Thursday
we took 'her' to the vet saturday
they gave us antibiotics and that carnivore care stuff to feed her
well still not eating on her own so yesterday we took 'her' to a better different vet
to find out that sam is a man the vet sexed him and told us that
sam is a male and that he might not be eating because he was being house with another male
i bought these as a pair almost a year ago and they were always housed together
so i put sam in a different tank with paper towels her salad water and a basking rock
she still hasn't aten for us yet she just sits there on her basking rock
even after the vet gave her something to boost her appetite
im going to try to feed her again tommorw
we have been giving her two baths daily she drinks a good amount
but i check on her every hour im afraid he wont make it
im very nervous the vet says wait till tuesday and if she dosent eat take her in to have her swallow something and they x ray her every hour to see whats going on

MBrian

Juvie Member
Your vet is right about how you shouldn't house 2 bearded dragons together but it's especially dangerous housing two males together.I'm glad you separated them.

What UVB are you using? Such as Brand and is it a bulb/coil or a fluorescent strip?Also does he get any form of calcium supplements?
Have you had him checked for parasites? You can have it done through a fecal exam and I wouldn't advise you give him any antibiotics if you don't know what the problem is.What did he prescribe him?For now you can try feeding him baby food through a syringe, you just put it on the tip of his mouth and he'll probably eat it.I would also take his water bowl out as it can cause his enclosure high humidity and make it uncomfortable for him. You can spray him if you like and he will also stay hydrated by eating his greens. I would also advise a nice warm bath for him and see if he poops in there. When was the last time he pooped?

Also, I noticed you said she has 2 baths daily and drinks a good amount of water. Sounds like he may be a little dehydrated as well. What are your temps on his basking area? What are you using to get the the temp readings? Probe or Temp gun?

It can also be a sign of Brumation but lets rule out all other possibilities first.

pinetop

Original Poster
MBrian":2lq8mygf said:
Your vet is right about how you shouldn't house 2 bearded dragons together but it's especially dangerous housing two males together.I'm glad you separated them.

What UVB are you using? Such as Brand and is it a bulb/coil or a fluorescent strip?Also does he get any form of calcium supplements?
Have you had him checked for parasites? You can have it done through a fecal exam and I wouldn't advise you give him any antibiotics if you don't know what the problem is.What did he prescribe him?For now you can try feeding him baby food through a syringe, you just put it on the tip of his mouth and he'll probably eat it.I would also take his water bowl out as it can cause his enclosure high humidity and make it uncomfortable for him. You can spray him if you like and he will also stay hydrated by eating his greens. I would also advise a nice warm bath for him and see if he poops in there. When was the last time he pooped?

Also, I noticed you said she has 2 baths daily and drinks a good amount of water. Sounds like he may be a little dehydrated as well. What are your temps on his basking area? What are you using to get the the temp readings? Probe or Temp gun?

It can also be a sign of Brumation but lets rule out all other possibilities first.
wow i completely forgot she also had pin worms so we treated her for that
we use a powersun 10.0 and humiditys not a problem because she is in a seprate 40 gallon breeder without a lid
right now i just have a 100 watt basking spot because the powersun blew out
she pooped yesterday but it wasnt big or a normal one its propably like 95 on the basking spot

MBrian

Juvie Member
Ah okay glad your treating him for Pinworms. As far as the problem is concerned I don't want to give you any wrong advise so hopefully somebody more experienced with beardies health issues will jump in on this topic. As far as the Powersun bulb they are not recommended at the moment you are better off going with a Arcadia or Repti-sun 10.0. It also sounds like your not too sure about the temps, but they are kind of important it concerns me when you say he drinks a lot of water every time you bathe him because it sounds like dehydration.

Hope your beardie feels better soon and hopefully someone more knowledgeable with health issues jumps in on the thread.

MBrian

Juvie Member
I'm very sorry to hear that you obviously cared by taking him to the vet and asking for help on here,you did the right thing and did all you could.

sobotta

Hatchling Member
So sorry, I just lost my baby boy Spike Sunday. At least Sam had you who obviously cared for him very much!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J.sobrero
Top Bottom