Ruby Sprinkles-**undigested worms?**

Status
Not open for further replies.

EccentricME

Hatchling Member
I am hoping to rescue this dragon.
poorbaby.jpg

This poor baby, I want to cry looking at her. I found her on CL :cry: I am picking her up as soon as I can!!! We can't have anymore animals where we live BUT we are moving in a few days. After that we can have a zoo if we want.
I tried telling the lady that the dragon's health needs attention, I told her about dehydration and giving baths so I am hoping she takes it to heart what I said.

I want help with a list of things I might need for her so I am prepared. I am thinking of a few things I I am not sure of everything.

Plain electrolyte solution (how much do you put in a bath?)
baby foods chicken-squash any other beardie safe foods *or* I have a blender
new reptisun10.0 (I don't think she has a uvb light at all; I would buy a new one either way)
new syringes to feed
Don't worry she will get new substrate the second I get her!
I have a good reptile vet but I also know someone pretty close that will probably do a fecal for me and I thought there was someone on BD.org I could buy meds from?
Liquid calcium (Where can you get this?)
I already have a CHE to keep on at night for extra warmth
Not completely necessary but I might make a 'blankie' and sleep with it a few days before I get her and give it too her so she gets used to me

IDK what else guys?

Thanks for any input. I really hope to get her sooner than Fri/Saturday my husband said he will do what he can to have our place ready to move in before then so we can get her. I am so great-full he is totally on board with this!!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi Eccentric....so nice of you to save this dragon. Thankfully it's somewhat alert, although obviously very thin. Right off the bat, I would suggest you let her settle in comfortably without the stress of a vet visit. The mod Drache613 sells liquid calcium,[ her website is called bug-de-lite], so that will help if she has MBD [ looks like possibly starting ] Just ease her into eating insects, if she has an appetite and willingly eats them, feed her small meals twice a day. As she gains weight + size , increase the number of feedings to 3 times a day. Greens should be offered as well. She doesn't necessarily need Pedialyte, but if you want a product with electrolytes, Tracie's website also sells " Leapin' lizards electrolyte" What that dragon needs is a good setup, some good food and water and it should hopefully bounce back. Hopefully it's not impacted from the wood chips.

MissFirefly

Hatchling Member
If you need the liquid calcium ASAP I have seen it at Petco so you might be able to pick up a bottle there.

And thank you for rescuing this poor girl! Please keep us updated on her progress once she's in your good care.

EccentricME

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thanks guys! I saw that electrolyte solution for reptiles after I posted, I am going to get that for her. The owner wants $100 for everything. I have an extra tank so I am going to ask for the dragon only. I am hoping the owner will let her go for free or really cheap. I don't really have a lot of money but I can't just let her go. I didn't sleep well last night and had dreams about bearded dragons....I will do everything I can :(

EccentricME

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
So I am going to get this dragon tomorrow (Friday). I am really excited to get her and try to turn her life around but I am also nervous about taking care of her. Whatever I do will be a million times better than how she is living now; it's just nerve wrecking. I asked for resent pictures and she looked alert in those picture as well so I am hoping that giving her the basics is just what she needs. I bought, reptisun10.0, squash and chicken bbfood just in case, liquid supplements and Flucker's reptaboost. I hope this stuff is okay. http://www.petco.com/product/117291/Flukers-ReptaBoost-Insectavore-And-Carnivore-High-Amp-Boost.aspx I saw there was something like it on the beardeddragon.co site but it wouldn't be shipped in time. I hate buying from petco but I wanted stuff ready before the dragon came to us.

I keep looking at the pictures of her, it's probably too soon to be doing this, but I think if she really is a she I am going to name her Ruby. Rubies start as dirty drab rocks and then are transformed in to a pretty little gem. I am hoping that is what is going to happen with her :)

Well, wish us luck. I will post pictures after I get 'her' tomorrow.

MissFirefly

Hatchling Member
EccentricME":3s5amlzw said:
So I am going to get this dragon tomorrow (Friday). I am really excited to get her and try to turn her life around but I am also nervous about taking care of her. Whatever I do will be a million times better than how she is living now; it's just nerve wrecking. I asked for resent pictures and she looked alert in those picture as well so I am hoping that giving her the basics is just what she needs. I bought, reptisun10.0, squash and chicken bbfood just in case, liquid supplements and Flucker's reptaboost. I hope this stuff is okay. http://www.petco.com/product/117291/Flukers-ReptaBoost-Insectavore-And-Carnivore-High-Amp-Boost.aspx I saw there was something like it on the beardeddragon.co site but it wouldn't be shipped in time. I hate buying from petco but I wanted stuff ready before the dragon came to us.

I keep looking at the pictures of her, it's probably too soon to be doing this, but I think if she really is a she I am going to name her Ruby. Rubies start as dirty drab rocks and then are transformed in to a pretty little gem. I am hoping that is what is going to happen with her :)

Well, wish us luck. I will post pictures after I get 'her' tomorrow.

