Rosie's sick!

Status
Not open for further replies.

beardie parents

BD.org Sicko
Something really wieard happened last evening. Rosie pooped on me (she's never done that) about 8:30pm. She never pooped that late. Then this morning we woke up to hear her moving around in her tank and undigested zuchinni squash in her tank that she had eaten yesterday. She also has a black beard (never has it this earlier usually gets one after she's been outside for 30 to 45 minutes) and a slight black last half of her tail. Her eyes are sunken in and she's now sleeping on my shoulder. She did eat 5 super worms for me earlier. I can't help wondering if she ate too many in too short of a time.

I believe she's never been really healthy because she never had a good appetite. I guess we should be grateful we've had her for as long as we did. We bought her from lllreptile in September of 08 and a few days after that I read on this site about their beardies not being really healthy and I was scared that we wouldn't have her for very long. Now it's been almost one year and 7 months later and she's still with us, now this. She used to be really sweet and not mean to Goldie but lately she (mostly outside) would head bob and then attack Goldie, head bump her and I wonder if it was because she wasn't feeling good but we didn't notice yet and it made her meaner and not as sweet.

We don't have any baby food on hand as we don't really use it much. She's been active lately as normal. I am going to soak her but I wanted her to warm up on me first. We had to clean out her tank of the undigested food first.

zebraflavencs

Extreme Poster
I would just puree some cooked squash, lukewarm.
I wonder.. did she possibly eat late last night from her salad ? I would hold off on the proteins for now, until she is passing digested squash.
Hope she feels better !

beardie parents

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
No, she never eats late. They usually don't eat after 2 pm. She had plenty of heat after eating, from outside and her viv. We have the accurite digital with probe ($12 one). I'm wondering if this is because buying her from lll reptile.

Goonie

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Lori, I don't know what to say but that I hope Rosie will be feeling better and that it was just a matter of a tummy upset.
How had the weather been in AZ? Could she simply be reacting to the change in weather??

beardie parents

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
I don't know. The weather is always changing here. It gets windy, then it's not, then it is. She did have plenty of heat after eating as she was outside for about 1.5 hours or more. The high yesterday here was supposed to be about 90f. She was in the sun for more than an hour, maybe closer to 2 yesterday. She ate the 5 supers (3 then 2 minutes later) then we took both of them outside. She seemed ok then, she was active and roming alot as usual. The only real change is she hasn't climbed any trees in the last few months. Last year she always liked to climb trees. We even have a picture of her climbing one of our clothes hampers, she seemed to like to climb but lately the only climbing she's done is up the pillows into the window basking spot we rigged up.

Do they get a tummy upset when they are too hot? She had a tummy upset the day after we first got her, I had the accurite digital in a plastic tub that I had the reptisun 10 on, it didn't seem like I could keep the temps correct in that. She didn't want to eat for several days. We are going to town later this afternoon to get some baby food (if she's still with us) to help her want to eat. I've always been concerned with her overall health. As a baby (supposedly we got her at 3.5 months old) she only ate on the average 8 crickets and that was every other day. Once she ate 22 crickets in one day but nothing the next day. I've never seen a baby beardie that would eat that few crickets. She seems to love outside so I'm going to take them both outside here in a few minutes, unless you all feel that isn't a good idea for a sick beardie.

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
So sorry to hear about Rosie.Have you had her checked for parasites?
I would get her on a probiotic now to try to get her gut flora in check and see if that does not help.I think Benebac would be great if you can get some.Also might not be a bad idea to start her on some critical care formula to see if you can get her balanced out.Do you have an infared temp gun? It is also possible her temps may need adjustment.

Taking into some natural sun would be good,that can never hurt.

beardie parents

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
Thanks, no we don't have a temp gun we use the $12 accurite digital with probe. I've been wanting to get the temp gun but haven't been able to, to many other things to take care of. I'm going to put her leash on as she's always been very active, more active than Redrock ever was.

