Rough Cricket Order, feed beardie?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Embee

Gray-bearded Member
Hey all,

Well, it was bound to happen sometime. Received a batch up crx today (500 order) and most died on route. If I have 100 alive, I'd be surprised. I called Flukers and they are sending out a replacement shipment tomorrow. It was the agent's theory that they became overheated. It's mild here (Seattle area), but I suppose it could have happened on route somewhere... they are shipped from the southeast. :dontknow:

The ones that ARE alive seem pretty sluggish, save for a few peppy ones among the group. Is it safe to feed beardie the live ones, or should I play it extra-safe and discard the lot? I lean toward always playing it safe, but I was hoping to avoid the pet store crickets which are small and expensive. I suppose I can feed her the PWs I have left, but I need to order some more of those as well. Arg. :roll:

Opinions?

Thanks!
Em

BeardieBaby69

Hatchling Member
This is just my opinion, and Im new at this too , but if it were me , I would play it safe and just give PWs and greens untill a fresh batch gets there. They MAY have gotten overheated , but you dont really know for sure. I dont know about you , but I paid alot of money for my lil baby and I will ALWAYS play it on the safe side. If it dont feel right , dont do it. Thats just my opinion tho. Maybe some one with more experience can be of more help.

Good luck ! Teri

spurlee01

BD.org Addict
I would definitely play it safe. Any thing could be wrong with those crickets. It's honestly not worth the risk. If you have a feeders supply you can get 100 for $8.00 which is not ideal, but is better than losing a friend.

Embee

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Thanks you guys! :D I actually just came in from dumping the lot, and found your posts. I thought to myself "if I were responding to such a post, what would I tell the poster?" No contest. My garbage receptacle is now a cricket graveyard. Poor pathetic little things. Yeesh.

Indeed, playing it safe is always the best way to go. I feel silly for even asking. :oops: :wink:

Thanks again!

Em

clbauman7

Hatchling Member
Em

hehe don't feel silly for asking. Us new beardie owners need answers to all the questions we can get! And I know I personally don't want to drive everyone nuts by being the only one asking "dumb" question lol :D

Julie

Embee

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Ah thanks, Julie.

Flukers was kind enough to execute my replacement order "just in time" and it went out yesterday, so I'll have new crickets today sometime (hopefully not dead-LOL). :?

In the meantime, the pet store actually had 1/2 inch crickets yesterday (they call them their "larges"), and while I asked for 6 dozen, they gave me more like 8 dozen so all is well in beardie land. :mrgreen:

Thanks again,
Em

clbauman7

Hatchling Member
I LOVE when the pet store does that. I think we are going to start buying the crickets online too.
Julie

Embee

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Twobeardieguy":b89c3 said:
Online is the way to go!!!!!!!!

Indeed! I probably shouldn't post this because I wouldn't want to draw attention to the error, but when Flukers "replaced" my order free of charge, they somehow "doubled" it. ??? I was thrilled when I received my replacement order the very next day, but imagine my surprise when FedEx showed up the DAY AFTER THAT and handed me yet, 500 more crickets?! :shock:

Uh, thanks. :dontknow: OK! :D I'm in crickets for a good bit and I'm glad to report that *both* replacement orders were in great shape. Robust batches they are! :mrgreen:

The best,
Em

peera

Sub-Adult Member
Em, I'm now worried what my order on Tuesday's going to look like!

I had a similar occurrence during that cold snap in December, I will never EVER deal with llreptiles again after that. I lost 2000 crickets because the $#&*^%&** they shipped the crickets with took over a week to get them to me, in an unheated van, and then left them in the snow. I could have dealt with it if they shipped them fed-ex or UPS, but they chose a carrier that only operates in CA/NV/UT... To deliver to me in WA, and they wouldn't do a THING about it besides put a note in my account to start delivering UPS. I'm glad to hear Fluker's is a more stand-up company. And the extras are a nice bonus!

Embee

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
peera":244fc said:
Em, I'm now worried what my order on Tuesday's going to look like!

I had a similar occurrence during that cold snap in December, I will never EVER deal with llreptiles again after that. I lost 2000 crickets because the $#&*^%&** they shipped the crickets with took over a week to get them to me, in an unheated van, and then left them in the snow. I could have dealt with it if they shipped them fed-ex or UPS, but they chose a carrier that only operates in CA/NV/UT... To deliver to me in WA, and they wouldn't do a THING about it besides put a note in my account to start delivering UPS. I'm glad to hear Fluker's is a more stand-up company. And the extras are a nice bonus!

Arg Peera!

That's terrible! I actually read a recent thread where someone had trouble dealing with Flukers on a similar matter and so when this happened I placed the phone call with a tad of trepidation. They weren't especially wonderfully nice, but cordial enough and certainly made amends in any case. Hope you experience same!

It's great to see you around again, btw. Getting through those blurry first few weeks and months of baby I imagine? I'd remember it "all too well" myself, if only I could remember it... LOL :mrgreen:

The best,
Em

peera

Sub-Adult Member
Thanks! :) Yeah, the first month was kind of rocky because we had feeding and weight issues, but once we got that figured out it's actually been pretty smooth sailing. He's a great, calm baby, and he's sleeping a full 10 hours at night now and it's the BEST! LOL Now I actually have time for my poor neglected scale babies again!

Embee

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
peera":08324 said:
Thanks! :) Yeah, the first month was kind of rocky because we had feeding and weight issues, but once we got that figured out it's actually been pretty smooth sailing. He's a great, calm baby, and he's sleeping a full 10 hours at night now and it's the BEST! LOL Now I actually have time for my poor neglected scale babies again!

Oh, I'm so glad things smoothed out for you. Those early weeks can be so tough! He sounds wonderful! 10 hours! I was never so lucky until DS was about what um, 4, 5? EEK. Ah yes, I remember all too well that our previous children (3 cats) fell way to the bottom of the totem pole when DS (Gibby!) was born. I swore I woudn't let it happen but it did... our first few weeks were rocky as well and I was walking around in a daze most of the time if memory serves.

Alas, every living thing in the home is getting the love and attention they so deserve now (well, we've had this killing of house plants thing happening but aside from that...) Oh and well, now that beardie is our 'new baby' perhaps some might accuse me of neglecting others on behalf of the dear dragon. :oops:

The best, and congrats on Mommyhood (um, to a fellow human that is). :mrgreen:
Em

peera

Sub-Adult Member
Yay, they got here very much alive and clicking and being generally creepy insects, so I can stop worrying.. This time! I'm very much hoping I can coax Ms Priss into growing 2 1/2 more inches so I can move her over to supers...

Lol, I'm a fellow plant killer. I feel SOOO guilty, my late MIL was a Master Gardener, and we moved into their home to take over the family business after she passed, and it's like a plant graveyard now... And don't get me started on outside.. *sigh*

Oh, my goodness, 4-5 years? I don't know what I'd do... I'm such a bad sleeper than on one hand, it was easy to get up when he got up at 1:30, 4:30, 6:30... But on the other, if I was actually sleeping at those times, I NEEDED it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tangel256
Top Bottom