Safe, Easy, Cheap Way To Ship Dubias?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slave2Scarlett

Gray-bearded Member
I was just wondering if anyone knew of a website where u can buy shipping boxes for dubias or if u have anything other ideas or advice.. Thanks!

Sapphire

Sub-Adult Member
You can get boxes for free from usps.com. You just have to pay for shipping when you take them to the post office. I used the flat rate boxes for shipping roaches. You also probably want to put them in a plastic container inside the box so there's no risk of them escaping.

Slave2Scarlett

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Ok see tht was my question what to put them in before u put them in the box.. Thanks a lot! Do u use any kinda cold packs?

Captian

I have never shipped dubias but last time I received some I had no DOA's so I'll explain how they were shipped. The bowl had a screen on the lid and a ring of tiny holes around the top of the bowl. The bowl was filled with egg crate pieces to the top so that they wouldn't get shaken up to much. The bowl was in a box with holes punched in it, and there was packing paper balled up in the corners to hold the bowl still inside the box. One thing I have found as well is that if you print your shipping label and have hold at p.o. in print, it usually gets passed over. The only time I have had a box held at the P.O. was when the sender used a bright blue sharpie and hand wrote HOLD AT P.O. across all the sides.

I hope that wasn't too mixed up, I have a tendency to ramble and forget what I was talking about. :oops:

randommonks

Sub-Adult Member
When I got my order, they were in a flat rate USPS box and loose in the box. They were packed with several egg cartons so the dubias had something to hang on to during the trip. The only downside is that when I opened the box, roaches were EVERYWHERE and it was really gross. But it's the most economical way to go about it.

Captian

randommonks":2tagkmmu said:
When I got my order, they were in a flat rate USPS box and loose in the box. They were packed with several egg cartons so the dubias had something to hang on to during the trip. The only downside is that when I opened the box, roaches were EVERYWHERE and it was really gross. But it's the most economical way to go about it.

I would literally cry, scream them cry some more if I opened a box and bugs of any kind started coming out at me. I refuse to buy crickets anymore because I can't get them from box to tank without a few escaping. You could always use a recycled container. Sour cream, butter dish, whatever.

randommonks

Sub-Adult Member
Captian":3pioza3u said:
I would literally cry, scream them cry some more if I opened a box and bugs of any kind started coming out at me. I refuse to buy crickets anymore because I can't get them from box to tank without a few escaping. You could always use a recycled container. Sour cream, butter dish, whatever.

Yeah I wasn't really happy with the way that order was packed, but they arrived alive in Texas summer. We'll see how this new order goes, and how it's packed.

Sapphire

Sub-Adult Member
Slave2Scarlett":t5xl8fb2 said:
Ok see tht was my question what to put them in before u put them in the box.. Thanks a lot! Do u use any kinda cold packs?

I was putting them in a large round plastic Glad container (buying a pack of 3 for like $2 at walmart, they fit nicely inside a medium flat rate USPS box), poked holes in the lid with a fork (heat a metal fork up with a lighter or if you have a gas stove, use the flames from that to heat it so the holes are easy to poke through plastic), put the roaches in, put in a potato and some egg crate, taped the glad container lid shut with packing tape just to be safe, and used newspaper/sales ads to pack around the container to keep it from sliding around in the box.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kiricowell
Top Bottom