I have some reptaid that's still good for a month or so I will try that. I tried to have a fecal done on her but she didn't give me a poop when we were going to the vet and never have gotten back to them with one. Accourding to the vet, Speedy had coccidia at a #2 so they figured out Rosie did to. I didn't feel that was anything to worry about. Maybe I should have had another one done on her locally. I've already thrown out the one she did on me last night.

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
beardie parents":3u0yf92n said:
Thanks, no we don't have a temp gun we use the $12 accurite digital with probe. I've been wanting to get the temp gun but haven't been able to, to many other things to take care of. I'm going to put her leash on as she's always been very active, more active than Redrock ever was.

I have some reptaid that's still good for a month or so I will try that. I tried to have a fecal done on her but she didn't give me a poop when we were going to the vet and never have gotten back to them with one. Accourding to the vet, Speedy had coccidia at a #2 so they figured out Rosie did to. I didn't feel that was anything to worry about. Maybe I should have had another one done on her locally. I've already thrown out the one she did on me last night.
I know what you mean about other things...lol.
Glad you have the repta-aid I think that will help.I do think it is a good idea to get that fecal done.Sonce she has already been seen I am sure you can just drop it off at the vet without having to bring her in.I hope the fresh air helps her out a bit.I know what you mean about the energy levels,none of mine can go outside with out a leash.They would run in a flash!

beardie parents

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
We've been outside for about an hour, I think. She was on my shoulder and then leaning on my leg for awhile. We moved closer to the shade so the greens we feed them (hand fed) don't spoil too fast and she tried to climb down my husbands back (either that or fell) but with her leash on she didn't go far. I wish we would have kept a leash on Redrock more, maybe when she fell she wouldn't have hurt herself. Anyway, Rosie ran from me and ran (not as fast as normal but faster than I expected her to) to the tree well so she could be in the shade.

Her black beard was diminishing somewhat but it tends to increase while she's outside sometimes, tho it's really hard to get her to want to come in, even with her black beard, this is when she's feeling normally.

We are beginning to wonder if she ate a weed that upset her stomach. She will refuse the greens we have for her (bok choy now) but then will go for one of the weeds in our front yard. If it wasn't for all the rabbits here I would have a lot more flowers outside.

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
beardie parents":2wwzaa0o said:
We've been outside for about an hour, I think. She was on my shoulder and then leaning on my leg for awhile. We moved closer to the shade so the greens we feed them (hand fed) don't spoil too fast and she tried to climb down my husbands back (either that or fell) but with her leash on she didn't go far. I wish we would have kept a leash on Redrock more, maybe when she fell she wouldn't have hurt herself. Anyway, Rosie ran from me and ran (not as fast as normal but faster than I expected her to) to the tree well so she could be in the shade.

Her black beard was diminishing somewhat but it tends to increase while she's outside sometimes, tho it's really hard to get her to want to come in, even with her black beard, this is when she's feeling normally.

We are beginning to wonder if she ate a weed that upset her stomach. She will refuse the greens we have for her (bok choy now) but then will go for one of the weeds in our front yard. If it wasn't for all the rabbits here I would have a lot more flowers outside.
It is definately possible that she ate something that upset her tummy,even a bad super could do it although usually with bad feeders they throw up.Do you know if any pesticides are used in proximity to where she has been eating weeds? What weeds did she eat?

beardie parents

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
BTW Vicky, we have the Reptaid, not the Repta- aid. I know the names can get confusing. We've given her the Reptaid ever soo often but she hasn't shown any illness from it.

beardie parents

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
I don't know what weeds we have in our yard. Bill (by husband) makes sure to not use pestisides near where they usually are, we have 4.8 acres of mostly tumble weeds and they are a real challenge to keep gone. You can dig up 2 of them and then have 20 more take it's place. We dig up the ones near the house, but we use the pestisides out a couple of hundred feet from our back door and they are outside the front door 99.9% of the time.

Edit: BTW: the superworms we ordered from Mulberry Farms and Goldie, who seems fine, has eaten the same supers that Rosie has. Maybe she just ate to much as the only food item we found in her viv was a zuchinni piece, I believe. I didn't look real good and Bill cleaned it up quickly but I don't remember seeing any superworms, peices or whole in her tank.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Critter Guy
Top Bottom