Rubbing nose against glass

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndyT

Juvie Member
Hello, my baby beardie has been running against the front of his tank recently, and now its become noticeable on his face. I didn't think much of it at first, but now I'm concerned. His nose area is all red and earlier I noticed what looked like little red bumps in that area. I would post a picture, but I didn't get home until recently, so he's asleep. Is there anything that I can do to make him stop this? Will his face heal up if he stops? Everything is right in his enclosure so there is no need to ask about substrate, lighting, etc. Any help would be appreciated.

Andy

Toyguy

Juvie Member
Maybe try relocating some room lights. I noticed my guy kept staring at the glass like he was going to attack it. I got to thinking it might be reflections, so I moved some lights around to reduce it. It seems to have worked, at least a little bit. I've been wondering if anyone makes tanks with something like a micro-etched matte interior surface that would cut reflections.

AndyT

Juvie Member
Original Poster
He does it during the day, when no lights are on. There is a glare, however, from the windows. I can't have them shut all day, because he is in the living room.

Andy

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Try putting some paper up on 3 sides of the tank, so he can't see his reflection. That can really stress them out initially, being able to see their reflection. The paper should help quite a bit until he gets settled in a little bit better.
To treat his nose, you will need to clean that up with some diluted betadine & then apply some antibiotic ointment such as neosporin or polysporin on it to help keep it from getting infected.
Are the temperatures in the tank good? What type of thermometer are you using currently? A stick on type, a digital probe or a temp gun? I am just making sure he isn't getting overheated with the sun shining in. Does the sun shine directly into his tank? The radiant heat can greatly affect the ambient temperatures in a glass tank.
How long have you had him?

Tracie

AndyT

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I have a background on all 3 sides of the tank, to prevent him from being stressed in the first place. I have a probe thermometer and a temp gun, I check the temps a few times daily, just to be sure. I really put a lot of work into making sure he would be happy and healthy :D The sun does not shine directly in, but there is still a glare. I have had him for over a month, but he has only been in his 75 gallon for I think two weeks. Thanks for the advice! He is in shed, so some of that skin came off, and his face looks better(except for the unshed parts). If his problem persists, and his nose gets worse, I will get some Betadine. Where can I find this?

Andy

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

No problem. That sized tank is great, so no worries there at all. :D
Ok, your temps should be good. The range should be 95-110 on the hot side, 78-82 on the cooler side with an overall ambient temp of around 80 or so. Great that you already have paper covering the 3 sides. If there is a glare, maybe you could move the tank a little further away from the glare, it might be bothering him a little bit perhaps.
The betadine is very easy to find. You can get it at any drug store, grocery store in the medication or pharmacy area, or even Walmart should have it. Just dilute it down until it is a very very weak looking solution, kind of like weak tea. It is just enough to have an antiseptic effect without being too strong.
Great that he has shed part of his little face. Sometimes, they can just look ragged for a few days with skin hanging off of them all over the place. I am sure he will glad to get the skin off!

Tracie

AndyT

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Well, I can't move the tank anywhere. It is in the only place in the house such a large item will fit... Next time I am at a store, I'll grab some betadine, just in case. Also, I'm going to Petsmart tomorrow because I'm concerned that my beardie cannot get close enough to his ReptiSUN. Do you think that I could put up a turtle bridge(the ones with suction cups)((may not be a turtle bride, but actually looks like a mossy bridge)) up, that leads to a hammock? Do you think that he would bother to use it? Thanks, you've been great!

Andy

Toyguy

Juvie Member
My guy will climb up on anything I make available. I've settled on a nice branch that reaches up to about 6 inches from the UVB bulb and allows a temp of 115 at the highest point. He usually settles in a little lower than the high spot, so he ends up right around 110 and 8" from the ReptiSUN. Just try to arrange it so that when he has the right temps, he's at the right height. He'll figure it out :)

AndyT

Juvie Member
Original Poster
He has! He loves it! He was climbing all up and down the past two days, and he can get 10-6 inches from the ReptiSun! I wasn't home for this, but he was hanging upside down on the hammock. Anyone else heard of this? My mother was worried, so she took him off and put him down.

Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tlpowell718
Top Bottom