You have put so much work into preparing for her that I know you'll do an amazing job! I can't wait to see her picture and see how she progresses once in your care :D

EccentricME

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thanks Laura and MissFirefly it's great knowing there's help right at my finger tips! :wink: When I was 13 my puppy had muscular problems in his jaw. My mom just wanted to put down; I begged her not to. I had to syringe feed/water him a few times a day and give him meds until the swelling went down and he could eat on his own. That dog lived a long time he was my best buddy. I am good with mammals, I have also, literally, saved human lives. If this help wasn't here, I probably wouldn't think I could even help a sick reptile; they are so much different than us warm blood creatures.
Thanks again guys!

EccentricME

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
So I finally got Ruby as far as I can tell she is a she. My son wanted to name her Sprinkles so she is now Ruby Sprinkles. I can't believe the crap the people were trying to feed me....Like they know what they were talking about! :puke: :angry5:
Ruby is so SMALL and skinny. Her growth has definitely been stunted from horrible care. The people said they had her for 2 years and got her from someone else. So.... who knows how old she is? :( I wish I had a scale, I was going to buy on but we are moving and everything I needed to get for her was more money than I thought so I guess it will have to wait. :oops: She is definitely alert, I gave here a bath right when I got home she drank sooooooo much water and just loved laying in the water. Good thing because she stinks! She has waste stuck on her belly/around her vent that I couldn't get it all off. I will try more tomorrow.

I was going to buy a 40galbreeder from someone on CL but they bombed on me so I just bought the tank she was in. The thing is so stinkin' tall I think I am going to have trouble with the temps I had to stack some boxes in it just to make it work. She is loving the warmth, I wonder if she ever had even the correct temperature?! They had a dome light teetering on the edge of the tank. with no UVB.
I didn't go over board with it but I gave her a little vitamin/repta-boost, squash mixture in a syringe and she inhaled it. I will give her more in the morning and try 1 or 2 wax worms and leave a salad out for her. I think
I was really nervous when I was there and I forgot to ask when they thought her last bowel movement was....like they would have even known she was living in the garage! As soon as I get a good sample I am going to send it some where to be checked.

Here are some pictures that I took her legs are so skinny make me sad!
photo-25.jpg

photo-26.jpg

photo-24.jpg

photo-28.jpg

photo-29.jpg

The last picture was after she ate and took a bath, basking happily.

I will take any and all tips!! Thanks everyone!

EccentricME

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Ruby ate good this morning I made another soft food mixture with the repta-boost she ate about 2mls and then I gave her a little bit of rocket greens; she ate all of what I gave her. I am going to give her a bath after she basks for a few hours. How many times a day should I feed her to start? I am thinking 3 but I don't want to go to fast and make her stomach upset. When I asked the last time she ate the people seemed like they were lying, so IDk.
Should I give her a bath once a day or would twice be better for a few days?

Lincoln my male saw her this morning full black beard and head bobbing!!!! :love10: I never seen that before it was pretty interesting. LOL

Esther19

BD.org Addict
Wow, she looks better already! Great job you are doing with her! I think you could feed her 3 times a day, small meals. You just don't want to overdo on the live feeders/protein until her body becomes accustomed to food again. I don't think 2 baths would hurt her, either. Do you have some type of probiotic? That would help, too, just to get her good gut flora reestablished. Keep up the good work!

EccentricME

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thanks Ester. I don't have any probiotics right now. I am going to have to wait to order some when more $$ comes in. I read that soy yogurt is an okay sub for now, what do you think? And a friend from IL is going to send me some cash monday to buy a scale so by the end of next week I will have a scale. Ruby Sprinkles couldn't have come at a worst time for our bank account but I am already over the moon about having her and I am so happy we got her; even if I can't go to Starbucks anymore! :mrgreen:

EccentricME

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
She just had a bowel movement. I was kind of lucky it happened when I was checking on her. There were no urates, liquid was passed first then a small bowel movement it was kind of soft on the outside layer and dry-ish on the inside. (If that makes sense?) I am glad she went; I am hoping that means she is not impacted from the weird substrate she was on.

I know there are people on here that will do fecal exams; I am wondering where I can send a sample to get her checked. And how do you even send feces in the mail? :?

I have liquid calcium and liquid vitamins how much of that should I be giving her?

I also have Flucker's repta-boost; without knowing her weight does anyone have an idea of how much I should be giving her? It comes with a little scoop, I have been putting 1 scoop in each of her meals. I read the instructions, I am pretty good with medical stuff, and IMO the chart to decide dosage was hard to understand.

She has eaten about 2mls of my squash/chicken/supplement mixture (2/3 squash1/3chicken) 3 times. She seems like she had enough each time she also ate a little bit of green that I dropped in front of her each time also. I am hoping that not too much, I know to ease her in to things I just don't know how easy to be. <~~~~ Probably over worrying here? :wink:

~Amber

EccentricME

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
photo-30.jpg

This was right after her bath/breakfast this morning. I really cant believe what 4mls(about) of food and 2 baths will do!! She is such a peanut showing off her messy food face. Can you believe she is supposed to be older than 2?

Alright I am done posting for now. :wink: 8)

lauraj1055

Gray-bearded Member
she looks like she is smiling at you. Thank god you got her. She is so cute... You can PM me if you need any help.. I haven't been on facebook, so I'm not sure if you have all your questions answered yet. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
milosmom
Top Bottom