Runny Poo Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone reading this,

I've been a forum stalker here for quite awhile, ever since I got my dragon Savy about a year and a half ago. I don't post much but you guys have been super helpful with information when I got freaked out about something that wasn't actually anything. Thank you very much!

Question:
I got home today and I found some very runny poo in his tank that look like it has some eye caps from the worms that are undigested, but the poo didn't smell at all really. How much should I worry about this? Is this very serious? Should I take him to the vet? Recently I bought a dewormer for him as a preventative precaution but just haven't given it to him yet. He hasn't been overly active during the day since he came out of brumation about... 2 months ago I guess, but that's difficult to say that with absolute certainty because I work full time during the day. He is very alert and runs around quite a bit when I take him out and turns a lovely shade of orange/yellow. He has been a bit darker when he's in his tank lately (maybe for about a week or two), his beard hasn't been black but his belly spots have been visible. Not super dark but visible. I wasn't sure if that was just because he's in a bad mood because he's shedding, he always brightened right up when I took him out. Then his poo got a little on the runny side, which I know hornworms as a staple can make poo softer, but then it got really runny (as shown) and I'm pretty sure that's past what's normal.

Though, after rechecking all the temperatures for this post, it looks like his hot spot is a little on the toasty side... should I give him the dewormer (Panacur) and try to lower the temperatures and see how it goes for a bit before freaking out and going to the vet? He seems like a happy, healthy boy otherwise. I made him some softer than usual Grub pie tonight try to get some more moisture in him, which he gobbled up. I'm probably just being an overly nervous mama. He's definitely not off his food, hasn't ever been.

Dragon info:
I've had him since November 2014
Name: Savrin (Savy for short)
Weight: 448 grams
Length: 19.5 inches
Tank size: 4ft L x 1.5 ft W x 2ft H (I have a background in there he can climb on, as shown in picture)
Bulb: Arcadia T5 Reptile Lamp, 39W 34 inch florescent, I was told it would penetrate up to 2ft and I just replaced it about a month ago
Heat: ExoTerra 150W CHE
Temperatures: I have two thermometers, a black one (spot probe) and a white one (area).
Black: Hot spot: 112.8°F
White: Hot spot: 110.6°F
Cold side: between 70-80°F, I think the white one read 74° before I switched it to the hot side to get a second opinion
Substrate: Vinyl linoleum flooring (as shown in image) cleaned regularly, small square of paper towel he usually poops on this. I didn't plan it, he sortof usually just does it. Not this time, but usually.
Insects: Hornworms, every second day, 3-5 medium/largeish (or as many as he wants, generally that's how many he eats) and my fallback if I don't have worms (like today) is Grub Pie. Generally he gets his insects in the evenings.
Veggies: Fresh every morning, Collard greens, shredded raw butternut squash, dandelion greens. Once a week he gets fruit as a treat.
Bath: A couple of times per week, more now because he's shedding (just finished his back, stomach coming soon), about every other day.
Water consumption: Every morning he is offered a drink from the tap, lately has been drinking every morning, used to drink every second day or so. I don't mist him.
Suppliments: Started him on different suppliments recently. I found he was getting impacted with the Repashy Multi Vitamin with calcium that I was using. I ordered a couple from BeardedDragon.co: Calcium (he's been offered 3 times, dusted worms once, dusted salad lightly twice), Bee pollen (he's been offered twice in salad), and an organic multivitamin, which he hasn't had yet. I also got him some probiotic powder, seemed like a good thing to do, but I'm waiting on the measuring spoons.
Other info: I've never taken him to the vet, hasn't really ever seemed to be a need, I've never had any serious worry with him, besides mild constipation and I managed to fix those few times with warm baths and an olive oil dipped bug. Reptile vets are few and far between where I live, but I'd drive to the ends of the earth if there was ever a need for one, and I don't have a drivers license :p. The fixtures (wire cage for CHE and fluorescent hood) are both mounted inside his tank. The wire cage is mounted further from the background so he can't easily reach it, the fluorescent hood is closer to the background so he can get rather close to it but not easily touch it or mess with it. Savy has no room mates, he reigns by himself and his only subjects are 2 humans: one a devoted slave (me), the other an interested observer.

Brief personal reptile history: Savy is my second dragon, my first (Draco) I had a long time ago when there was significantly less information available about them, but I did my best. He lived about 8.5 years and was my best friend.

Pictures:
If you want to see any of them larger, right click on the image and select "View image".
Picture of the poo I found, those greens in the picture are spilled from his dish:
33254eb.jpg

Picture of grumpy dragon after I took a picture of the poo:
2m7swp3.jpg

Another angle of him, I'm pretty sure he's not skinny at all, looks pretty healthy I think?
e9w1tv.jpg

Two pictures of his tank with a curious dragon wondering what that white thing is:
21m8dqs.jpg

332w004.jpg

This was last week, you can see his back is shedding still:
33z9pfq.jpg

Sorry for the novel, I figured I should be thorough. Congrats if you made it this far! :p Thanks in advance for any help or advice!

Edit: P.S. There's no salad in the picture because some of the poo moisture got on the bottom of the dish, so I took it out to clean it. I gave him his dinner right after the pictures were taken.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there....Savy looks great , wouldn't want him to get any bigger , he has good body weight. :) The runny poo might have to do with him being a bit overheated + drinking more. Your hot temp. can go down to 105. And sometimes they do have a change in the poo, just see how it goes for the next few days. Some owners do give Panacur as a preventive, but it doesn't work on all parasites. Are you familiar with dosing him ?

Silvertoaster

Original Poster
Thanks for your reply AHBD. Thanks for letting me know that he looks like he's doing well :) That really puts my mind at ease, I've adjusted some of his furniture to try to bring the basking temp down a bit, I'll be checking the temperatures again when I get home and I'll probably give him the Panacur tonight. Yeah, it doesn't cover everything, but it doesn't hurt to try to prevent some things, imho anyway.

I haven't ever dosed a beardie but I'm in contact with the site owner who I got the Panacur from and she helped me with the calculation. For the actual dosing part I was going to do what this youtube video described. Any pointers you'd like to give me would be appreciated though! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylis342
Top Bottom