Running out of food...Yikes!

Status
Not open for further replies.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yeah probably. He could handle small ones but they grow very quickly and would soon be quite large for him to handle. I'd stick with silk worms and black soldier fly larvae for a while.

Reptilelady

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Thanks for your input. I was checking out what other feeders they eat and was curious about the hornworms. I'll wait it out til he is older to feed him. He absolutely loves the BSFL everytime he sees them he runs across the terrarium and almost out of his cage. I am like woah... never seen him be that excited for worms :D :lol: I will check on the silkworms when they are in stock and see how he likes those. All i can say is he loves food so much. I've been giving him more greens, he is not to much into the watercress but he does love the dandelion greens / collard greens. I will have to check other greens so he has some variety.

charmander16

Juvie Member
Don't shy away from crickets IMO.

My staples are dubia, but I often, despite my best efforts, end up in your situation of running out before new ones have arrived. I go right to PetSmart (despite hating the place) and buy 25 to 30 large crickets (or smaller back in the day)to hold me over until the roaches get in.

Also, I try to always have a feeder worm on hand which is usually just a treat typically, but can also help when roaches run out.

My guy is big enough now that I always have superworms on hand and usually only give him 1 a day, but if I run low on roaches I may up it to 2 or 3.

Also, are you feeding your BSFL? I don't use them anymore, but I always fed mine and they will grow quickly and quite large. Mine would typically triple or quadruple in size, which makes them more viable as a staple or at least a hold over staple. They can grow quite a bit just overnight in case you need to do it as an emergency measure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaiuytinco1
Top Bottom