Salt Water Aquarium for VIV?

Status
Not open for further replies.

twicky

I have a chance to purchase what was used as a "saltwater" aquarium for my BD.
It's 100 gal. Is there any precautions I should be aware of before buying it or
before I introduce "Cutie" into her new potential enviornment? I like the idea
of "Cutie" having a mansion instead of her present VIV (about 25 gal).

Don't know his age but he's 15". He's out of his enclosure usually about 5 hours a day.
Only had him about 6 weeks and just an unbelieveable pet. Even my cat doesn't mind
sharing the house & my attention with him.

I know I'll have to clean this thoroughly before introducing "Cutie". Will vinegar be enough?
Any hints would be so appreciated.

kittyCutie_best_2pics.jpg

ScooterBlenny

Hatchling Member
You could spray it with clorox to disinfect it. If you do, just be sure to rinse it thoroughly until you can't smell bleach anymore.

protiemama

Gray-bearded Member
I wouldn't use clorox personally, just me. Try vinegar and baking soda. The bubbles are soo cool for the kids to watch, and together V&BS will clean almost anything. It may take some scrubbing to get the water lines off, but it is worth it.

Sandy H

jckevns

my viv used to be a fish tank, i used clorox to clean it, i must have rinsed the bleach out with water for a half an hour lol after i cleaned it i let it sit for a couple of weeks before my beardie went in, haven't had any problems yet

npedersen

Hatchling Member
Really anything will work as long as you can't smell it and the residue is all gone. Bleach would be the best bet, IMHO as it will kill all the germs. Maybe you could use the V&BS after to help neutralize it.

twicky

Original Poster
Thanks everyone, appreciate the help.

Has anyone heard of 'coralline algae'?
The guy I'm getting the tank from, says the tank needs a minor cleaning.
Anyone aware of any problems with cleaning this up or its residue?

Rick

markv

I just got a new viv for Screech and it was a disaster when I got it. So to make cleaning easier I took it to the car wash and power washed the inside of that sucker for about 5 minutes! I gotta say that initial cleaning was amazingly easy! Then when I got it home I did the vinegar/bakingsoda/boiling water deal and wiped everything down again and cleaned it off. Honestly it took less than an hour to clean the whole thing, and that included travel time to and from the car wash!

There is no way I could have cleaned it that easily any other way because I live in an apartment.

So remember, power washers are your friend!

Screech is still freaked out of her new home, but I think she's starting to get used to it. I'll posted a picture in the next few days after I get her new UVB lamp I'm waiting for. I even got her a nice water fountain for the tank, filter and all! She just stares at it, but I think it is quite nice!

twicky

Original Poster
I will keep the Power Washer in mind. Great idea.

I backed off the deal on the salt water tank. It was plexiglass and I was told it had a bunch of tiny scratches that disappeared when water was introduced to the tank. Since I'm not using water, that was a problem.

The other problem is it had a opening on top that was a fixed opening and I was afraid it might be too small to put "Cutie" in and out, without catching his cute little body on it.

I'm still looking for the mansion he deserves and I now feel confident in knowing that I'll clean it right.
th

anks all ...

pamedee

twicky":66bfe said:
Thanks everyone, appreciate the help.

Has anyone heard of 'coralline algae'?
The guy I'm getting the tank from, says the tank needs a minor cleaning.
Anyone aware of any problems with cleaning this up or its residue?

Rick

Uuuhh, coralline algae can be a real chore to clean. This is algae that grows on the glass of the aquarium that is made of calcium so it will be very difficult to remove. You will need to use a razor blade and a lot of elbow grease. If the aquarium has just a few spots, it shouldn't be too bad but if the glass is really covered with this stuff, I wouldn't get it.

Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sohaiko
Top Bottom