Rocco doesn't seem to be eating

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nykeri

I've had Rocco now for about four weeks, and he doesn't seem to be eating regularly. I cleaned his habitat this morning and there are still about five crickets (smalls) running around and he showed no interest in going after them. It seems as though he does munch a bit on the celery I put in for him but I am a quite concerned momma about his not scarfing down crickets. He mostly basks, but is pretty active when I upset his routine! He likes to hang on to my finger while I pet him... Temperatures are good, not running a night light, misting twice daily so he does drink. Any thoughts?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It's good that he is active and basking. Can you post some updated photos of him? I advise taking crickets out of the tank after feeding time. It's easiest to offer just a few at a time in batches so you can track them more easily.

Nykeri

Original Poster
this was taken this morning.... will do on the crickets... and he's partially shedded since I've had him.

102153-4343410051.jpg

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
He doesn't look very alert in that photo. Have you been tracking his weight? If not, I'd start doing so to see if he's losing much. You have a T5 UVB tube for him correct? How far is it above his basking area?

If he continues not wanting to eat, try offering him some baby food squash or sweet potato and see if he will lick that off of his nose. If he won't eat or drink that way then a vet visit may be a good idea.

Nykeri

Original Poster
Rocco is very active in his viv, exploring his little world and getting around. He basks with his head held high, and the other day, he actually did a left-hand wave! He drinks water quite a bit when I mist him down, and likes to run when I try to catch him... he just doesn't seem to be eating his crickets - he does eat the veggies I provide for him. Still concerned,

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
OK if he is active like that then that's reassuring. If he is drinking water and alert then he is probably OK and may just need some more time to start in on the bugs.

Nykeri

Original Poster
I'm going to take him to the vet on the 5th. In the meantime, I ordered a gram scale to measure his weight and also got a food supplement (Oxbow Carnivore and Herbivore Care Pet).

vrenee1018

Juvie Member
Have you tried offering a different feeder? I know after a bit, my Tampico started not caring for crickets and as soon as I put small dubia into her diet, she loved them and never touched crickets again. I do second taking the crickets out of the tank. I've read from multiple sources that crickets can bite the beardies and we all know that is a no go! Hope he starts eating soon!

Nykeri

Original Poster
So Rocco is doing well despite his irregular cricket eating habit - I swear he's a vegetarian! I've gotten a scale and his weight is scaling upward; he's now about 5.5 inches long and weighs 6.44 grams. I'm taking him to the vet for a wellness check on Saturday, but things are looking good. I'm also going to try Dubia roaches to see if he likes those better.

Nykeri

Original Poster
Took Rocco for a wellness check on Saturday and he got a clean bill of health - found a wonderful and knowledgeable Herp Vet in NE Ohio BTW, Dr. Brooks at Kent-Stow Vet. He now weighs 8 grams and is scaling upward nicely. Today I introduced Dubia roaches and he gobbled them up - ate about 10 on the first serving, the most I've seen him eat. He ate right from me; I'd drop them right in front of him and wham! I also transferred him to a new 24x18x12 Exo-Terra viv... so he's doing quite well and I'm a happy mommy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom